Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

CORE PODIATRY TREATMENT

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by TIDOSH, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TIDOSH

TIDOSH Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    HI ALL

I am a final year podiatry student in South Africa working on an study that requires the description of core podiatry treatment/ general podiatric care, I am struggling to find the relevant description of the this treatment regime.

please help me with find the information or references I can use.

Thnx

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

THis may not be exactly what you are after, but it is the core competencies for a newly graduating podiatrist in Australia

http://www.anzpac.org.au/pdf/PodiatryCompetencies.pdf

A definition of core podiatry treatment or general podiatry care is making some assumptions that all patients are the same. The core "treatment" for a muscular skeletal injury will differ completely to that for a newly diagnosed person with diabetes, a person with an ingrown toe nail, a person returning for a 6 week nail clipping etc.

Though in all of these cases there are some basic assessments that should probably always be carried out

eg: Ftwr assessment, checking of pulses and taking a thougher patient history.

Again with all that said, the profession (at least in Aus) would interpret general care as cutting and filing of the toes nails plus removal of any corns or callus, if given no further onformation.

3. lisa farndon

lisa farndon Welcome New Poster

Hi,
    I have a definition and reference for core podiatry.
    Core podiatry is the assessment, diagnosis
    and treatment of common and more
    complex lower-limb pathologies associated
    with the toenails, soft tissues and
    musculoskeletal system, with the purpose
    of sustaining or improving foot health. Farndon L. The Function and Purpose of Core
    Podiatry: An in-Depth Analysis of Practice.
    Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University; 2006.

Hope this helps, Lisa

4. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Todish seems to be making it clear that he is talking about treatment and not assessment.

Hopefully he is not referring to cutting, thinning and clearing toe nails and whacking off hard skin which 'used to' occupy 90% of the chiropodist's' treatment' time and was for so long considered to be and scribed as 'general chiropody' and might well have been updated or replaced by the term 'core podiatry'.

Best wishes,

Bill