Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Finally, we have the cause of flat feet

Discussion in 'Podiatry Trivia' started by Craig Payne, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    After yrs of toiling in the biomechanics lab, I have now come to the realization that we are all wasting our time doing that.

I have just learnt that:
    Ref: Gadd, A. (2006). Finding Your Feet – How the Sole reflects the Soul. Scotland: Findhorn Press.

There you have it. Its nothing to do with biomechanics afterall, its everything to do with the psychosocial context. :pigs:

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I suppose flying is also a cause then :craig:

4. JOSKIN

JOSKIN Member

Aha, how remarkably fascinating, so presumably Hallux Limitus is a psycho-sexual manifestation in the foot?

I feel a thesis coming on...'Blessed are those with Hallux Rigidus'!!

:drinks

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Yes, but perhaps the name of the author tells us something; at least if you're from New York or Chicago!

Bill Liggins

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Some of this stuff is life changing:
    http://www.footreading.com/footreading/free-stuff/top-ten-secrets

7. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

I would have thought this was a sign of being afraid of grounding yourself :D

8. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

and the cause of a prolapsed uterus would be.........

9. W J Liggins

Dunno, but presumably a hypertrophic prostate would make you p****d off!

10. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

I'm never surprised to learn that I haven't seen it all anymore. This is just so bad Craig, my God.

11. Not just bad, but dangerous!

Admin missed this one.

http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=61675

Which had this little gem

The board is down now, but apparently a black line running down the toenail is "situational depression".

Possibly karmic shadow for the undiagnosed acral melanoma which you're about to die of.

12. Fraoch

Fraoch Active Member

I am somewhat embarrassed by this and hope that "Gadd" is not a fellow Scot.

If you have the time to look up the Findhorn Foundation and the Findhorn Press you will gain an insight to the type of people making up this "alternative" community in the picturesque surroundings of Morayshire. Then it will all make perfectsense to you.

13. W J Liggins

Hey, I'm always up for a bit of banter with the Sawneys, or Taffies or Paddys especially where sport is concerned, but this is definitely a case of 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'. We all possess these fruitcakes, it's not a national thing.

All the best

Bill

:drinks

14. drsha

drsha Banned

Even I think this stuff is folly ;).

But at least one of you read the work as you haven't yet mine.

Dennis

15. We have. The alternative made more sense...

16. drsha

drsha Banned

Mark:
    Seriously,

Have you bothered to foot type 25 or so patients or fewer?

Have you ever held a foot centering in your hand?

Have you ever applied a set of foot centering pads to a patient?

Have you ever taken a foot centered cast and written an Rx for fabrication, foot type-specific?

Have you ever sent a foot centered cast to a certified lab for fabrication?

Have you ever dispensed a foot centering in practice?

Have you worked with muscle engine compensatory training exercises?

Have you ever tried frontal plane rearfoot cast correction technique in lieu of a medial skive, Blake inverted cast or varus wedge?

I believe that you haven't gathered enough the information first hand in order to form a reasonable opinion as to the value of foot centering and foot typing.

Dennis

17. Dennis

Most competent practitioners of podiatric medicine will conduct their practice in similar ways, rarely do they do something unique, but when they do, generally they share their experience and are happy for it to be tested by their peers. To be able to do so requires a common language and thankfully in the podiatric world at least, this language is well established and accepted. Clinically, nothing you have presented here is unique - only the terminology you employ to describe your practice is different. Different to the point that after repeated questioning, you are still unable to make any sense to the vast majority of your colleagues who have afforded you much more time than you deserve. To what purpose, other than self aggrandisement and enrichment. Why else does one patent their technique or categorisation system?

I've been experimenting recently with a new enucleation technique where I suspend myself upside down from the ceiling so I view the foot as if I'm looking along the ground. You can try it by sitting atop the patient but your arse rubs up against their chin and sometimes temptation gets in the way. The profile of their foot is such that you achieve an incredible enucleation in plantar lesions. You should try it sometime. I'm sure there are establishments you know that sell suspension kits - the latest with the attached nipple clamps are a must as they help reduce the spinning. You can file a patent if you like...

18. Anthony S

Anthony S Active Member

Well, I think it would ill behoove anyone to critique Marks technique until they have tried it on at least 25 patients.

One question mark, are these suspension kits hygenic? Do they wipe clean?

19. Very important Tony - and it has to be vaseline friendly (to prevent chaffing) so that rules the latex rubber versions out. Leather's ok, but I have a custom version made from tartan gore-tex - style with breathability. Cameron Kippen is a vast source of knowledge on these things - no doubt he will give you better advice than I. The world takes on a whole new dimension when you're upside down. Just ask Dennis...

20. drsha

drsha Banned

So I asked:
    Have you bothered to foot type 25 or so patients or fewer?

Have you ever held a foot centering in your hand?

Have you ever applied a set of foot centering pads to a patient?

Have you ever taken a foot centered cast and written an Rx for fabrication, foot type-specific?

Have you ever sent a foot centered cast to a certified lab for fabrication?

Have you ever dispensed a foot centering in practice?

Have you worked with muscle engine compensatory training exercises?

Have you ever tried frontal plane rearfoot cast correction technique in lieu of a medial skive, Blake inverted cast or varus wedge?

With your childlike response, I assume this means no making your opinion of Foot Centering equal to that of a six year old.

Dennis

PS: As to your enucleation technique, if I wanted to try it out, are you paying for the suspension equipment? Are you paying for the nipple clamps? Are you paying for the lawyer if I get accused of being a sexual pervert?
    and
    I can't file a patent because you have published your worthless idea first.

Dennis

21. Anthony S

Anthony S Active Member

So, to be clear, you patented your system to keep it out of hands like Mark's...

Then you're complaining that he's not used your system.

Small contradiction there?

22. Only to us mere mortals, Tony. In Dennis' world, anything goes.

23. carlos72

carlos72 Welcome New Poster

What does that say for people with a hypermobile Hallux???

24. Podminded

Podminded Member

and I presume that your fungal infection is because you're a fun-gi!!