Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Orthotic Lab options

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steve5572, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Steve5572

Steve5572 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I would like to trial different orthotic Labs in Victoria. However most dont seem to have websites unless there selling prefabs and in general seem to be difficult to find.
    Can u please tell me what orthotic Labs u use or know of?
    No self promotions or advertisements please.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Steve, I moved this to the Australia forum as I assume you mean Victoria, Australia and not Victoria, Canada? Let me know if not.

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The Melbourne labs I can think of are:
    • The Orthotic Laboratory (TOL)
    • Footworks
    • Peninsula Podiatric Lab (PPL)
    • Davinci Kinetics
    • Orthotech
    • Melbourne Podiatric Lab
    There are a couple of others, but can't recall there names at the moment

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  4. Richard Chasen

Richard Chasen Active Member

Also K-Tech, to add to Craig's list

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Thanks Richard - I did know about them, but the name escaped me....

6. Dean Hartley

Dean Hartley Active Member

FootCraft (previously Albury Orthotic Laboratory) - this lab is on the border, in Albury. Technically NSW, but you can pretty much see the river from the lab...

Dean

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. Steve5572

Steve5572 Active Member

Thank you all.
    This should give me a few options to trial.

Steve

8. kahlilwilson

kahlilwilson Welcome New Poster

check out www.orthotech.com.au if you would like a lab in Victoria, they have a website and promote custom orthotics.

9. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Hello Khalil,

I am curious as to your opinion of ScanAny in the market there is Australia, also what percentage of your providers use the system vs. plaster?

I own a ScanAny system and have used it in the past but there was only a couple of labs in the US supporting it and they appear to have vanished.

Regards,

10. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Thats the problem with any scanner based technology. If you do not want to use the lab you got it off any more, then you are left with a 'white elephant', as it not transferable to another lab.

11. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

DaVinci

That is 100% true in my experience. I also have noticed that some of the labs that produce orthoses from these proprietary digital scanners are substandard.

ScanAny is a very good system as is their lab software but none of the quality labs here in the U.S. appear to be willing to abandon existing technology. This is especially true of their investment in a scanning system that is in place and tried and true for plaster and foam box casts.

I had three gripes with the ScanAny system:

1. Lighting does affect the integrity of the scan, as does distance and angle. You can achieve a good scan but it is not as consistent as one would hope.

2. The calcaneus is difficult to capture adequately with stereo optics in 3D.

3. Lack of choice of quality and PFOLA approved labs.

12. Lorraine Munro

Lorraine Munro Active Member

Hello,
    Is there any reason why you are restricting yourself to Victoria? I am based in NSW and am really pleased with Patrick from Sole performance in Qld. Ive been using his lab for a number of years now.
    Regards Lorraine

13. meltonfc

meltonfc Member

I have used Artur's orthoses from Footworks for years now. The finish on the devices is first class and he is more than happy to help or fix any issues that you may have with the devices.

Over my time I have trialled orthoses from other labs in Vic - they don't compare when looking at fit and quality.;)

14. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

What I would really love is a definitive list of ALL of the podiatric foot orthosis labs in Australia.

Any takers?

LL

15. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

I would like a list too! I would like a 2 to 4 week placement in any lab in Australia.
    2nd year student at Newcastle.

16. dyfoot

dyfoot Active Member

I guess there aren't any takers.

I didn't find much on google.

Yellow pages might be better.

Cheers,

Brad Randazzo

17. dyfoot

dyfoot Active Member

Not much on Yellow pages online either!

This is the link to the pfola (prescription foot orthotic laboratory association) directory (international)
    www.nvo.com/pfola/memberdirectory.

Cheers,

Brad Randazzo

18. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi for those who went the the conference last week there were many labs there. Conferences are a good way to see what is out there. Perhaps the Apod Council can give you a list of those who exhibited at the trade displays.

Cheers

19. delpod

delpod Active Member

Original Poster,

I use a Victorian Lab called Podscan, they are located in Carrum Downs (near Frankston). They utilise laser scanning technology and are still able to make devices from plaster casts (laser scans the inside of the cast). I've been using them for a few months now and they produce an orthotic which not only looks great but seems to be VERY accurate (particularly with arch contour) - im yet to have a single patient complain of irritation in the arch or a feeling of "a bar under the arch" with these orthtotics. they do a direct milled EVA in a number of densities and the usual options of polyprop and EVA/poly combos etc. prices are quite good too!

20. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Or you could contact one of the suppliers who were selling the milling machines and software...there were plenty of those as well - first time I have ever seen that at a Pod Conference in that number and at that price!

21. scottmacpod

scottmacpod Welcome New Poster

We are currently looking for a new lab were I work, we find that we are mostly dealing in CFA devices.

Does any lab in particular have good CFA's to anyone's knowledge? or as they are CFA are they much of a muchness??

Feed back or recommendations would be great.

Cheers

22. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

What is a CFA?

LL

23. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Its the name used by one lab here in melbourne for their library device.

24. ceridwen

ceridwen Member

Footworks 'Joeys' are pretty good- a few different corrections available, and fit well into shoes

25. dragon_v723

dragon_v723 Active Member

i think cfa is the same as joeys?