Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Local Analgesia - Hypnotherapy

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Clare Lomas, Feb 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Clare Lomas

Clare Lomas Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi!

I'm a 2nd year student and this is my first go at posting a thread, so please bear with me if there has been a previous discussion about this topic.

I was recently talking with an anaesthetist who was explaining how they practice hypnotherapy with some patients undergoing local analgesia, especially on the hand. They suggested that this could easily be transferred to the foot. It has fired my interest for a 3rd year dissertation topic, so I was wondering if anyone practitioners out there have any experience/information.

Many Thanks in advance,
    Clare

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Sorry Clare, But I recall a student in my year named Cath Terry, and she did this study (on the lower limb) and the results were interesting. It was published in the BJPM February 1998, pps 33-40.

"The Utilisation of hypnosis to produce anaesthesia in one lower limb"

Sorry to disappoint you.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  3. krystineh

krystineh Welcome New Poster

Hi
    This is my first post, I am a second year student of podiatry in Australia. I have completed a hypnotherapy diploma. I have also experienced it's use in anaethesis. It can be powerful but it depends on the client and hypnotherapist.
    A health professional can contribute to reducing anxiety just by the words they use with the client.
    I also am not sure if the professional podiatry organisations would allow "hypnosis (in the formal sense). I am interested to know what research is out there.

Regards

4. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Simply anecdotally; in 1978 we took a set of hallux nails of under hypnosis. This was for a GP who had a patient in need of avulsion/phenolisation, but was "allergic to everything" and was wary of LA. As it happened, this GP was into hypnosis, and did the business for us. All went well

5. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

I can hear the feet of Robert Isaacs pattering along the corridors of Pod Arena itching to get to this thread! I think they based the snake from jungle book on his eyes!!

6. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

7. blinda

blinda MVP

You can get a cream for that.

Fascinating to see how dynamic a pt can be whilst hypnotized, eh Robert?

8. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Interestingly, in my blinkered and naive youth, i asked the author before she published the original trial, how she did it, ie relax someone/calm someone down etc. I can happily admit I was put under some sort of "spell" or whatever the apt physiological phrase is. I was less sceptical after that.

9. Yep, it can work. Used it lots.

That is all.

The same effect, for very different reasons, can be acheived by other means of course :butcher:. Dynamic indeed...

10. There was a French surgeon who used a form of hypnosis on patients prior to operating. He performed a number of procedures at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham during 1999 alongside Jeremy Plewes - if I recall correctly - femoral derotation osteotomy, neurectomy and a Mitchell's osteotomy - all without anaesthesia and with the patients fully conversant and awake. The only nervousness was with the resident orthopods and anaesthetists - who watched and talked with the patients throughout their operations.

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Think you should elaborate on those dynamics, for those who may be interested.

12. Sigh.

When one relaxes (as in hypnosis) it can encourage digestive peristalsis to take place. This can lead to tummy gurgles and spontaneous passing of wind. This is the reason for the marital ritual of one person doing the wave machine thing with the Duvet and complaining bitterly of burning eyes while the other laughs their backside off and chortles "smell the beef!!!" or similar shortly after a couple goes to bed.

Additionally.

When one is having someone unfamilier with the process repeatedly stabbing and then "stirring" ones tibial nerve with a needle, it will result in agonising pain paleness, sweating, and extreme buttock clenching. This last may also result in the spontaneous passing of wind.

Both processes appear to be considerably more amusing to onlookers, who incidentally were supposed to be preventing the aforementioned repeated stabbing and stirring of the nerve, than to the stabbee, or the Hypnotherapist respectively.
    :boohoo:

13. blinda

blinda MVP

It was actually the bit associated with hypnosis that I meant to elaborate on, sorry....BUT, don`t you be pointing the pointy finger at me. You never said nuffin` so I thought it was fine. It was only when I realised that you actually couldnt speak for the pain that I did step in with "Um, you might want to stop doing that...."

Just wish I`d filmed it.

14. I think I said nnnnnnngggggggggguurfleeeeeeee!! at one point.

15. wesleyzarate

wesleyzarate Welcome New Poster

I think this is a good alternative if you don't want to take in meds or is allergic to certain meds that induce numbness. It has got some possibilities.