Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sensomotoric insole work shop

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Boots n all, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    For any of you that have a number of peadiatric clients or have an interest in this system of treating peadiatric clients, here is a chance to attend a workshop with Lothar Jahrling and Peter Bernuis.

l have been personally using this type of insoles with my HTW ped's clients with a 98% success rate, l encourage you to investigate this approach for your clients best possible outcomes.

The workshop with Lothar Jahrling and Peter Bernuis is scheduled for 31st March, Saturday morning from 10:30 to 11:50 at IVO 2012.

Peter Bernuis is a peadicatric orthopaedic surgeon and has been working with Lothar, OSM, for many years.

They make an excellent and experienced team in assessing a patient and working out a treatment process.

At the workshop we will have 2 or 3 paediatric patients and their physiotherapist.

The patients will be assessed by the team Bernius and Jahrling. All children have had different orthotic interventions in the past.

There will be plenty of opportunity to see and ask in the hands on intimate workshop done by the sensomotoric leading team.

l will be chairing this workshop and look forward to seeing you there at www.ivo2012.org.au

2. footpower

footpower Active Member

I understand there will be points for continuous education available as well.

3. Boots n all

Certainly will Karl, l spoke with Fiona Calodoucas from Apodc, from what l understood they can claim up to ten hours.

Here is the latest

Attached Files:

4. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

David what may I ask are Sensomotoric insoles and what are they used for?

5. Boots n all

Come to IVO and find out David, promise you a front row seat at the workshop if you like:D

6. footpower

footpower Active Member

The use of sensomotoric orthoses has became common place on the European continent over the last 10 years. It started by looking at neuromuscular aspects and orthotic intervention. Lothar Jahrling presented his first case studies at a Pedorthic meeting in 1996 about orthoses for CP and the concept is now applied over a larger area of pathologies. There seemed to be 2 key schools of thought, one out of France and one out of Germany.

The IVO2012 congress will have a number of presentations on it from Germany and France.
    One key note lecture is from Dr. Wolfgang Laube called: “Sensorimotor system – interface between man and environment – functional role of the foot”. There is a write up about Dr. Laube as well as other presenters on http://www.ivo2012.org.au/english/eng_program.html

Further presenters are the paediatric orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Peter Bernius as well as Lothar Jahrling OSM. Dr. Bernius will present a lecture called: “Sensomotoric shoe inserts – what’s new, what’s well known?” Lothar Jahrling will present on his orthotic work as well as team up with Dr. Bernius for the workshop with physio and patient interaction.

It may be worthwhile to attend the IVO2012. A lot of development does happen in different language and cultural areas that are not communicated across those barriers ant the IVO aims at doing that in its congresses held every 3 years.

When you get to the IVO2012, please ask for me and I will be happy to introduce you to those presenters to put your question to them directly. David Sutton visited a several clinics in Europe and knows those presenters as well and I am sure he will be happy to help you here as well.

7. Phil Rees

Phil Rees Active Member

Sounds interesting David ... I'll be there

8. For those of us who cannot attend, can you give us a quick run-down on the rationale and supporting evidence, please?

9. David Wedemeyer

I wasn't planning on visiting Australia this year unfortunately but Simon appears interested in understanding this subject as well. C'mon mate, give us a peek? :D

10. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

We had a visit from Lothar Jahrling a few years back and he described his insoles and technique. Unfortunately his English is not fantastic (but better than my German) so I am not sure he could communicate the theories as clearly as he perhaps would want to.

If my understanding is correct, he believes that his design of foot orthoses stimulate muscle response... the devices have a range of lumps and bumps on them and certainly look a little unusual. I did not really buy into the rationale, however he did show video of a neurological toe walker that had responded impressively to his orthoses.

He also showed video of someone with (from memory) grade 1-2 Tib Post dysfunction who had also apparently responded well. In this case, however, I did not think that the level of control was what I would have been satisfied with even if they had improved symptomatically.

He had a theory as to how his orthoses worked, but I could also come up with a completely different theory as to their mode of action- for example: The lump to stimulate tib post would also provide support medial to a medially deviated STJ axis... Muscle activation or mechanical tissue stress reduction??

I did show him a Polypropylene foot orthosis to which his response was 'well this is too hard'. Amazing. I never thought that a foot orthosis could be made softer...:rolleyes:

Perhaps Karl- Heinz could expand or correct my observations? Perhaps there is some evidence in German that he can share with us??

11. Sounds a bit like Duncan's reflex stimulation and tone relieving insoles. We have discussed this before either here or on the old mailbase. I don't have time right now but if you google it you'll find the papers.

12. David Wedemeyer

I found a couple bits about the subject:

http://www.shoetech.com.au/products.html

http://www.oandp.org/jpo/library/1990_01_033.asp

Reflexes of the Foot

13. Boots n all

Simon, l promise you a front row seat next to David if you come.

Most of the research done, is in German, so we are fixing that by having these guys come and present their work for you, translator will be provided.

The sensomotoric insoles when used with children with CP or HTW children(l only use it for HTW) works by not so much following the contour of the foot as most orthosis do, but rather by working with a number of intrinsic postings to trigger a different Neuromuscular response, as CraigT points out.

Its a little hard l would think to do a double blind research on an item like a sensomotric insole, as it is so different to the feeling of anything else, you cant hide it as such.

Like all research, it is expensive and not always conclusive, so until it is more widely used l dont think we will see much more research on this approach sadly.

Anecdotal, l can tell you l have had some great results for my HTW clients, but l know thats not what you want to hear, will see if l can dig up some of the research done, remember this theory has only been in use since 1996 for memory, were as common orthosis have been in use for much longer, which means more dollars have been invested for the research.

14. I appreciate that you are trying to sell a conference within this thread, but there must be some background reading in English, otherwise you wouldn't have invited these speakers, just on their say so, surely? Yeah pay my fights and attendance fees, along with the hotel and I'll be there in the front row. Otherwise, I should like to read more of the published science...

15. Phil Rees

Phil Rees Active Member

It sounds very much like a progression of the Cascade / Nancy Hylton tone inhibiting D.A.F.O. approach. We used them quite a lot in Derby back in the mid 80's together with the neuro AFO's developed by Joanne Shamp. If it is what I think it is (tone inhibiting orthoses based on Bill Duncan's work and later the Duncan and Mott study) it'll be interesting to see how this approach has moved on in the last 25 years

16. Boots n all

Simon, my pockets are very deep and my arms are very short;)

The speakers were invited by the scientific committee, where Karl Schott is the chair and he is just one of the German's on the committee so...

A this point, for me personally, l can only see it's application for the HTW, l have never ever seen anything like the response this flexible orthosis gets.

17. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

For anyone in the UK interested in neuro footplate style orthoses(from foot orthoses to AFOs, this is the Cascade range available through OrthoEurope in the UK http://www.ortho-europe.com/Footwear/Fitz-Kidz/Paediatric-Orthotics/Shoe-Inserts-FastFit-DAFOs

I do some work for the Orthotic Service part of this company and have occasionally used some of these. The DAFOs are actually very good but reliant on largely "normal anatomy" For many habitual toe walkers(although I am VERY skeptical about how many children are truly habitual with no neurolgy) this is not a problem. Very well made with good flexibility over the most difficult fitting areas and in many cases, reduces the need to cast.

Not something i use lots of but a good weapon in the arsenal.

18. David Wedemeyer

Page 5 paragraph two of the Barfoot Science link Simon.

Just to be clear we are talking about DAFO's and AFO foot plates; supramalleolar devices?

19. Boots n all

Phil, l just checked the draft program for when you are presenting, your are going to be free to attend this workshop at the moment;)

20. Sorry for the digress but a bit like this then

[​IMG]

21. Boots n all

LOL, no, thats the electronic variation Mike.

l am not sure, but l think l remember your were also using Lothar's approach for HTW'sm a few years ago?

22. Boots n all

Despite the "Bookings now closed" you can still book both now and on the day of registration for IVO 2012, it just costs you a tiny bit more.

Not a lot of seats left for the IVO 2012 Dinner, so if you wish to join us for that Gala dinner, you better be quick getting onto that one!

This workshop looks like being the most anticipated workshops for IVO 2012
    hope to see you there.

23. footpower

footpower Active Member

Sorry about the late fees, the congress organising company insisted on them as late registrations apparently creates more work for them.

Mention Podiatry arena to me at the IVO dinner and I will get you free drinks.
    :drinks

24. Boots n all

Careful there Karl, this lot can drink like a fish:drinks

To cover the bar tab you might have to sell your hohe Qualität Deutsch engineered Auto:D

25. footpower

footpower Active Member

You are right; I should put a limit of a couple of beers on it after all the top beer drinking nations will be present at the congress dinner.
    My über-engineered car is in with the mechanics. It has a problem with its ABC. Fancy that.
    :drinks

26. Boots n all

One sleep to go people, l am already in Sydney and have met up with Ernesto Castro inventor of the Arizona Brace, Katran Wegener and Richard Hodey, German trainned C.Ped's and great people.

But here is some of what you are waiting for, who knows l might be able to get Lothar to come on-line if we have time?...

Attached Files: