Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The Effects of Dance Training on Childrens Foot Arch

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by NewsBot, Jun 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    From the ACSM mtg:
    The Effects of Dance Training on Children’s Foot Arch
    Jai-yuan Zhang, Kuo-Wei Tseng, Yu-Hua Tseng, Hung-Wen Cheng.

2. daisy

daisy Active Member

Re: The Effects of Dance Training on Children’s Foot Arch

I'm curious as to what the researchers mean by "over-stretching movements". The primary movements of the foot in dance are plantarflexion and dorsiflexion so I'm a little mystified as to how these movements can "over-stretch" the foot and cause decrease in elasticity in soft tissue and structural dysfunction.

If this is what the researchers observed then they may have been observing the use of "foot-stretching" devices or activities amongst the dancing cohort which are supposed to increase the arch height of the foot but could well be causing structual dysfunction of the foot. I don't believe dance itself could be causing lowering of the arch and structural problems of the foot.

I did my MSc thesis on "foot-stretching" devices and activities in dancers and although it was not possible to link these devices to foot injury in dancers there has been an increase in male dancers with disruption of the LisFranc joint since about 2000 when these devices became commercially available. Before this time, female dancers reported this injury but it was generally believed it was an injury caused by pointe shoes.

Hopefully this study will be published in more detail in the future.

3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Effects of ballet training of children in Turkey on foot anthropometric measurements and medial longitudinal arc development.
    Ozdinc SA, Turan FN
    J Pak Med Assoc. 2016 Jul;66(7):869-74.