Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Yoga toes

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by poppet, May 1, 2012.

1. poppet

poppet Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hi all,

a couple of pts have recently asked my opinion of yoga toes...didn't know they existed:eek: anyway...anyone know anything about them? all comments appreciated...the good the bad and the ugly :D

thanks
    poppet

2. dougpotter

dougpotter Active Member

I was just coming here to inquire myself, not so much as the "yoga toes" -- but wondering if wearing individual toe separaters now again again would contribute to strengthening intrinsic foot muscles.

3. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Doug

.....wondering if wearing individual toe separaters now again again would contribute to strengthening intrinsic foot muscles.

In theory the answer is probably yes. By offering resistance through the medium of yoga toes (depending on the matierial's modulus of elasticity and compression) would be the equivolent of bringing ground reaction to meet the plantar surface of subluxated toes during late propulsion to toe off. The resultant windlass action would have an anti- pronatory turning effect (or supinating moment) on the rearfoot. Determined by Newton's third law of motion the action reaction effect of standing on the material caught beneath the toes has the potential to increase the tone in both extrinsic and intrinsic musculature.

The three middle metatarsals offer the stable platform for propulsion and I would think optimal effect would be achived by running a viscoelastic platform under the three middle toes using the gaps between toe 1/2 and 4/5 as worthwile attachments.

What say you?
    toeslayer

5. poppet

poppet Active Member

thanks for the replies and have looked at the website...it seems that these devices are supposed to do their magic whilst non weightbearing so whilst the use of toe spreaders might be beneficial (as per toeslayers reply) i am not sure how effective this would be with a clump of silicone (or what ever the material is:wacko:) under the foot? just a thought;)
    thanks
    poppet

6. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

Having opened the link and seeing the design of them would toe separaters used when painting your toenails do a similar job ;)

7. srptdave

srptdave Welcome New Poster

If you want to get really good intrinsic foot activation, especially FHB in weight bearing, try 'correct toes' at www.nwfootankle.com I have been using these with really great success with runners in my clinic. It's actually quite remarkable how much improvement can be made in foot intrinsic strength and foot control when you align the first ray... I would go as far as to say this should be the first line of treatment when trying to improve pronation control... Think distal, dynamic control versus propping up... 'correct toes' are great for improving foot strength and control.

8. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi, and welcome.

That's deep water or fighting talk for a first post - depending on who is going to respond:D.

9. lucycool

lucycool Active Member

So you invented these and are selling them?!

Any evidence to support your suggestions?