Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Use of single use instruments

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by ajs604, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ajs604

ajs604 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I run a small private home visiting Pod service, which is progressing well. Just a quick question is it possible for me to use single use instruments for clients? I had the idea that I could charge the client more intially to cover the cost of the instrument and then leave them at their house and use them soley for that client, that way I reduce my expenses.

At present I use autoclavable instruments and have to pay $5 per set for someone to steralise them for me as I do not have the capital yet to buy an autoclave?

Thanks in advance.

2. fronny

fronny Active Member

I see two problems, firstly the single use stuff is in my opinion rubbish and I would hate to have to work with it once let alone on multiple visits! Secondly you would be using instruments that you knew to be non sterile; I think that the fact they were the client's home grown pathogens would not count for much. My advice would be to buy some decent tools and a second hand autoclave that meets your statutory requirements until you have the resources for a new one. Just my two pennyworth!

3. Turtle

Turtle Member

Imagine the patient on the next consult:
    "Those clippers work great don't they! They got through my cats nails really well!"

o_O

4. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Just check the PodBA requirements, instruments capable of penetrating the skin should be sterile at time of use.

5. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Certainly with fronny on this one- rubbish instruments and not best practise as far as standards are concerned- I would highly recommend good quality instruments and an autoclave at home, anything else is false economy.

Sady, this is exactly how one of the NHS trusts near me operate. Failing to provide free treatment for all, they have opened a drop in centre where patients can get podiatry for slightly less than PP price locally, but have to purchase instruments initially and bring them in for appointments............unbelievable. As has been said, who knows what they do with them in between times!!

Regards

CM

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

7. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

ajs604,
    disposable instruments are c£@p - end of.

HTH

regards

Catfoot

8. björn

björn Active Member

Given how crappy double action clippers are at half the cost of what I currently use, I hate to think what the quality is like of the dipsosables.

But on a principle - and I'm not a full on greenie ;) - it's just so sad, that we feel it necessary to "dispose " of so much stuff after no more than 30 min use. First, computers, now TV's, cameras and telephones are thrown in a biannual, or triannual cycle. No wonder tip fees are through the roof (here in Melbourne anyway) :)

9. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should put in a complaint to the HPC about the managers of this NHS podiatry dept, seeing as how the NHS is so keen to use them to discipline their employees..

And yes I agree, using cheap or disposable instruments and then reusing them without sterilising and thinking its ok coz its the same person and making that person responsible in some way for their safety from infection, is just so wrong on so many levels

Dave Smith

10. MissB

MissB Active Member

Totally agree. Single use instruments are RUBBISH. My biggest bugbear was blades not fitting on scalpel handles. It's a miracle I still have all my fingers!

But what I dislike most is the waste aspect. They are incinerated and then they go to landfill. Think about the amount of instruments we get through - and how many times only one instrument is needed. ALL those instruments have to be disposed of because they are no longer sterile.

As someone who likes to recycle...I am not a fan!!

11. They're not as C*** as they used to be. I must admit that they have improved a great deal since the early days. Still nowhere near the quality of the real deal, but entirely usable. The only bit I really don't like now are the blacks files. You just can't make a properly thin blacks file with lower grade metal.

Its worth shopping around as well. They're not all the same.

I agree that one of the biggest bugbears is the disposal. Its criminal that they cannot be recycled!

Do me a favour! Thats all we bloody need. :mad:;)