View Single Post
Old 24th January 2005, 03:58 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Question

Plantar fasciitis/fasciosis, in my clinical experience is invariably assisted (at least short-term) by low-dye taping. What does low-dye taping do to rear-foot kinematics? Other than restrict the range closer to neutral position, probably very little.

What low-dye taping does do, and this perhaps supports Phil's theory, is that is has more of an influence on the mid and forefoot. I envisage that low-dye taping unquestionably removes tension from the plantar fascia structure, without the direct pressure exerted by a device without groove.

Low-dye taping, I envisage also pulls the 1st ray into plantar-flexion; and I assume the other rays...hence reducing tensile stress on FHB.

(Low-dye) taping isn't respected academically, in view of the consensus (I disagree with) that tape slackens in 20 minutes; but design me an orthotic device that does what low-dye taping does, and I will buy it.

Back to the topic now. Craig's study could not detect significant changes in RF motion in effective orthoses for plantar fasciits. This is mirrored clinically, IMO, due to the potent (albeit short-term) effect of low-dye taping on plantar-fasciitis; despite an assumed mild rear-foot influence.