Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Detecting plantar fasciitis on lateral x-ray

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, May 16, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Critical differences in lateral X-rays with and without a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis.
    J Sci Med Sport. 2006 May 10;

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Mark Egan

Mark Egan Active Member

Can someone explain why non weight bearing is the preferred option to assess this issue?

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Mark - I do not know, but maybe the soft tissue changes that they were seeing are only visible NWB. Maybe when WB, these changes are "stretched" or "compressed" and are not detectable.

5. Mark Egan

Mark Egan Active Member

I assumed that was the case but I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else involved. As I always request weight bearing views for all assessments which I was taught at Uni i.e. AP and lateral WB while NWB medial oblique and if needed lateral oblique.

Regards

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The advantages of a WB x-ray generally out weigh the need for a NWB and I am not sure that the need to order a NWB for suspected plantar fasciitis can really be justified. After all, how often is the clinical diagnosis in doubt?

7. summer

summer Active Member

I always perform NWB films for diagnosis of plantar fascitis. This I do for several reasons. First, it is much easier to see any soft tissue changes such as bursal sacs, and the approximate insertion can be identified as well if the film is of good quality. Second, if there are any bony changes, these are far more evident as well.

Finally, since I often perform EPF type procedures on these patients following failed conservative therapy, the non weightbearing view is good for measuring the distance from the plantar aspect of the foot to the tip of the "spur" and from the posterior aspect of the foot to the tip of the "spur". This triangulation method will give you the place to make a vertical incision which VERY accurately places the medial incision. Taking the non weightbearing film initially avoids the need for another film preoperatively.

8. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Dear All

I have a patient who has suffered exquisitely tender Plantar faciitis for 8 months. Apart for some respite after initial fitting of orthoses there has been little improvement. Radiographs and ultra sound show no significant heel spur or soft tissue trauma. She has had steroid injection,all types of heel pads foot and ankle manipulation and mobilisation, phsyiotherapy with our physio,including ultra sound and hot wax. Low dye taping to resist eversion and arch lowering, which gives some relief, cross frictions, icing, contrast bathing.
    The orthopaedic consultant is looking at Plantar faciotomy but we want to avoid this if possible. What about ESW, is it very effective. I don't know anywhere that uses it.
    Xray and U/S did show thickened Achilles tendon, even thought it was only tender to palpate but this has responded well to the treatment . stretching and manips have increased ankle d/flex RoM by 10dgs.
    Any suggestions as to what further treatment may help!!

Thanks dave

9. Dave:

Recalcitrant plantar fasciitis often responds well to 4-8 weeks of immobilization in a cam-walker style boot or below-knee fiberglass walking cast. Extra-corporal shockwave therapy (ESWT) seems to be about 50% effective when used by podiatrists here locally in Sacramento. Partial plantar fasciotomy works well (about 75% in my hands) but has many more potential negative sequella for the patient. I would certainly give a trial of bracing or casting for 4-8 weeks before plantar fasciotomy is considered but would have no problems with a partial plantar fasciotomy if all other therapeutic measures have been tried and the patient understands the potential problems from plantar fasciotomy.

Remember, from a tissue-stress type approach, that plantar heel pain can be caused both by increased compression stress on the plantar heel structures by ground reaction force (GRF) acting directly on the heel and/or by increased tensile stress on the plantar aponeurosis or plantar intrinsics that attach to the plantar calcaneus by GRF acting on the plantar forefoot. It is wise to always consider the compression/tension stress etiology dichotomy of plantar heel pain when designing appropriate mechanical therapy for the patient with this painful and often disabling pathology.