Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry in Germany & Switerland

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by claire g, Jan 1, 2009.

1. claire g

claire g Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi does anyone know about the possibilities of working in either of these 2 countries? Also of any online journals from either, I am fluent in German so thats ok, as it would broaden my horizons. Einlagen ae big business in Germany so that would be interesting to find out more. Thanks for any help

2. B. Englund

B. Englund Active Member

as far as i know podiatry is not a academic proffession in germany. I belive foot health practioners mainly work in private practice over there. the education i think is two years in private schools earning a diploma or some sort of alike. so there will probably not be podiatry jobs availible in the context u are use to.

Björn Englund
    Stockholm, Sweden

3. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

Wow! Thank you! I was just looking for the same info, as I too, speak German.

4. fiona673

fiona673 Welcome New Poster

Hi Claire,
    Have you contacted the Schweizerischer Podologen Verband SPV?
    A web address that will tell you about podiatry in CH is www.podologie.ch

The main problem will be getting your UK qualification recognised,as without it, the health insurances will not pay, so all work would have to be on a private basis.

The other area which maybe a problem is getting indemnity insurance, as our professional body ( the Society of Podiatrists and Chiriopodists) will not insure you to work outside the UK or at least that was the case. Switzerland is a special case as well, as it is not part of the EEC.

Hope that gets you started with your investigation!
    Fiona

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  5. Bill Bird

Bill Bird Active Member

Clair,
    I am going to be visiting a large supplier of orthopaedic materials in Duisburg (www.minke.de) and then on to visit the orthopaedic footwear department of the University of Hanover in the first week in February. I will ask for you.
    Bill Bird

6. hans walgraeve

hans walgraeve Welcome New Poster

Hi Claire,

In 'German' Switserland podiatry is a Fachschule education as in Germany. In the French part however Lausanne) it is a three year bachelor-type education.

As a podiatry teacher with Swiss experience I met the respnsible from Lausanne last time at the FIP Congres, so I may have a business card somewhere.
    By the way, Swiss german is quite different from 'general' German, it took me a ccouple of months to learn it.

7. hjones11

hjones11 Member

Hi Everyone

I have been qualifed for two years and worked in private practice for this period. I really want to do a placement in germany if anyone has any information or contacts? I would be really grateful. Hospitals, practices or uni placements

I am happy to observe and not treat as i know insurance would be an issue.

fingers crossed

helen

8. madhavajay

madhavajay Welcome New Poster

Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has any information about working as a Diabetic Podiatrist in Germany?

I understand German is probably required, but what I can't figure out is how the qualifications transfer. I have found this website:
    http://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/tools/berater/en/berater/result

and contacted them, however they want submissions in person and I have heard it can take 3-6 months.

What I want to know is what is the outcome of transferring a BSc (Hons) in Podiatric Medicine from the UK into the German system?

What are the job outcomes. I know that there is private practise but I believe its boring non high risk care.

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone has about whom to contact or speak to. I have send a tonne of emails to places I have found on Google but so far have gotten no clear response. What I would like to do is speak to someone who actually has worked in Diabetic Podiatry in Germany.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Madhava

9. sonakshee

sonakshee Welcome New Poster

hi, i am currently learning deutsch in germany. i really want to study pediatry , but i don't know which state university i should look for.
    please help me out. where and how can i apply for Bsc pediatry.
    please...

10. Hi Madhava,

I'm just wondering if you managed to get some information since you posted last? I'm looking into the same topic now myself :)