Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Anyone following the MMR vaccine and Autism debate?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by admin, Nov 26, 2004.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This whole saga surrounding this has been fascinating. Now this has appeared on UK TV, as reported by the British Medical Journal:
    .Latest on this story...

2. admin

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    This story has taken a turn:

Reuters are reporting:
    Washington court will hear autism-vaccine suits
    June 10, 2007 02:23:00 PM PST

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Another twist...

CTV are reporting:
    Study casts doubt on autism-vaccine link
    Full story

5. [​IMG]

Hmmm. Seek ye first the people who stand to make profit and the impetus for the story will not be far away.

Mere science and fact must make way for the almighty tort. The kid has Autism. It must be SOMEBODIES fault!

Such is life.

The Arena ettes must be about due. So Craig, autism or measles?

Regards
    Robert

6. zaffie

zaffie Active Member

Food for thought

I am aware of Dr Fombonne and Dr Wakefields research and ideas.

I declare a personal interest as my son has autism.

He was different from birth and he did have the MMR made no difference to him at all. But I did decline the second MMR that Dr surgery was pushing hard. I was told at the time that 20% of of children had not developed immunity from vaccine.

In America the label of "autism" attracts all manner of funding for education etc. I believe Dr Fombonne has made this point that autism is over diagnosed in America because of the dollars that follow it:confused:

People remember the BSE scandal and don't believe what their governments now say:hammer:

I for one remain firmly on the fence

I am also aware of a number of children that were completely "normal" before MMR then developed Autism. Anecdotal perhaps but don't forget it is not that long ago that Autism was "caused" by "refrigerator mother syndrome":deadhorse:

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I use the MMR vaccine/Autism debate as a case study in the undergraduate paediatrics teachings for a number a reasons - mainly due to the way the media takes this story; also becasue its a topical public health issue; but also it goes back to epidemiology 101.

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is the latest from CTV:
    Controversy over vaccine-autism link endures
    Full story and comments.

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Another study show no link:

The BBC are reporting:
    MMR 'does not trigger reaction'
    Full story

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Study explores delicate issue of discussing autism

To tell or not to tell?

More...

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Getting help for a child with autism

Learning that your child has autism is a life-changing moment. The sooner you can confirm the diagnosis, the better your child's chances for effective treatment. This week's Empowered Patient offers advice for getting help for your child with autism at every stage, from confirming the diagnosis to dealing with insurance to educational support.

More...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Autism's mysteries remain as numbers grow

It remains one of the greatest mysteries of medicine. Although autism will be diagnosed in more than 25,000 children this year, more than new cases of AIDS, diabetes and cancer combined, scientists and doctors still know very little about the neurological disorder.
    More...

13. NewsBot

Articles:
    Vaccine-autism link divides parents, scientists

At 13, Michelle Cedillo can't speak, wears a diaper and requires round-the-clock monitoring in case she has a seizure. She has no idea she is at the center of a court case pitting thousands of families of children with autism against the medical establishment.

More...

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    ScienceDaily are reporting:
    Parents Follow Pediatrician Advice On Administering MMR Vaccinations
    Full story

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    MMR doctor admits ethics failing

The doctor who sparked the MMR contoversy admits a poor grasp of medical ethics in relation to children.

More...

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Families argue autism-vaccine link in court

Read full story for latest details.

More...

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  17. NewsBot

Articles:
    CTV.ca are reporting:
    Families make case for vaccine link to autism
    Full story

18. RSSFeedBot

RSSFeedBot I, Robot

Study: No link between measles vaccine, autism

The Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine causes neither autism nor gastrointestinal disorders, a study reported Tuesday, disputing a theory that has persisted for a decade.

More...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  19. admin

This story just won't go away:

ScienceDaily Are reporting:
    Parents Still Fear Autism Could Be Linked To Vaccines, Poll Shows
    Link to story

20. admin

I recently read a copy of this book on the topic of this thread. Its is also relevant in the context of the recent debates we have had in the biomechanics forum. Highly recommended.

Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure
    Paul A. Offit

[​IMG]

Buy:
    Amazon.com (USA)
    Amazon.ca (Canada)
    Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom)
    Fishpond.com.au (Australia)
    Fishpond.co.nz (New Zealand)

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    CNN are reporting:
    Rulings on autism-vaccination connection expected
    Link to full story

22. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

I think this sums it up for me:

Attached Files:

23. heleneaustin

heleneaustin Active Member

How true LuckyLinsfranc statement is.

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    The rulings is in:

WebMD are reporting:
    Vaccine Court Rejects Autism Claims
    Full story

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    CNN are reporting:
    Autism ruling fails to convince many vaccine-link believers
    Full story

26. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Will this finally put an end to this nonsene:

From the BBC:
    Autism rates back MMR jab safety

27. gwilson

gwilson Member

I wrote a paper (not for publication) on Wakefields study a few years ago when I was studying Infection Control. His sample was not a cross section of the population, the children he studied were his own patients and were being treated for bowel problems. The sample size, if I remember correctly, was about 38. A study in Finland followed up ALL their children who had the MMR vaccine, and found no link between MMR and autism - a sample size of 3 MILLION! Wakefield's study was, for various reasons, one of the most flawed pieces of research I've ever read. As far as legal action goes, maybe parents of children with measles should be sueing Wakefield and The Lancet - remember that measles isn't just spots and a fever, it can and does cause blindness, brain damage, even death.

The biggest surprise is that this supposedly peer reviewed study was published at all - it's not easy getting published in The Lancet!

28. NewsBot

Articles:
    They finally retracted it:
    Medical journal retracts study linking autism to vaccine
    Full story and video

29. This story just goes from bad to worse.

Of course the study was unethical, he did lumbar punctures and colonoscopies on the poor sprogs just to prove his theory. But that is not the point.

When his paper, which had 12 case studies, was published do you know what happened? Next to nothing. The media did'nt care.

Only a year or two later when he republished a "review", and a cynic might suggest, when the media were having a slow week, did it take off!

There was the feeding frenzy of reporting in papers and on the news. But the real damage was not done by the study which the vast majority of the great unwashed will never read and would not understand even if they did. The real damage was done by the exciting headlines with time lapsed footage of a sprog kicking off in their living room behind a bullet list of "concerns". The damage was done by "concerned minor celebs" giving their comment. If carol vorderman nigella lawson and cherie blair are all worried then there must be something to it right? These are the people the public listen to!

And then of course there were all the ridiculously high power studies which proved that there was no link. Which the media almost without exception studiously ignored.

And now they have wrung every last drop out of scaring us that the MMR will turn little tommy into damien from the omen, they've found a new horse to ride, the demonic creepy doctor who experimented on children to fool us all and end the world! Mwoa ha ha ha etc.

Got the golden eggs, now its goose for dinner.

But make no mistake. Wakefield's study was one of a huge raft of dodgy research which comes out every year. It was the media who turned it from a minor crap paper in a journal unknown to the public into a scare which cost lives.

And what drives the media? We do.

So by all means lets burn Andrew wakefield at the stake. But lets not lose sight of what ACTUALLY happened. Because when we do (and most will) we guarentee it will happen again.

It just will. Because we're all stupid.

:mad:

Robert

30. Griff

Griff Moderator

31. Nor will you. Its not a sinister tale of big pharma cynically causing your children to become brats with a poisonous vaccine, nor a sinister tale of a mad scientist trying to cause a measles epidemic to line his own packets mwoa ha ha etc etc.

GOOD NEWS!! A SAFE VACCINE WILL STOP YOU GETTING SICK! Can't see that making the headlines. Its not scary. Its GOOD.

MOBILE PHONE MASTS CAUSE TEENAGE SUICIDE!

MONKEY TORE MY FACE OFF (I was so traumatised I went on Oprah)!

PEOPLE FROM {insert name of sociopolitical group presently forfilling bogeyman role here} WANT TO EAT YOUR CHILDREN WITH FAHFAH BEANS AND A NICE CHIANTE!!!

Thats the sort of thing people want to read. Because it hints that THEIR life might one day be part of a great drama or that they will be part of some big story.

It probably won't, and if it did you wouldn't like it.

pffft

32. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

Scary simailarities.. but far more sinister of course, to the barefoot fiasco. The problem is, once the bloggers get hold of it.. fear and ignorance sieze the heart of all.
    And as Wakefield proved, once the damage has been done, it is very hard indeed to be undone.
    Even the most logical, science based arguments will inevitably be labelled a conspiracy theory...lemmings to the edge unfortunately.

33. Griff

Griff Moderator

Bad times for Dr Wakefield - he has another article he was an author on withdrawn:

http://bit.ly/b6eVWl

34. NewsBot

Articles:
    The BBC are reporting:
    MMR doctor punishment verdict due
    Full story

35. Griff

Griff Moderator

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    CNN are reporting
    The end of the autism/vaccine debate?
    Full story

37. kzahra

kzahra Member

wouldn't we all like not to give our children immunisations? I have twin boys whom I would have rather not immunised as nothing can be 100% safe, however, who am I to say my children are more precious than anyone elses. Parents should just ask themselves are they prepared for these diseases to make a return into society or are they just making a choice not to immunise based on the proviso that others like myself will?

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Amed News are reporting:
    Autism-vaccine link disproved again
    The latest research invalidates any connection between the ethylmercury-containing preservative thimerosal and ASD in vaccinated children.
    Prenatal and Infant Exposure to Thimerosal From Vaccines and Immunoglobulins and Risk of Autism
    Cristofer S. Price et al
    PEDIATRICS (doi:10.1542/peds.2010-0309)

39. admin

40. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The nutters won't go away. I follow this blog:
    Another manufactured controversy
    Full story