Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Declining diabetes amputation rates

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by NewsBot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Declining Rates of Hospitalization for Nontraumatic Lower-Extremity Amputation in the Diabetic Population Aged 40 Years or Older: U.S., 1988–2008
    Diabetes Care February 2012 35:273-277
    Yanfeng Li, Nilka Ríos Burrows, Edward W. Gregg, Ann Albright, and Linda S. Geiss

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Amputations among people with diabetes can be reduced by 50 percent

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Lower limb amputation in Northern Netherlands: Unchanged incidence from 1991-1992 to 2003-2004.
    Fortington LV, Rommers GM, Postema K, van Netten J, Geertzen J, Dijkstra PU.
    Prosthet Orthot Int. 2013 Jan 17.

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Declines in Lower Extremity Amputation in the US Medicare Population, 2000-2010.
    Belatti DA, Phisitkul P.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Feb 5.

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    NHS welcomes fall in diabetic foot amputations in Portsmouth
    18/02/2013

7. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Trends in the incidence of lower extremity amputations in people with and without diabetes over a five-year period in the Republic of Ireland.
    Buckley CM, O'Farrell A, Canavan RJ, Lynch AD, De La Harpe DV, Bradley CP, Perry IJ.
    PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e41492.

9. Selwyn Firth

Selwyn Firth Member

It is a good sing that the numbers are dropping. The absolute numbers are still very high in the USA. The problem seems to be clearly related to poor circulation since wounds need oxygen and nutrients for new cell repair. Pneumatic compression devices have been shown to help with the healing process. The small battery powered Venowave has been shown to increase circulation and so it should also work to help those with slow or non healing foot wounds. If infected poor circulation prevents antibiotics from getting to the wound site so the device should also help in treating infected wounds.

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Improving major amputation rates in the multicomplex diabetic foot patient: focus on the severity of peripheral arterial disease.
    Brechow A, Slesaczeck T, Münch D, Nanning T, Paetzold H, Schwanebeck U, Bornstein S, Weck M.
    Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jun;4(3):83-94.

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Decrease in Major Amputations in Germany.
    Santosa F, Moysidis T, Kanya S, Babadagi-Hardt Z, Luther B, Kröger K.
    Int Wound J. 2013 Jun 6.

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Reduction in the incidence of diabetes lower extremity amputations in Queensland: 2005-2010
    Peter A Lazzarini, Sharon R O’Rourke, Anthony W Russell, Patrick H Derhy and Maarten C Kamp
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2013, 6(Suppl 1):O20 doi:10.1186/1757-1146-6-S1-O20

13. Selwyn Firth

Selwyn Firth Member

The fact that rates are following is good news. However for those who have non healing wounds doctors should be looking into using mechanical circulation booster designed to compress the calf muscles thus forcing blood back to the heart. As a consequence the arterial flow must increase to the lower capillary bed before it retunrs via the venous system. Tne www.venowave.com is such a device that I am involved with. Other devices are pneumatic compression devices which do the same by sequentially compressing the calf using air pressure.
    The clogged arteries reduce normal circulation and any method of improving the circulation will help.
    For patients at home a caregiver could use a simple rolling pin to massage the calf in a motion towards the heart. Several 30 minute treatments might actually work although it has not been tested.
    After my mother lost a leg from an AKA, I was alble to use a venowave to heal her remaing footwhich had become injured from use of a wheelchair. If one wants to find out more they can find several videos by newscasters and doctors on youtube. The ability to heal many diabetic ulcers is now available but the professionals who read this forum and treat diabetics need to lead the way for their patients sake.

I was peronnaly disgusted by a Chiropidist who did not want me to use the Venowave during the six months she treated me to no avail. After wasting money with no results, I decided to use sterile saline compresses 24/7 changing them twice daily. I used the Venowave for 4- 6 hours per day as I watched TV or used my computer. Six months later my big toe had completely healed. I became involved with the Venowave since it helped both me and my mother. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 53 years and have beat the odds. I have no doubt that this simple device will prevent hundreds of thousands of future amputaions. See my ads for contact information.

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Fewer Americans Undergoing Lower Limb Amputation