Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Dorsal Foot Pain

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by alicia.ball, Sep 26, 2008.

1. alicia.ball

alicia.ball Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a middle aged woman who complains of burning pain dorsal R/foot. The pain has had a slow onset over several months, and is progressing. There is no mechanism of injury. The pain is not aggravated or alleviated with walking or rest, position of foot/leg, or footwear.
    The pain is located proximal to the 3rd metatarsal head (approx 1cm) on the extensor tendon. The pain sometimes radiates out laterally.

There is no pain on flexion/extension of the third met, dorsiflexion or plantarflexion, or other resisted/passive movement. I can reproduce localised discomfort by applying pressure to the Extensor tendon in that one spot.

The patient has a history of a chronic wound apex 3rd met, however this was several years ago. No vascular problems noted.

The patient is beginning to get similar symptoms on the left foot.

Xray and ultrasound are both clear.

Any ideas???:wacko:

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. alicia.ball

alicia.ball Member

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to fit the symptoms. Any other ideas?

4. DSP

DSP Active Member

Alicia:

Have you tried percussing the superficial peroneal nerve at the anterior aspect of the ankle joint? Sometimes the nerve can become aggrevated due to osteophyte formation, tight footwear, oedema etc. Burning pain would also make me think that it could be something neurological.

Regards,

Daniel

5. Alicia:

Exactly how old is someone when they are "middle-aged"? Is there dorsal edema and is the tenderness on the 3rd metatarsal shaft? If it is, then it is likely a stress reaction (i.e pre-stress fracture) of the 3rd metatarsal shaft. Unless you can give us more information then it is unlikely that we will be able to help you or your patient.

6. alicia.ball

alicia.ball Member

Thanks guys, I am seeing the patient again this week and will try your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin:
    Middle age = age at death/2

Steve

8. Steve, I like your thinking.