Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New Book!: Lower Extremity Biomechanics:Theory and Practice

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by Kevin Kirby, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It has been a long time coming, but I finally have my hands on a book that Eric Fuller and I wrote a chapter for on Subtalar Joint Axis Location and Tissue Stress Approach to Biomechanical Therapy of the Foot and Lower Extremity. The title of the book: Lower Extremity Biomechanics: Theory and Practice, Volume 1, edited by Stephen F. Albert and Sarah A. Curran. It is published by Bipedmed, LLC, Denver, Colorado, 2013. The book may be ordered at: http://www.bipedmed.com/

Jeff Root wrote the foreward for the book and Eric Lee wrote the introduction for the book. In addition, Larry Harkless, Chris MacLean, Howard Dananberg and Simon Spooner all wrote comments about the book on the back cover. The book is 330 pages.

Even though Eric Fuller and I wrote this chapter back in 2005 (yes, eight years ago!), and I sometimes thought this book may never be published due to the multiple delays, I am very excited and glad to have Eric's and my hard work finally see the light of day. I worked harder and longer on this chapter than any other article or chapter I have ever written and illustrated. Therefore, I hope you all will enjoy our chapter as much as I am enjoying seeing it now finally in print.

I believe that a book such as this, focusing heavily on foot and lower extremity biomechanical theory and its practical clinical application, has never been attempted before and it is my opinion that a book such as this is sorely needed in our profession. It should significantly add to the foot and lower extremity biomechanics literature.

Here is what Simon Spooner said about the book on it's back cover (great comments Simon!!):

2. Congratulations to both you and Eric, Kevin. As I was given the honour to review this book prior to publication, I can honestly say that it is a good book. There are bits which I thought were questionable in their inclusion, but overall I thought it was pretty darn good. I got to ask... did the textbox in chapter 4 credit me, or was it removed?

P.S. I'm sure the last sentence of my endorsement wasn't lost on you, Kevin.

3. Pages 125-126 has a highlighted short article titled: Expert Opinion: The Structure of the Metatarsal Arc by Dr. Simon K. Spooner

Your article is right after Demp's model and right before Maximal Arch Supination Stabilization (MAASS) Positional Theory, Neoteric Biomechanics, Functional Foot Typing System and Tensegrity.

Your article actually looks quite nice in the book, Simon. I just got my book in the mail yesterday so hopefully yours will arrive soon also.:drinks

4. Yeah, that was a good one, Simon.

In looking back through my computer files, we wrote the first outline for the book on August 20, 2003 (nearly ten years ago!) and we had the chapter written by December 19, 2004. I did the first illustration for the chapter on November 16, 2004 and the 48th illustration for the chapter on January 11, 2005.

Lots and lots of work. Hopefully some use will come from all of it.:drinks

5. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Congrats and look forward to reading it!

Steven

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ...except you can't order it if you live outside the USA and Canada an... not off to a good start.

7. Given the history, this book was never going to be "off to a good start", but hopefully with some "overseas" requests, they'll get their house in order ASAP.

8. Amen to that....but....as they say....better late than never!

I did e-mail Stephen Albert to let him know that he will likely be getting requests for the book from Podiatry Arena subscribers.

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

I just sent emails (via the contact page) to Dr Curran and Dr Albert asking how I could order this from the UK - both bounced back saying the email addresses were not in use.

If anyone finds out can they let us all know please.

10. blinda

blinda MVP

Yep. Put me on the list.

Indeed, congratulations to both you and Eric. Also to Simon for being acknowledged for his expert opinion:drinks

11. phil

phil Active Member

Yes, let me know how to get one into AUS.

12. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

Sarah Curran is a friend of a friend of mine so I emailed for a bit of info ;) She says it is at the press now and should be available in the UK within the next month. I don't know about availability Down Under, but I'm sure it'll be worldwide soon

13. Petcu Daniel

Petcu Daniel Well-Known Member

Very interesting book ! Congratulation !
    I've tried this month to buy the books written by Merton Root from Root Weed Books, through Amazon. I couldn't do it because Romania wasn't included in the "Supported Countries" list ! So frustrated feeling !

I would like to order this book - hope there will be a solution for Romania also!
    Respectfully,
    Daniel

14. frederic G

frederic G Active Member

I would like to order this book too, I'm in France.

Frédéric Guiot

15. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

Since your garnering orders for your new book.

Any chance on getting a signed copy?

Will any chapter will include the use of advaced composites in the treatment of pedal pathologies?

Mahalo,
    Steve

16. kcookphysio

kcookphysio Welcome New Poster

Certainly the ISBN (9780978896102) returns no results in the UK yet!

17. frederic G

frederic G Active Member

I just ordered the book to France. :D

18. crisic

crisic Member

I tried to order this book, but as much as I would like it, 41 dollars shipping to Europe seems excessive to me. Is that normal? I usually buy books in US and there is no more than 5-12 dollars shipping to Europe. This is inhuman.

19. Lab Guy

If they ship via the United States Post Office the cost is substantially less as they have special rates for books.

Steven

20. dottiekat

dottiekat Member

Student podiatrist wondering if there could be any discount for bulk purchase for students at university of East london - 30 to 50 copies? Can we get a quote?

21. Lab Guy

Did you go to Bipedmed.com and ask? To me, 2500 copies is considered a bulk purchase, 30 to 50 is nothing.

The book is $110 and in my opinion is already a huge bargain for the very best book on biomechanics out there..Period. This one book will give you a phenomenal foundation in biomechanics and greatly elevate your clinical skills. If I was the publisher, I would never lower the intrinsic value of this book by discounting it for any reason. This is not one of those kind of books.

Steven

22. dottiekat

dottiekat Member

Thanks for replying. I'm a naive student :)