Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

TOG gait scan

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Simon Spooner, Feb 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. All,

Yesterday foot soldier - Paul Barrett posted this in the foot scanning thread http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=21940:
    This morning I replied:
    You know this is twice this week I've been misquoted and misrepresented, my patience is beginning to wear thin. Paul, I've moved this back to the thread where it belongs to make it easy for you. Start with the first post, I wrote:
    Then LCBL, who incidentally is based in Ireland, wrote:
    Paul, I look forward to a public apology from you, then I'll say what I really feel. I just hope the technology you sell is more accurate than you are. BTW, you can't even spell your own job title correctly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Weird,

In his post to me above, and in the foot scanning thread http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=21940 footsoldier called himself:

but in the Neurological leg pain thread http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=22013, he calls himself:
    To quote Gavin and Stacey: "Oh! What's occurring?"

Still waiting for that apology Paul or Sean or whatever you like to call yourself on a Friday night.

3. footsoldier

footsoldier Member

Hi Simon,
    this is the real me ie Sean here. Dr Paul Barrett used my login details to view the post on The TOG discussion. We had been discussing the thread via email when he asked to see the thread on the forum .I did give him my details to view the thread. I didn't think he would post this reply without my permission. I must apologise as I had no idea he was using my name to do so and I have discussed this with him. I hope that this will explain this ambiguity.
    I have since changed my login details. I would like to offer my aplogies to all forum members.
    Sean

4. Sean, thanks for that. But I'd like Paul Barrett to come back on here and apologise in person. Although, I suspect that he won't be man enough to do that.

5. footsoldier

footsoldier Member

Hi Simon,
    I will pass your comments on.
    Have a nice weekend
    Sean

6. Just as I suspected then...

Take this mouth
    So quick to criticise
    Take this mouth
    Give it a kiss

Yahweh, Yahweh

7. Hmmmm. I'm Gonna get toasted for this but what the hell.

I will now defend gaitscan.

I don't use gaitscan / togscan. Never have. Probably will never get the chance. However i do have some idea of what it produces. Looks a lot like the stuff produced by other labs. I also have heard good anecdotal results although that means exactly squat.

We know that in clinical trials, horribly flawed by the N=1 syndrome as they all are, some pre fabs produce results comparable with "custom casted" (which is usually nothing of the sort, it just a root neutral which i don't consider especially custom!).

We also know, because we've all seen them limp in, that some podiatrists issue the most gruesome dogs of orthotics with little understanding of what they are doing. To much prescribing freedom is dangerous in some hands.

We know that when our lovingly and precisely casted device gets sent to the lab with its unreliable calc bisection and foot morphology it gets a shedload of plaster whacked in the arch as cast "correction". So the final device is not all that custom anyway!

So here we have a provider with a kit which looks, frankly, the dogs danglies. More flashing lights than the inside of the milennium falcon. Most impressive to the patient. A system which spits out a broadly speaking homogenous device (interesting choice of words, semi-customised device) with little oppertunity for the prescribed to B****x it up. A pre fab plus if you will, with a strong dose of "patient education" / Placebo plus thrown in (don't knock it, it works!).

I think that this product would, for some podiatrists, produce better devices and results as an average than doing it the old fashioned way!

Also faintly reminiscant of the Talar made system of "custom pre fabs". A few gross foot types are identified and devices to suit are produced. More custom than "one design fits all" pre fabs but not as custom as a true custom device (by which i don't mean a root functional neutral shell.)

Regards
    RObert

8. Moose

Moose Active Member

Hi Folks. I love my gaitscan. Never make orthotics from it of course but the way it helps you tell pts they have 1st ray incompetence and that they need some (real) orthotics is A1. Having said that, I want another one. Anyone want to sell???

9. drsha

drsha Banned

If I'm not mistaken,
    Are we aware that The Orthotic Group currently owns Langer Lab?

Dr Sha

10. Moose

Moose Active Member

I just want to buy a plate... not the company.

11. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

LOL inspired!

12. Mramadan

Mramadan Welcome New Poster

This is my first post on the forum, and really enjoyed the dialogue between my colleagues here.
    It's been really helpful in my decision, and has given me a fantastic amount of knowledge in a short amount of time about a company I knew very little about till now.
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input, it has been really helpful to me.