Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

cpd conversion

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jo jo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Jo jo

Jo jo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Sorry if this has been covered already but cant find the information. What's the conversion from points to hours?

2. Frederick George

Frederick George Active Member

I don't know either. But, I'm curious, what do you mean "points?" Relating to what? How is the term used?
    Cheers

3. Nina

Nina Active Member

Hi,

It's my understanding that one hour of study equates to one CPD point.

Nina

4. Frederick George

Thanks Nina. I wasn't thinking CME. I was thinking, COPD? Continuous Peritoneal Dialysis? Cardio Pulmonary Disease? Congential Polycystic Disease? Nothing seemed to fit.

Cheers
    Fred

5. Jo jo

Jo jo Active Member

Sorry for the confusion Fred. Thanks Nina. Just found this on another thread:

6. footsiegirl

footsiegirl Active Member

has any one here tried to redeem their CPD "points"?

7. maitai

maitai Member

I'm following this thread with interest as I've just returned from maternity leave and the thought of making 20 hours of CDP from now till November is FREAKIN' me out. On saying that, I have been reading and 'learning' lots from our forum here and would love to know if I can convert my CDP points here to go towards the end total. I read somewhere that it will cost to get a certificate sent out....is that right? How do I go about that?:confused:

Thanks

8. footsiegirl

I have just purchased my certificate, though I have no idea yet as to when I will receive it. It costs £25.00 U.S. dollars, and you pay via a Paypal link. When it comes it is in the form of an emailed certificate. I will let you know how they determine how many online CPD points they use to convert to your CPD hours on the certificate.

9. footsiegirl

Hello again,

I just received my Certificate of CPD hours. Mine equates to 30 hours, which they determined by using an algorithum to weight my actual CPD points. It took less than one week.

10. aspod

aspod Member

Hi footsiegirl,

Well done on the 30 hours! Do you mind if I ask how many CPD Points you had through Pod arena, you must have had quite a few...

Thank you for your posts.

11. footsiegirl

My points total is 1,960, and my 30 CPD hours was based on 1,950 points.
    Its good to know that I am not always wasting my time on the computer!

12. aspod

aspod Member

Wow, that is a lot of points!! Great job. Time on Pod arena is never wasted time :)
    Thanks again

13. maitai

maitai Member

Thanks for letting us know footsiegirl and congratulations on getting 30 CDP hours!

14. Jo jo

Jo jo Active Member

Wow that is pretty incredible! In Aus we can only claim 10 points for self directed learning. Is it the same in the UK?

15. footsiegirl

No, it isn't the same. However, the 'points' that you mention are only those that have been awarded by P.A. They determine, from the number you have acrued, how many CPD HOURS that equates to. Different forms of activity on P.A. are credited with differing points. So, for instance, if you log on and read posts then you will get a few points each time. If you post a response then that will be rewarded with a greater amount of points. If you start a thread then you are awarded even more points. At least, I think that is how it works.

In my opinion, however, it isn't enough to present a certificate of points or hours. It is equally, if not more important to build a reflective diary. IE, if you read an article or research paper, or if you attend a course or workshop, then write a reflective piece in order to demonstrate what you have learned, and how you will put that in to practice, etc.

I'm sure there are a great many thoughts from others on this topic.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  16. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Footsiegirl,

I am a bit puzzled by your post

I didn't think that the Alliance accepted points from any organisation other than their own? I thought that FHPs who are members of the Alliance had to show evidence of 40 points-worth of in-house CPD.

In addition, I was not aware that non-regulated practitioners such as yourself needed to engage in reflective practice due to your limited scope of practice and the fact that you are not an HPC registered podiatrist?

Of course if I am in error then no doubt you will enlighten me.

regards

Catfoot

17. footsiegirl

Sorry CF, I don't perceive that you read the posts correctly.

18. Catfoot

Footsiegirl,
    I'm afraid your perception is in error as I have read all the post and my questions are quite clear.
    However, I will try and put it another way.
    I understnd that Members of the Alliance of Private Sector practitioners, like yourself, are required to complete in-house CPD to the value of 40 points to maintain their membership and insurance. The points on Podiatry Arena do not count towards this, so I do not see why they have any value to you?

In addition only those who are Health Professions Council registered are required to engage in reflective practice and complete a portfolio for possible inspection. As you are not HPC registered and therefore do not fall under the same umbrella as the the Allied Health Professions, I wondered what advantage to you there was in doing this?

Quite simple questions really.

regards

Catfoot

19. footsiegirl

You have, as your first post correctly stated, misunderstood my posts, and although it is not for me to tell you where you have gone wrong, I did nonetheless redirect you to it in order that you may look at it with fresh eyes.

Read: definition: To have the ability to examine and grasp the meaning of (written or printed material in a given language or notation): reads Chinese; reads music. (Dictionary.com)

20. Catfoot

Sorry, Footsiegirl but I really don't know where you are coming from.

I'm also sorry you are unable to respond to my questions as it would have been most enlightening.

FHPs claim that they are "misunderstood" by Pods but when pods ask questions in order to understand their raison d'etre all we get is obfuscation. Whether this is deliberate, or just due to lack of intellect, we will never know.
    A shame really.

regards

Catfoot

21. footsiegirl

CF,
    I am not about to share with you what the Alliance requires from its members, for a variety of reasons, but suffice to say that you wrong in so many ways.

This thread is concerned communicating with P.A. members who are interested to know the details of submitting their P.A. CPD points for conversion to P.A. CPD hours. I wont be derailed from that.

That is the main reason why I have chosen to avoid letting this thread slide into a slanging match - for that is what your intention appears to be - and I am going on past postings between us.

There is no point in explaining any further CF as your intention is more concerned with denegration than enlightenment. I won't be drawn in to any further postings with you on this for that reason.

22. Catfoot

Footsiegirl,
    So I am wrong, but yet you don't wish to put me right - very strange, especially when you say that it is me who is not interested in enlightenment !

So now you are clairvoyant as well as being unable to engage in rational discussion?

I am trying not to let this get personal but as you have brought up past postings I do recall one where you said you would put me on your "ignore list". This has obviously not happened as you can still view my posts. I wonder why you chose not to follow through ?

I am not sure what you mean by "denigration" but the dictionary says it is to "criticize someone unfairly". I would disagree, as what I have said about you is quite accurate IMO which is probably why you don't like it.

If you put yourself on a public forum than you will risk attracting both brickbats and bouquets, so if you don't like the idea then the simple answer is don't post.

CF

23. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Catfoot,

You are quite incorrect in your strongly asserted belief that the Alliance requires 40 'in-house' cpd points from its members...... it does not.

The Alliance accepts cpd from any source, so long as it is relevant to practice. Evidence of this is freely available on the Alliance website www.thealliancefhp.com for those who will read.

The Alliance, exactly as the hpc, advocates that cpd should be from a range of different activitities and a range of sources. And yes - reflective accounts most certainly consolidate cpd activities.

For one who has it wrong, the intention of your posting is exactly to denigrate.

Draw your claws in. There is too strong a smell of cat around here.....

24. Catfoot

Hello Johnpod and thank you for your imput.

Unfortunately the link you gave me is broken.

I have looked at the CPD section on the Alliance website
    http://www.thealliancepsp.com/Alliance_of_Foot_Heath_CPD_and_Publications.htm

and cannot find any reference to points from other sources being accepted for CPD, and neither can I find it anywhere on the website. I see there is some mention of a "reflective practice" form that can be downloaded but as the link is again broken I cannot access it.

So it seems that I also need to be clairvoyant, as well as your members.

regards

Catfoot

PS. Cat smells are natural and quite common but not as pervasive on this site as the smell of bu££$h*t,

25. footsiegirl

Thank you Johnpod for your input.

Catfoot: You were indeed on my ignore list. For some bizarre reason I did click on unignore, as I had hoped your nasty posts had stopped, and because threads are incomplete when someone is on an ignore list. However, after todays postings from you I did earlier re click on the ignore button, but unfortunately it didnt work, as your posts appeared once more. I think I have sorted it now, so please don't try to discuss anything else with me as I am not interested in anything else you have to say. Thank you.

I did just want to reiterate to everyone else that this thread should stop now with the nasty posts and lets try to keep it on track to inform those who would like to understand how the P.A. CPD points work. Thank you.

26. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Footsiegirl

As a matter of interest, does you certificate come with your real name on or does it have your alias?

CM

27. Catfoot

To continue with the discussion on Pod Arena CPD points,
    (And unfortunately our resident FHP Footsiegirl will not see this as I am on her "ignore" list ).

The idea behind this is good as a guide to one's interaction with colleagues. However, as one can obtain points from every posting, regardless of the content or the forum, it is an only an outline of one's CPD activities and should be dovetailed with other CPD activities.

CF

28. footsiegirl

Naturally, Podiatry Arena need your real name first.

29. Catfoot

Good Morning Johnpod,
    I hope you slept well without any caterwauling from my pals during the night to disturb your slumber?

I see that the Alliance website has now been updated with details of the points required for CPD and how they may be obtained. It now shows that other activities that are not "in house" are accepted as "variable awards" although the number of points is not specified as these are to be decided by the Alliance.

I am sure this will keep your members happy, apart from Footsiegirl, who has already said elsewhere that she doesn't find find Alliance CPD intellectually very challenging.

Unfortunately the link to the CPD Reflective Practice Form download is still broken, so if I can't access it then neither can your members.

regards

Cosy cat

30. hann

hann Active Member

What is the Alliance?? Never heard of it and also what is FHP?

31. footsiegirl

I am not a podiatrist but a Foot Health Practitioner (FHP).

The Alliance mentioned by some on here, refers to one of the regulatory bodies for FHPs and Podiatrists.

The Alliance of Private Sector Practitioners.

32. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

The Alliance of Private Sector Practitioners is not a regulatory body. It is a professional body for the representation of the interests of its private sector podiatrist and foot health practitioner members. It is now probably second in size only to the Society of C&P and is the leading body for FHPs.

Within the Alliance, all practitioners are members - because all are in practice and all have the same needs of practice insurance (£5m), practice support and cpd. All Alliance cpd events are open to all, and all are welcome at our Open Clinical Forums (branch events) or Annual Convention.

All Alliance cpd is at the right level for practice - speakers at the recent Convention included Judith Barbero-Brown, Teaching Fellow at the University of Durham, Dr Ian Mathieson, Senior Lecturer at the University of Cardiff, and Chris Ramsden, Internationally-recognised expert in Ergonomics and advisor to the NHS on podiatry issues. All have agreed to return to deliver further presentations....

The link to the Alliance website is properly www.thealliancepsp.com, not as stated earlier in the thread (my apologies for the typo). I am pleased to be able to make this correction.

I am certain that Catfoot is perfectly well intentioned, but has not yet learned that a little more discretion would temper the zeal and go a long way in her attempts at communication. We are not all brought up in the street or the alley.

I leave CF with a thought for the day.... 'you can grow things with bu££$h*t, but water them with cat pee and they die'

33. footsiegirl

My apologies :dizzy:

34. Catfoot

35. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

It's a shame the different regulatory bodies don't follow the same guidelines regarding CPD.. it would certainly make things much less confusing.
    However, I do appreciate that different countries have different rules and regs and these must be taken into consideration.
    Must admit moving from UK to Aus certainly took some mental readjustment regarding CPD :)
    fun fun fun !!

36. Frederick George

Looks like cats and dogs to me.
    Perhaps one shouldn't be concerned with another's business.
    Time for a tea break.
    Cheers

37. Catfoot

FG,
    I am sure many will follow your example ?

CF

38. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Thank you for the helpful link, Catfoot, but I have a better way.

I find that the well-placed application of the toecap of a boot, applied to the *, accompanied by a well-timed and swift dorsiflexion of the foot to be very effective :eek: (prophylactic flying lessons).

Done correctly, the cat will usually express its obvious pleasure at being weightless by emitting a loud and shrill squeal of delight.

The trick is to create a graceful parabolic trajectory, the end of which terminates beyond the boundary of my property. Extra points are scored if it lands in a heap of
    bu££s*it.

This method is ecologically sound, and involves no chemicals whatever.

39. footsiegirl

Lets just hope that those seriously interested to learn about P.A CPD points can actually sort out the wheat from the chaff on this thread, anyway.

40. hann

hann Active Member

hmmm not been the most productive five minutes I 've spent on this site