Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Who offers a money back guarrantee on foot orthotics?

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by pgcarter, Dec 13, 2007.

1. eddavisdpm

eddavisdpm Active Member

We provide a lifetime warranty on our orthotics against rust. That warranty is voided by acts of terrorism, war or by wearing the left orthotic in the right shoe or right orthotic in the left shoe.

Additionally, we guarantee all of our orthotics to be Y2K compliant.

2. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

50% refund is fair for patients who paid without insurance. Orthotics are not a panacea and I do not want to add salt to their wound. Refunds are rare but it happens.

Steven

3. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

Odd how some folks want to make a big fuss out of a fairly simple question..... I'm sure the fine examples of ridicule and satire all help us to be sure who actually does "know best".....which was not part of the original issue in the first place.
    regards Phill Carter

4. Ideology

Ideology Active Member

Then there is Consumer Law and patients might be entitled to a refund in certain circumstances. It all comes down to expectations. Most of the time good orthoses will fix plantar fasciitis but sometimes they don't or it takes longer than expected. Refund? yes if you told the patient you could fix it. Optometrists give refunds all the time. Its an industry stamdard guarantee on some lenses when upgrading. If you can't adapt you can get refund or replacement. Two things to consider. 1. Is the device correctly made and 2. Does it do what I said to the patient it would do. Yes to both no problem. No to either or both the patient might be able to claim a refund under consumer law.

5. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I wouldn't offer a money back guarantee personally. It would depend on the typeof practitioner that you were but I will not embark upon a course of orthotic treatment if I don't think that I can help(I know plenty of people who do)

Patients are well informed that, although I believe that their problem is a solvable one, there is no guarantee that the treatment will be successful

I don't want to see someone who wants a guarantee as it will most likely cost me more in time costs than I have the potential to make by providing orthotic treatment. I refer them to my competition;)

I do, however, offer free follow up appointments in the event of non resolution or problems with the orthoses. I will see them for free until such times as I feel that the treatment path is not working for them, in which event I will usually refer on

6. Pod on sea

Pod on sea Active Member

I agree but occasionally you have to be aware of 'picking your battles'. The only time I have given a refund was over a 'comfort' issue. The patient was not willing to have an adjustment made to the orthoses (which didn't feel exactly like her old pair!). No amount of rational explanation was going to make any difference to her. She had told all her friends I had given her some unwearable orthoses (her 1st pair from me had lasted well and were problem-free in her eyes, she had requested a new pair instead of refurbishing the existing pair), she had been in touch with trading standards, and was taking legal advice claiming the orthoses were not fit for purpose etc.... All before she had even been to see me to give me an opportunity to resolve the issue. I pondered the situation and decided it was not worth the aggravation and time. I gave her a refund and made it clear that my package of care was concluded and that she would need to seek an alternative Podiatrist for any future orthoses. Her new orthoses are still languishing in my cupboard and are an excellent sample to show patients what a custom-made orthotic looks like.

7. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Your right, you have to pick your battles. That's the benefit of having your own practice, You can react as appropriate to the situation.

Steven

8. BeratDemaj

BeratDemaj Member

Hi

Interesting topic. Here is my thought on this.

There has been some extensive research on this topic (not podiatry related but it does apply). This was what came out of the research: patients/buyers/clients do not want their money back, they only want the purchased item (in our case orthotics) to do what the seller (podiatrist) sayd it would do in the first place!

In stead of giving back money, give another treatment or make different corrections to the device... .

Best
    BD