Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Caption Competition - Podiatrists Extreme Planking

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by admin, May 20, 2011.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Time for another competition:

[​IMG]

This is Simon Spooner, Phil Wells, Craig Tanner and Ian Griffiths outside the Roman Baths during the Foot Orthotic Technology Conference.

What might they be saying?

Planking (fad)

Planking in a kitchen

Planking (or the Lying Down Game) is an activity consisting of lying in a face-down position, sometimes in an unusual or incongruous location. The palms of the hands are typically touching the sides of the body and the toes are typically touching the ground.[1] Some players compete to find the most unusual and original location in which to play.[1] The term planking refers to mimicking a wooden plank. Planking can include lying flat on a flat surface, or holding the body flat while it is supported in only some regions, with other parts of the body suspended. Many participants in planking have photographed the activity in unusual locations and have shared such pictures through social media.

Planking gained popularity rapidly and eventually notoriety from early-mid 2011 before slowly phasing out in early 2012.

1. ^ a b [Staff] (9 September 2009). "The lying down game: how to play". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 13 November 2010. The rules of the lying down game are simple: lie face down, with palms touching your sides and toes touching the ground

2. Can I just say, look at Griff's form. That kind a planking doesn't come without dedication to the art and benching about 220 on a regular basis. I'd also add that Russell brands boots look awesome on me.

3. BTW don't try this at home kids I think I've fractured my sternum from lying with 15 stone on a piece of wood about 30mm wide. It's not big or clever. And while it was paynirs idea note how he is behind the camera.

4. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

You 3 look like a right bunch of plankers!

EDIT: Top quality planking there lads. Extreme ironing in Manchester anyone?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Which of us is Nobby Hall?

Bill

6. Funny what a man with camera can make us do.

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It was an iPhone ....

8. Of course it was how stupid of me :drinks:D

9. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

"The sorcerer's apprentice soon found that eye of frog and tail of newt would not remove the levitation spell"

10. MJJ

MJJ Active Member

Podiatry Arena's Skeleton team hasn't saved up enough money to buy sleds yet so they are using benches for practice.

Attached Files:

11. Catfoot

"Will the person not in subtalar neutral please own up ?"

or

Practical demonstration of a rigid orthotic

or

"I think the last tramp to sit on this bench was incontinent of something......"

and last but not least for the mathematicians reading this .......

"Do we all equal 6.626068 × 10-34 m2 kg / s ?"

( For those who can't do quantum physics the joke will be explained in a later post )

CF

12. Griff

Griff Moderator

I'm glad my nice tekkers didn't go un-noticed. Although the superior planking efforts atop the hotel bar were not captured on camera. #Fail.

13. [​IMG]

Just another meeting of Constipated Podiatrists Anonymous.

14. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Don't know whether to be pleased or dissapointed by the lack of photo evidence for this :drinks

15. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

It seems there is photo evidence- just not of me doing it ;)
    For some reason can't remember taking a picture.

Can't post from here but photo on way to you Ian- can you do the honours?

16. For some reason I'd forgotten that I'd taken these....

Attached Files:

17. Catfoot

18. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Okay now we cant step on it, but l still cant see your contact lenses here!

19. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

I thought that Catfoot's Plancks constant was funny as well.

I've been asked to point out that my remark concerning Nobby Hall is a drinkers song which starts:

They called him Nobby Hall, Nobby Hall
    Oh they called him Nobby Hall, Nobby Hall,
    They called him Nobby Hall 'cause he'd only got one gonad
    Oh they called him Nobby Hall, Nobby Hall

They tied him to a plank, to a plank
    Oh they tied him to a plank, to a plank
    They tied him to a plank, so he couldn't engage in lying down outside the Roman Baths
    Oh they tied him to a plank to a plank

The song then degenerates into a multitude of other verses discussing the vicissitudes of poor Nobby's sexual life. Apologies to those who already knew this.

Bill

20. Catfoot

Bill,
    Thank you for enlightening us about this poor testicularly challenged individual. :boohoo:

I, for one, did not know of his existence, probably because I do not move in the right ( ? ) circles .

However, having had my curiosity piqued, I manged to find some lyrics :-

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Nobby_Hall.htm

regards

Catfoot

21. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Those bar photos show some serious planking ability . Particularly the one perpendicular to the bar.

As an aside, the swype app on my phone just predicted planking -

rp

22. Griff

Griff Moderator

Here's another angle of my perpendicular effort (courtesy of Drakard's mobile phone).

Attached Files:

23. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

That's a roy castle amount of dedication to your art!

24. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

Reminded me of the 4 Yorkshire men sketch:
    "back in my day we had to make the bench before we could sit on it"
    " make the bench! we had to be the bench"
    "be the bench! we had people sitting on us checking our benchability before we could be acccepted as a bench"
    "we'd've been grateful to have people sit on us! we just lay around like pieces of wood until our dad came and whipped us"
    "young people today dont realise they're born!"

25. phil

phil Active Member

Caption-
    Latest wonder treatment for most foot and lower leg pathologies. Guaranteed to reduce GRF under metatarsal heads. Side effects include vertical lines on face, and occasional unpleasant experiences such as being sat on and receiving small avarian excrement deposits.

26. Chris Lawrie

Chris Lawrie Member

Hotel in historical Bath - £100
    Price of attending Bath Tech Conf - £50
    Picture of 4 Plankers doing impressions of rigid orthotics...Priceless

This image will go in promotion materials for next years event...under heading "speakers wanted"

27. Athol Thomson

Athol Thomson Active Member

I like the photo where I'm casually leaning on the bar, beer in hand, like a fine planking connoisseur watching Ian G shouting..."Now that's what I call a plank"!

After seeing that photo it came back to me that Phill Wells had just told me McFly was his favorite band. Planking and McFly we are the new breed of hardcore Pods....

Attached Files:

28. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

I know these biomechanics gurus think they are gods, but bugger this for a lack!

toeslayer

29. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  30. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Figs 1-8 in this ground breaking paper are images of highly motivated research Podiatrists exploring new kinesiology testing methods.

31. Nilsen

Nilsen Active Member

And that proves quite categorically-the foot is NOT a cantilever. But there is some concern about the sample size.m...

32. blinda

blinda MVP

This is my receptionist Jess` contribution to National Planking Day;

[​IMG]

33. Aldrin C

Aldrin C Member

"What we podiatrist do during spare time at conferences! Aside from drinking!"

34. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

My contribution to national planking day - none of the finesse or dedication to absolute ramrod strightness as demonstrated by Ian Griffiths I'm afraid.

Robin

Attached Files:

35. Griff

Griff Moderator

You need to work on that core RP ;)

Bonus points for clutching a foot skeleton however.

36. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

In fairness, my jumper is very baggy, I'm no sway back pony you know!

I thought that was a nice touch. I tried to balance it on my head but the skeleton has Primus Metatarsus Supinatus so it didn't balance.

Robin

37. There are 3 variables here.

The Morphology of the load bearing surface

The load deformation characteristics of the person

And the Friction characteristics of the interface between the two.

An equation must exist for what elements of each make up a good plank.

If its still running, we'll try for some good planking shots on Saturday.

38. How about

M = (average distance from centre of mass / surface area of supporting surface)/number of weight bearing points
    so the smaller the area or the greater the distance from centre of mass, or the smaller the number of weight bearing points, the higher the value of M

LB = the variance from a dead straight position from heels to back of skull

F = The amount of interface friction

So P is the value of the plank and P = (LB+Msquared) / F

That work?

39. Trouble with all these is that they're so... static.

So we had a try at dynamic planking. The tea lady was furious.

[​IMG]

And others which frankly, show what big balls I have.

[​IMG]