Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Self Defense Training

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Netizens

I have been around for several decades now and seen a few angry men in my time but you could have knocked me down with a feather today when as part of an induction to a new clinical job I have to complete my employer's self defense course. Thank goodness for my background in martial arts

A (sad) sign of the times.

What say you?

Cameron

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Cameron,

Could it possibly be that the self defence training is to protect staff from other staff and not the patients! ;)

3. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Cameron

What type of martial arts do you do. I've practiced and taught karate (mostly Kyokushin) and Judo (3rd Dan) for almost 40yrs also done quite a bit of kick boxing and aikido akijutsu too. I love it.
    At present I run an MMA club (along the lines of cage fighting, shoot fighting, ultimate fighting styles) its great fun.
    Many times people ask me why I don't run self defense courses. I say because 10 weeks after a ten week course you will have almost forgotten everything you learned and if you have to think about it then it will be to late.
    If you come to martial arts to learn self defence then you won't stay long. If you do stay then it will be because you love it and get the bug. Nobody stays for the pain if they don't enjoy the sport.
    What do you think Cameron.

Cheers Dave

4. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

That a very bad indictment on society when health professionals need self defense training to protect themselves from the very people that they are trying to help.

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Maybe this is the reason why:

The BBC are reporting:
    Attacks on nurses 'on the rise'

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Self defence

GP's are getting it as well.
    ABC are reporting:
    GPs endangered by violent patients
    Wednesday, 1 March , 2006 12:46:00
    Full transcript of interview

7. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Where on earth are you working?

That said, I could certainly have used some self defence training when I was treating "residents" from the prison near where I worked! From that job I learned to remove the scalpel blade the second I was finished with it!