Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatrist Recommends Forefoot Striking Versus Orthotics for Treating Running Injuries

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Feb 18, 2012.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Nick Campitelli, DPM, a consultant for Vibram FiveFinger shoes, has just posted a blog claiming that runners probably wouldn't need foot orthoses for running injuries if they only ran properly...by forefoot striking.

"In my practice, when runners bring up the question of what type of shoe they should be wearing, I explain that they first need to “learn how to run.” Then shoegear and orthotics become irrelevant." :bang::bash::craig:

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/do-runners-need-orthotics

I would appreciate if others made some comments on Dr. Campitelli's blog since I have commented before on his blogs and some new voices of reason would be appreciated.

2. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Just did - it has gone to the site administrators. I wonder if it will go through? ;)

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have no problems with recommending heel striking or forefoot striking or whatever depending on which tissues need to be offloaded long term as the joint moments are different with different running forms.

However, that article by Dr Campitelli is one of the worst cases of selective referencing, cherry picking and confirmation bias I have seen recently.

Its also interesting to see who is tweeting and retweeting this article .... those blinded by agendas who obviously did not notice the "selective referencing, cherry picking and confirmation bias" As I have repeatedly said:
    This is going to be another article added to the resource list to illustrate the point!

4. Athol Thomson

Athol Thomson Active Member

Agreed!

Just look at the paragraph on foot strike patterns in runners which has nothing to do with what the authors actually found in the Hasegawa H, Yamauchi T, Kraemer WJ.
    or Larson studies that he references.

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Those blinded by agendas tend to that a lot.

6. robby

robby Active Member

Hi Keven and all:

something else which has recently come up regarding striking position in athletes, has been discussed . I regularly 'teach' MOD physios in basic biomechanics, and whilst talking over lunch at one meeting it came up that they are now teaching military athletes and recovering squaddies to MIDFOOT strike when running. this takes time to teach and completely changes the running gait of the athlete, but apparently reduces repeat injury rate, and the thought now is that they will 're-educate' squaddies to long march/run in this manner.

it is a model which was initially instigated at Headley Court the main rehab centre for the MOD in the UK.

what are your thoughts regarding this?

Regards

Robby

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    BTW, this is partly was I mean by cherry picking, confirmation bias and selective referencing in reference to the article that KK started this thread with. The author was only to willing to cite references re the rearfoot striking, but ignored the forefoot striking risks.

8. Athol Thomson

Athol Thomson Active Member

Hi Robby,

I think Dr Andrew Franklyn-Miller is the MOD sports Doctor that is driving these changes in foot-strike patterns for MOD recruits.

There is an audio podcast available from the BJSM website below which is interesting. He discusses his thoughts about what he terms "biomechanical overload of the lower limb on the podcast.

http://podcasts.bmj.com/bjsm/2011/1...er-limb-injuries-with-andrew-franklyn-miller/

Worth a listen for sure.

Cheers,
    Athol

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

You may want to ask Craig Tanner about this, as Andrew F-M is now over at Aspetar in Qatar with him.

10. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

Really??!! wow.. when did that happen? i saw him at UKSEM in December and there was no mention of that at all..

11. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Yep- He arrived about a month ago. Look forward to working with him.

I will pick his brain further about the gait retraining, but my understanding is that they have had good success particularly with anterior compartment problems...

12. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

OK!!

guess he is not running UKSEM 2012 anymore!! pass on my best mate1

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Sorry, I think in a previous post I should have said internal moments and not external.

On a note, I see the latest issue of PM News carries this letter to the editor about the article that started this thread:

14. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Ouch!
    Agreed. All this has been great for business. We should be encouraging it.

15. Really, encouraging people to get injured - get some perspective

16. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was being facetious. Podiatrists have been accused of being afraid of the barefoot running trend because of all the injuries that will be prevented and the business that we would loose. The opposite has happened. As what was said in the PM News letter that CP posted, this has been good for business.

17. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

18. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    From the letter in PM News
    You only have to see who is posting this blog post on Twitter to see what Robert Steinberg is talking about. They have fallen for it. They blindly tweet stuff without even realizing that none of the references used actually support what is being claimed! ... don't figure!