Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Spring ligament rupture

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by m.e. mcgowan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. m.e. mcgowan

m.e. mcgowan Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    could someone help me I have a patient with a torn spring ligament conformed by MRI . I have never treated before but would conservative tx. be the way to go ? I'll refer if sx. is the way. thanks for any help. m.e.

2. Re: spring ligament

What caused the spring ligament rupture? Commonly tearing of the spring ligament is associated with posterior tibialis dysfunction and acquired flat foot. In these type of feet I would tend to go toward a polyprop device with a medial heel skive, deep heel cup, high medial / lateral flange and an internal oblique extrinsic rearfoot post design. High top boots are usually helpful too. Any photo's of the feet?

Surgical repair is an option.. http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/79-B/4/641.pdf

3. Alex Adam

Alex Adam Active Member

The spring Lig is supported by the medial process of the cuboid at a point just prior to and through to propusion. If you can find a lab to produce an original Root device, as set down in the original texts, and take a suspension cast holding STJ neutral while capturing MTP position you should note inprovment within 2 weeks and full repair within 12 weeks.
    I have had 4 cases over the past 12 months with this success.
    Hope this helps.

4. m.e. mcgowan

m.e. mcgowan Member

Re: spring ligament

simon, i was treating her heel pain/plantarfasciiitis of the contralateral limb and it was not improving therefore mri spring lig. rupture was finding of the asymptomatic foot she does not have a collapsed arch as with pttd but does pronate. I'm going with the polyprop device and treating conservatively. thanks so much for your reply and help.

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Anatomic Reconstruction Technique for a Plantar Calcaneonavicular (Spring) Ligament Tear
    Ezequiel Palmanovich et al
    JFAS; Article in Press