Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nurses take on podiatry

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Cameron, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

2. Dido

Dido Active Member

Are they really taking on podiatry, or is it just a nail-cutting service, I wonder?
    Dido

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Quote:
    "Nurses in homes have now been trained to provide podiatry services so that older patients get the support when they need it, from people they already trust."

Two thoughts....

They can't provide Podiatry services unless they are registered with the HPC. The services they are going to provide would be more accurately described as footcare.

First Durham, now London. It is clearly a far cheaper option for PCTs to employ Podiatry Assistants or specially-trained existing staff to carry out foot health duties rather than employing Pods. How far will it spread:confused: - who knows.

Davohorn - you made the right move at the right time!

Have a good Easter everyone.

Regards,

4. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. I have sent the following to the journal involved as chairman elect of the Board of Education of the Institute.

I note that in the editorial of the above journal, you claim that nurses are to carry out 'podiatry services'. In fact it would be illegal for a nurse to carry out this function (even if they possessed the necessary skills) since the titles 'podiatrist and chiropodist' are limited to those registered as such with the Health Professions Council. I will be grateful if you will forward the source of your information so I may check on the responsible individual. It may, of course, be that these nurses are carrying out simple toenail cutting, in which case I will be grateful if you will make this clear in a future edition, giving as much prominence as the original article.

Many thanks

W J Liggins

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. Cameron

D, D & B

> Are they really taking on podiatry, or is it just a nail-cutting service.

Bil has the right idea and the agency now has the opportunity to qualify their statement.

Something which I have always been bemused at, is the much expressed belief that people do not know what podiatrists do. I do not personally uphold this belief nor am I making criticism on this occassion those who do, instead I believe recent sitution highlights where the real need for better communication exists and that is in the media, itself.

So well done Bill for your action and if more people did this we may get better informed journalists.

What say you?

toeslayer

6. greatwhite

greatwhite Active Member

Yes, I'm pleased someone has taken it upon themselves to investigate. Please keep us informed if a response is forthcoming.

7. Dido

Dido Active Member

Hello Bill,
    Thank you for your prompt and positive action.
    Toeslayer - I endorse what you say about the media - we need to improve our relationship with them.
    Not long ago we missed a golden opportunity :mad: when the BBC asked a Physio to talk about Podiatry !! :eek: To add insult to injury she wasn't very well-informed on the subject either. :eek:
    Dido

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  8. davidh

Well done Bill.

Dido, you said:
    "Not long ago we missed a golden opportunity when the BBC asked a Physio to talk about Podiatry !! To add insult to injury she wasn't very well-informed on the subject either".

This is an understatement - she was dreadful!

I'm afraid we as a profession are largely to blame for poor media representation. In this instance the reluctance of the BBC to contact one of our own profession may have had something to do with the fact that 20-something years ago a popular BBC consumer affairs programme (which is still running) was fed lies by one of our professional bodies, and was consequently successfully sued by another of our professional bodies.

The reluctance of each UK Podiatry professional body to spend much time or energy in courting the media makes Bill's action all the more creditable.

9. Cameron

Davidh

I'm free, and have a thirty year experience with working with the media (UK, NZ Australia US and Canada - apparently I am also big in the old Soviet States). Inspired by Flash :craig: All those years ago.

In all that time never been used by the pods of course, considered too radical, I expect?

Well as you know I look like a cross between James Wales and Alexi Sayle; and talk like Billy 'The Big Yin' Connolly. Could be worse, I could look like John Dalzell!

have a good easter

media :cool:toeslayer

10. davidh

:D:D:D