View Single Post
Old 12th December 2004, 02:37 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Payne
But the evidence is also clear, that when we try to do it, it dosen't actually happen, but the patient still gets better .... don't figure .... remind me in 6 months to come back to this thread with what I hope is the answer with the evidence.
Here I go with a "conjecture-vs-science" comment :) .
I found my patients got better too, but I suspect not for the reasons I was taught.

Nowadays, by using mostly small (2 degree) FF posting only for the majority of my patients they still get better. I notice that they respond as fast but with not so much of the acclimatising problems I used to have with 4-degree rearfoot posts. Devices can be smaller too :) .
I still use heel-lifts as needed.

As an aside to that, in conjunction with a colleague and a well-known USA lab, this summer we developed a casted device which can be used in a soccer boot. Professional players in the UK (and guys from outside the UK but who play for UK clubs) pretty much all wear their boots anywhere from one to three sizes too small. Hence there's a problem getting a rearfoot-posted device into the boot along with the foot. The FF-posted soccer orthoses are currently used by some of the players from two Premiership Division clubs - they're comfortable straight away, the player can still wear his boots too small, and they seem to be working !

Look forward to your research findings Craig.
Cheers,
David