Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Treatment of painful fissures with Liquiheel

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by SDBizz, Apr 20, 2012.

1. SDBizz

SDBizz Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've just taken delivery of a box of goodies, sent via good 'ole mum in the UK!

Included in my order were 10 capsules of Liquiheel. I have a couple of patients in mind who I think would benefit from this treatment but I want to ask, having never used it before, how easy is it to use and how far do I go with debriding the areas with the fissures? Does there need to be blood to make the Liquiheel bond?

Apologies for the dumb questions but I'm starting out after a long time off and to make matters worse in Greece where there are very few Pods and none I feel I can approach!

I haven't found any case studies online on the use of Liquiheel, does anyone know of any links they could direct me to?

Thanks, Sara

2. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Sara,

It`s very easy to use. Prior to application, you only need to reduce the callus (i.e. no haem). The fissure edges should then be opposed manually and then apply the adhesive in two thin continuous layers, allowing 30 seconds to polymerize between layers. Due to the low viscosity of the adhesive, take care to ensure that excessive run-off does not occur, nor should you allow it to wick or seep into incompletely opposed edges during application. This can be easily avoided by horizontal positioning of the wound surface.

Just bear in mind that fissures under high tensile stress may need an offloading in-shoe device to reduce tension.

Cheers,
    Bel

Linky; Liquiheel poster

3. SDBizz

SDBizz Member

Bel, you're a star!

It sounds very straight forward. Thank you once again!

Sara

4. blinda

blinda MVP

No worries, Sara. If you receive Pod Now, I published a review case series in the September `09 issue.

Have a good weekend :drinks
    Bel

5. mchad500

mchad500 Member

You may want to try steri-strips to appose skin edges and tell patient to allow them to fall off on its own

6. blinda

blinda MVP

Just received a nudge informing me that the Link in my previous post isn`t working.

Here it is again;

Attached Files:

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Sara

I use Acrytensil standard for the same purpose but I debride the fissure to leave a valley, sometimes with haem and them fill with the acrytensil and dress with a non adhesive dressing and fleecy web once dry. This seems to work very well to resolve deep penetrating painful fissures

8. Popsie

Popsie Welcome New Poster

Hi David, I have just stumbled upon this site in the quest for 'how to use Acrytensil'. I have a patient in mind who I am hoping with the use of this product can finally put an end to his painful sore heel fissures. Once you have applied the product and dressed the foot how long would you recommend the dressing stay in place for? Will the Acrytensil be removed with bathing or does the patient have to attend to your clinic for removal and if so is this an easy painless process? Are there any aftercare instructions that you would give to your patient upon leaving? I am sorry to pick your brains like this but I would really appreciate your help. Thank you

9. AliceP

AliceP Member

Hi Popsie, Please can you let me know what results you get from using Acrytensil as i am thinking of purchasing some now that i've found out that liquiheel isn't available any more. I have never used either, just trying to see what my options are. Many Thanks

10. blinda

blinda MVP

It is still available, just re-labelled as `Liquiband`;

http://www.scrubsuk.com/liquiband.html

11. AliceP

AliceP Member

Brill, thanks for that Blinda. I did contact the main supplier of the Liquiheel brand and they informed me that it is no longer in production. So i may well go ahead and purchase the new brand from the site which you told me about. Am i right in saying you were involved in some research originally ? I only ask this because i was going to ask you whether honestly it's worth investing in a case of them. Are patients generally happy to pay the extra charge for the product and do they get good results ?
    Thanks a lot for the help !

12. blinda

blinda MVP

Yeah, unfortunately `Liquiheel` was not as popular for podiatric use as Baileys had hoped. Medlogic, the pharmaceutical company, has been producing (and still does) this tissue adhesive under different brand names, according to the market at which it is aimed eg, `Liquiband` is used by vets, A&E depts, etc.

Whilst it is not cheap, I find that pts don`t mind paying an extra £13 as it offers immediate pain relief in addition to providing a barrier against infection, which sloughs off with skin turnover. When you compare its cost to that of a-well-known-brand `Cracked Heel Repair Kit` (which doesn`t work) I think it is fairly priced. Use of the product was discussed on this thread;
    http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=85744&highlight=liquiheel

I did a clinical review on Liquiheel a couple of years ago, which I have attached.

Cheers,
    Bel

Attached Files: