Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

A day in the life of Admin

Discussion in 'Podiatry Arena Help, Suggestions and Comments' started by admin, Sep 14, 2008.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just what does Admin do behind the scenes here at Podiatry Arena?

Here a list of what has been done today:
    • 4 messages from someone promoting Nokia phones had to be deleted and the poster banned (we have banned 623 members for spam)
    • A couple of people had reported the posts as spam, so I messaged them to say thanks
    • A new thread was started with a poorly descriptive title as to what it was about, so it was edited
    • The new threads also have to be tagged with the appropriate tags, so they get indexed properly.
    • Add a new wiki page for the This Day in History thread
    • We like all thread titles to start with a capital (it just looks neater), so another thread title was edited.
    • The posts that go into the eBay threads have to be approved as there is so much rubbish on eBay, so we only let through the relevant stuff. Posts that contain completed auctions also need to be deleted.
    • A number of monitoring services and RSS feeds are subscribed to and need to be checked for new relevant information. There are the press releases, the new drugs alerts, new clinical trials, new research, journal indexes, new patents, etc
    • an email comes through from a member who has forgotton their password and no longer has access to their registration email address - that has to be resent in the backend
    • The the posts that come in from the news feed for the Latest Rheumatology News; Latest Top Health Care News Stories; Latest Dermatology News; Latest Sports Medicine News; Latest Diabetes Medicine Research & News; American Medical News; United Kingdom Health Care News; Australia Health Care News all need to be screened and approved before they appear
    • another poster had a problem with the BB code for the quotes, so their message was edited to correct it; another poster mentioned a particular thread, so that thread was searched for the the message edited to link to that thread
    • A couple of emails were sent to the contact author of some of the new research that Newsbot posted (promotion and getting people posting is ongoing)
    • A search was done for some more premium content for the supporters forum.
    • The Introductions Forums was checked on to see if any posts need replies to welcome the newbies. The welcoming committee of hj--ray (Heather) and twirly (Mandy) are doing such a good job, I do not need to post there that often.
    • A RSS feed of those who spam other forums is checked against any new members we have - we try to be proactive in getting rid of these potential spammers before its happens. This is a collaborative effort amongst forum Admin's
    • Check in with Admin2 and Newsbot to forward stuff to them that needs posting and see what else needs doing.
    • Thought is given to what can be further done to promote Podiatry Arena. Emails get sent to those I know might be interested in particular threads; the site is submitted to a couple of website directories; etc
    • Check in with other admins at an Admin forum to see what issues are current in the world of Admin'ing; check in with the software developers to see what developments, mods and add-ins may be worth installing.
    • Periodically monitor who's online for suspicious actvity and be proactice to ban those before spam occurs (eg a new member with an IP address from China who starts posting a message as soon as joining is uaully blocked from posting)
    • Check what sorts of threads are most popular and look at ways of encouraging more of those kind of discussions.
    • Play with Arena'ettes
    • And all that is before I put on my other hat and actually post some message to get involved in discussions.
    Please consider Buying Admin a Beer as none of this work is paid for and the beer gets shared with the prolific posters (see this discussion)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. Craig:

Sounds like you need to start getting more income for all the work you are putting into this site. I believe they call this type of ongoing work project "a labor of love", if I'm not mistaken.

I, for one, greatly appreciate all the time you put into making this the best podiatry website in the world. I certainly wouldn't have the patience for all the work you do behind the scenes for Podiatry Arena.

And you won't have to buy me a beer in Vancouver....;)

3. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Craig

I cannot imagine dealing with all that you have listed- and my thanks to you for an excellent forum

My one comment would be -Why do we have ebay links? if anyone wants to do a search on ebay they can do it direct- It would certainly save you a lot of work and it would save me looking through the new postings and disregarding the ebay ones!

Probably in the minority
    Cornmerchant

4. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Craig you wear a LOT of hats! I have honestly never encountered a more informative and well run web board than Podiatry Arena. You have accomplished a job worthy of huge applause and that enriches us all on a daily basis.

I bought Admin a beer today because:

1. I know that it costs money to run this site and you spend a great deal of time making it habitable for all of us.

2. I'm German; I dig beer! I also dig people who dig beer! Salut! :drinks

3. I appreciate all of the posters and luminaries who have taken the time to answer the questions of neophytes such as myself and the gracious manner in which they do so. Buy them a beer please when you see them respectively.

Please keep up the good work and thank you (and everyone else) for this board.

Regards

5. admin

Thanks for the kind comments!
    Forums are not a good 'business' model and for me its not about the money (its a hobby).

The costs to run the site include hosting; bandwidth costs; software licencing; software upgrades; design changes; modifcations installations; subscription to news, research and patent altering services; occasional paid advertisments to attract more users; etc. The Google adverts; the Amazon book adverts and the occasional other advert we sell (I do not actively go after these) usually just covers these out-of-pocket expenses.

I am not the only one that spends time here; there are the other Admins and Moderators who help; and there are also those who post a lot (see here) who contribute the content; the beer is for them (the next round will be at PFOLA in Vancouver)
    Two reasons:
    1. As a service as some jems sometimes turn up on eBay
    2. If you follow one of the links from here to eBay and join (if not already a member there) or win an auction, then we get some $ (a grand total of $8 so far this month!)

So if anyone is looking to go to eBay for anything, follow one of our links! - it does not matter what you eventually win, it as long as that session at eBay was started from a link on Podiatry Arena ...we get the $ that then can go toward the running of the site!

6. admin

Lets just say, its been another one of those days. I on holiday with the Arena'ettes at the moment and it took me a long time to get on top it today and its still happening .... about a dozen threads have been deleted (thanks to all those who did the report posts); about another dozen messages which consisted of fluff posts were also deleted. 5 members banned and 4 deleted ..... .....

7. megmad

megmad Member

as a newbie, this is THE MOST valuable forum!!!

Thank you Craig and all the Admins. I will buy (and share) beer in person and look forward to meeting you!

THANK YOU!!!!

Megan

8. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to say i have just paid up today; craig or other Admin2 you'll find it as Paypal by my wife Terri Conley as Paypal and me have never got on, thanks to all, mark

9. Lee Dror

Lee Dror Welcome New Poster

That does sound like a lot of work! And, that's probably why this forum is so good :) I just became a member of Podiatry Arena recently and found the site to be incredibly informative and helpful. Thank you for all the work you put into it!