Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Haemachromatosis

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Kara47, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello All,
    Had a patient present the other day with a painless "sausage toe", soft tissue swelling on X ray was the only notable feature. She is mid fifties, has haemachromatosis. I have read that iron can accumulate in the joints and cause arthritis, but there is no pain or inflammation. Has anyone else come across this? the only other differential diagnoses I could come up with were:
    Psoriatic arthritis ( no psoriasis present)
    Gout ( no pain/ inflammation)
    Reiter's disease ( as above)
    Thanks,
    Kara.

2. charlie01

charlie01 Active Member

just add this one to the differential list:

scleroderma

3. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Kara47,
    A "sausage toe" is a reliable indicator of osteomyelitis in a diabetic patient, but you say that an x-ray has ruled that out.
    I have seen many of these types of toes over the years and they have been usually asymptomatic. The only problems I have seen is when the skin develops "folds" which can restrict hygiene or when they impinge on neighbouring toes.

I think the haemachromatosis could be a "red herring".

Scleroderma usually causes pain, stiffness and swelling and would affect other areas.

Working on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" principle I would be inclined just to monitor the situation. It could well be idiopathic.

If you have a picture that might help.

regards

Catfoot

4. charlie01

charlie01 Active Member

A patient with osteomyelitis and diabetes is generally unwell and should have fever and most importantly uncontrolled high sugar level.

Of course X-Ray can be used as a first line investigation.

I would also add Chilblains to the diff. list.

however it's better to let physicians to make the diagnosis and management plan.