Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Nov 17, 2010.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research: A Giant Leap
    Forward or a Step Too Far?

Simon K. Spooner, David K. Smith, and Kevin A. Kirby
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2010;100 518-529

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    OK ... I have printed this out and will read it on the plane (unless sleeping is a better option) and we can talk about it tomorrow.

3. Look forward to it. This paper was spawned by the Arena.

4. Not sure if this is normally the done thing but Congrats to you three,Simon, Dave and Kevin.

I learnt more about vectors reading this in a single read than most of my reading combined or things became much much clearer which ever way I look at.

Not that my option counts for much, but anyone wanting to understand more about GRF Vectors it´s a must read.

As well as asking some questions which I´m sure will be discussed a lot.

5. Thanks, Mike. Any questions ask away... I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my co-conspirators: Dave and Kevin for their time and effort in taking this paper from the germ of an idea into the publication it became. We just need to lean on Smith so that we eventually get the follow-up written. ;)

6. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Good morning all, the difference between "force impulse", which is the 'integral of force with respect to time' and "force integral", p.519, 3rd line
    thanks, mark

7. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

I echo this sentiment. I wish i could read this paper, just sayin';)

8. markjohconley

Sorry David don't have a clue how to send it, have to wait till Europe wakes up, mark

9. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Mark,

Thank you

10. Congratulations to David Smith for what I believe is his first published paper in a peer-reviewed podiatric publication. Good job Dave!!

Looking forward to co-authoring many more papers/publications with Dr. Spooner in the future.:drinks

I have uploaded the paper for those who want to have a look at it on my private website. http://www.box.net/shared/z9vvdj6lt8

You may e-mail me privately for the password.

11. 1st Question Why did you not introduce the term Orthotic Reaction Force (ORF )into the discussion.

There will be more but as I was reading the 1st 2 pages

I was expecting something like - The authors believe that once an orthoses has been introduced and eccepted that Bower´s (2)definition of how an orthoses works - GRF´s are modified point of application and line of action of GRF´s, this reaction force should be referred to as an Orthotic reaction force.

The reason I ask is because I usually refer to ORF´s would it be better not to ?

More Questions to come about direction of GRF.

12. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Yep that was eagle eyed of you Mark!!:eek:

Remembering that it was quite a whil,e over a year ago I think, that we finished that paper, I wrote that bit but I can't explain that odd one off the top of my head so I'll put it down to a missed typo, e.g. I might have meant 'impulse or integral' meaning either depending on which term you prefer or I might have meant 'force impulse and pressure integral' so that it read better than repeating impulse. I could look back at some drafts and see if that gives a clue, if I still have them.

Here is a link to an excellent explanation of the principles of integration of force impulse and momentum http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys311.old/lectures/impulse/impulse.html

Many thanks to Simon for forcing me to write the paper and to Kevin for his input and encouragement. I do have some half done papers and a couple that need formatting so I'll try and find the time to get to them or even write something new.
    You never know I might have 2 papers published before my 80th birthday.

Regards Dave Smith

13. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

International peer reviewed publication:cool: I might ask the boss for a raise:D

Regards dave

14. markjohconley

Thanks Messrs Spooner, Smith, and Kirby, read it 2 1/2 times if you average out how many times i read each sentence.
    The first 3 pages should be compulsory reading for all podiatrists.
    I was getting all depressed but, like an American movie, the ending gave me hope, mark

One day I'd like a paragraph in an article in a peer reviewed journal to begin, "Conley ........"