Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Betadine & diabetic wounds

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by zakalx14, May 26, 2011.

1. zakalx14

zakalx14 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the this website
    I want to start with a burning question!!!;)
    Betadaine & chronic wounds/diabetic wounds

Is there evidence based which says Bedatine should not be used with diabetic wounds
    Would be great if u post threads which support the above

Your opinion is very much appreciated

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Re: betadaine & diabetic wounds

There is no evidence to support the use of Povodine-iodine in the management of diabeic foot ulcers

Similarly no evidence to support other topical anti-infectives such as Silver Dressings, Codexomer Iodine, Flaminal etc. They have all shown themselves effective in vitro to reduce a bioburden, and even in vivo for most, but no evidence that they affect wound healing outcomes (maybe because the current research has been poor)
    We do know that all topical anti infectives not only have an effect on bacteria, but also fibroblasts, which are necassary for healing.

If a wound is frankly infected systemic cover is required and is supported by evidence, if just colonised, you can remove a bioburden with debridement, but again limited evidence.

Personally, I haven't used betadine for a long time. But when I did use it it was more as a wound flush, which I would follow up with saline.

The evidence that does exist points to a moist wound environment, pressure reduction (TCC best) and control of blood sugars etc.
    NPWT and more recently in the vascularly compromised HBO also have an evidence base

3. brekin

brekin Active Member

I thought Flaminal had minimal impact upon fibroblasts. The below quote is from the following link: http://www.flaminal.co.uk/news.php

4. Tuckersm

Happy to be corrected

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

6. dragon_v723

dragon_v723 Active Member

so it looks like betadine is probably not a great option for ulcer esp long term use, is there any other topical prepartion that is ideal in preventing/ridding of infection?

7. Tuckersm

No. They will all have their pros and cons, and you will need to use your clinical judgement. Pretty much all of the antiseptics can cause too much damage to the wound bed to be of any use, especially if used more than once.
    Also preventing infection is quite different to ridding infection. A sterile dressing on a clean wound should prevent infection. And you need to definine infection, as a truely infected wound is best treated with systemic agents. A colinised wound though can sometimes benefit from local anti infectives, depending on the wound bed etc.

8. dragon_v723

dragon_v723 Active Member

Thx for the clarification Stephen

9. Alyx

Alyx Welcome New Poster

This may make you laugh but I have personally seen Penaten heal diabetic ulcers in geriatrics when nothing else worked. " Penaten Cream is a softening cream infused with Zinc Oxide and Hamamelis Extract to help provide a soothing effect on the skin. How to use Apply to skin as required.Warnings: For... more >>"
    Just thought I'd share.

10. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

I use betadine regularly, particularly on neuropathic wounds.

I work in a sub-tropical area. Infection is the enemy, not a few extra days of wound healing. One could argue that any foot inside a shoe is living in a sub/tropical environment.

Given I have already subjected the wound to serious physical insult via sharp debridement, splashing (liquid) betadine around is of little consequence in the big picture. Dont use ointment/cream - it just makes everything sloughy and too wet.

Treat it like an alternative to antibiotic prophylaxis. I think there is an inordinate amount of hysteria about it.

LL

11. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Nursing interventions of topical application of betadine on diabetic foot ulcer healing among diabetics
    Chandrakala S, Dr. Karunagari Karaline
    The Journal of Nursing Trendz Year : 2014, Volume : 5, Issue : 1

12. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Efficacy of a povidone‐iodine foam dressing (Betafoam) on diabetic foot ulcer
    Heui C. Gwak Seung H. Han Jinwoo Lee Sejin Park Ki‐Sun Sung Hak‐Jun Kim Dongil Chun Kyungmin Lee Jae‐Hoon Ahn Kyunghee Kwak Hyung‐Jin Chung
    IWT: 26 November 2019