Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Extensor digitorum brevis injury

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by lcp, Aug 13, 2008.

1. lcp

lcp Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Gday all,
    just have a quick question as to whether anyone has seen or experienced a tear or injury to the EDB? I have just seen a patient who presented with pain in and around the 1st/2nd/3rd MPJ's following a wayward kick during a kickboxing session. There was pain when the EDB muscle belly was palpated, and she has severe prob's extending her digits, whilst the other foot is fine (she said she was able to do this prior to the injury however). I know I havent given any other biomech details, but was more interested into anyones experiences with this sort of problem.
    Thanks for your help
    Paul

2. Adrian Misseri

Adrian Misseri Active Member

G'Day Paul,

I have a pateint who has HSMN type 1 (peroneal atrophy), who sustained what I believe to be a chronic EDB injury due to an inversion ankle sprain and falling on the area. I'm having some success with inverting the foot, extending the digits and massaging the muscle belly with topical NSAIDs on a daily basis to break down adhesions and inflammatory mediators in the soft tissues. Hurts like *** when we start, but after 5 minutes of massage she feels much better and much looser through the area. Also might be worth trying a lateral forefoot wedge to dorsiflex the lateral forefoot, the idea being that extend the digits whilst reduecing the pull of the EDB and making teh EDL work more (through forefoot dorsiflexion on the mid/rearfoot).
    Worth a shot??

Cheers!

3. lcp

lcp Active Member

Thanks Adrian, might give that a try. She is pretty comfortable with the pain levels at the moment, and its not affecting her day2day life as such, but no pain is better than some pain hey.
    Thanks again
    Paul

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member