Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

MASS again

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Robertisaacs, Mar 31, 2009.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Spoke to a surgical colleague yesterday. She'd seen a presentation at a conference for a whole new type of orthotic! Was very impressed and excited about it. Really good outcomes, apparently lots of people had been using them and getting much better results and presented LOADS of studies to support his claims! Wanted to know if I could make something similar or if we should start using this lab

Chap called Mr Glaser did the presentation.

How do you respond to that:hammer:.

Regards
    Robert

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Robert,

He spoke at the Osteotec conference last week so expect plenty more of this to come...

Ian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

After something CP wrote on this in another thread, I have been looking into MASS and would love to see the LOADS of studies. The only ones I could find were:
    - one on plantar pressures differences; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
    - one on the relibaility of the foam box castong; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
    - one on gait parameter changes; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
    - there was one that did look at outcomes, but the comparison group did not really have anything that could be considered an "orthotic", so don't count that one.

I could not find any good outcome studie. Would love to know where the "LOADS" are.

4. Griff

Griff Moderator

You must be referring to Roberts 'favourite ever journal article' from Leslie Trotter...

5. No, my favourite EVER study has got to be either the homeopathic study which showed a drop in the IM angle, as measured on an x ray, of 5 degrees from 17 degrees to 12 degrees after applying marigold paste to the bunion for 8 weeks.

Published in 2002 in the British Journal of podiatry no less!

Or possibly this one

The first ever clinical trial in which the placebo group showed NO reduction in pain whatsoever! :bang:

So, there is the evidence. So, hands up who beleives that smearing ointment on a bunion causes the IM angle to change by 30% in 8 weeks!

Anyone?

Robert

6. Here's my favourite paper: Locke R.K.:pain in the foot during orgasm. A case report
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1983 73: 271

Neuroma pain being induced in a police officer by the muscular spasm and plantarflexion of the foot when coming, as I recall.

Or,
    Dockery, G.L. and Frisbee, G.L.:Rock concerts. Podiatric medical aspects. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1977 67: 249-254.

Not as interesting as it sounds- bum, bum.

There was also a number of articles from JAPA in the late fifties(?) on hypnotism and the treatment of gait disorders, verruca etc. Alas, I don't have these references any more.

The verruca one that sticks in my mind is where they took a girl with mosaic warts, hypnotised her and while she was "under" told her that they were putting a powerful acid on the warts (they actually rubbed in an emollient); that the skin would undergo the changes normally seen when an acid is applied and that the warts would go. Guess what? The skin reacted as if an acid had been applied and her warts went away.:cool:

I can't remember the details of the gait one, but it was basically instantaneous gait re-training.:cool::cool: double :cool:

7. And I thought that Mr. Ed had retired to the stable by now.:cool::eek:

No such luck. As long as he is making good money in the orthosis lab business and is willing to pay seminar organizers to let him speak, he will continue to do his orthosis lab informercials when and where ever he can.

8. :D LMAO!!!

Great. I just spilt tea all down my front! Friad he is still :deadhorse:.

Trouble is, to the untrained eye, by which i mean people who do not live in the biomechanics world not the lay public, it LOOKS like good solid biomechanics! Misinformation is so damaging

Very cool! Hypnosis is something which fascinates me, I've used it for pain relief for minor ops (on top of LA obviously) and wound debridement but it would never have occured to me to try it for a VP!

Although being the suspicious B*****D I am i can't help but wonder if they sneaked a bit of trichlor on there while she was under! :rolleyes:

One of these days I'm going to see if i can get my PNA regrowth done using no LA:eek:. I reckon it should be do able.

Form a queue behind the thwaites nippers, no shoving at the back...

Regards
    Robert

9. joejared

joejared Active Member

Nod and smile?