Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Pathomechanics

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Dikfeld, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Dikfeld

Dikfeld Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everybody,

Does anyone know where I could find an actual definition of pathomechanics so I could define it and be able to reference it in my assignment?

Cheers,

Dick

2. it appears from a quick search NO strange that a word used alot is not defined- the medline dictionary had no results.

But I guess it would be defined as mechanics which lead to pathology, which is why in your other thread it was discussed that there is a limit on definitive research.

3. Which is why I said, you need to define "pathomechanics" in the other thread, Dikfeld.

4. Jeff Root

Jeff Root Well-Known Member

Pathomechanics is a word construction. It derives its meaning directly from its sub parts. I have posted three definitions below from the free dictionary as a reference.

The resulting definition of pathomechanics is a direct combination of the definitions above.
    Pathomechanics: the cause, origin, and nature of disease that is concerned with the analysis of the action of forces on matter or material systems.

It is identical to using terms like calcaneocuboid joint, which depends on the anatomical description of two independent bones in order to have meaning.

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

I wonder if 'pathomechanics' is technically classed as a portmanteau?

6. Dikfeld

Dikfeld Member

Thanks for the helpful responses and yeah it would surely have to be classed at a "Portmanteau" although i'm no genius in linguistics...

Thanks for that post Jeff has definitely helped me out, although i still find it weird that a word used so often does not actually have a definition in any medical texts...

7. Jeff Root

You could always use terms like mechanically induced pathology or biomechanically related pathology that would enable you to avoid use of the term pathomechanics, if the lack of a written definition concerns you.

8. Jeff Root

Here is an online definition that I found. It is interesting that there don't appear to be any definitions in any online dictionaries that show up in a google search. This is a clear and simple definition and I like the fact that it mentions both structure and function.

http://www.reocities.com/chacalos/glossary.htm
    pathomechanics: Mechanical forces that are applied to a living organism and adversely change the body's structure and function.

9. So, pathomechanics are the forces which result in dysfunction. So in your presentation Dick you should only talk about forces, not structure
    ;)

10. Dick:

When confronted by such a word as "pathomechanics", where there is no definition that is readily available, I first question whether this word is really a necessary addition to my vocabulary. In other words, does the word describe something that I couldn't describe with more commonly used and better defined words?

The definition of "pathomechanics" should be, as I understand it how it is used as follows: the study of the abnormal forces acting on and within the body that causes pathology.

"Pathomechanics" is not synonymous with "mechanically-induced pathology" or "biomechanically related pathology" since "pathomechanics" is primarily a study of abnormal biomechanics not primarily a study of pathology.

When I speak or write, I prefer to simply use the term "biomechanics of pathology" instead of "pathomechanics". I think this is a much more clear and better understood phrase that means the same thing.

Hope this helps.

11. Jeff Root

It is a study of both mechanics and pathology.

psy·cho·path (sk-pth)
    n.
    A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

How could you classify a person as a psychopath if they didn't display any pathological behavior?

Sincerely, Bob Smith the orphaned lab owner who doesn't know his "roots" but studied the work of John H. Weed, DPM et al

12. Petcu Daniel

Petcu Daniel Well-Known Member

Hope this will help !

"PATHOMECHANICS
    As defined previously, locomotor biomechanics is the application of mechanical laws to living systems in motion.
    Pathomechanics can then be defined as the mechanics of living systems in motion resulting in, or leading to, dysfunction or injury."

Larry P. Brown, Patricia Yavorsky, "Locomotor Biomechanics and Pathomechanics: A Review", JOSPT Vol. 9, No. 1, July 1987

Daniel

13. Griff

Griff Moderator

14. Dikfeld

Dikfeld Member

Thanks Daniel! Very nice work on finding this article! Has helped me alot!

Cheers,

Dick