Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Surgeons too quick to amputate

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by NewsBot, May 31, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Medical News Today are reporting:
    Epidemic Of Unneeded Amputations - Physicians Too Quick To Amputate Despite Medical Advances
    31 May 2006

2. Tully

Tully Active Member

The article above appears to be from America, and although I am based in WA I dont think there is much difference here.

I have patients with significant intermittant claudication symptoms, and partial arterial blockages, who are told by vascular surgeons that surgery is not necessary 'yet'. I have also seen a case where a podiatrist was contacting a public vascular clinic every week (in Perth) to have an ulcer patient seen- in the end they were only seen AFTER developing gangrene.

Our health system is simply too overcrowded to provide best practise health care.

If someone has an inspiring story to the contrary I would love to hear it.

3. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Tully,

If the podiatrist had such concerns re a non-healing ischemic ulcer, why didn't they sent the patient to the ED with a well written letter? This would usually result in an urgent Vasc review.

At our hospital an urgent vasc OP Appt can be arranged within a week, and the vasc reg will often rv patients in the ED.

4. Tully

Tully Active Member

Hi Steven,

I am not sure why that was not done, as I was a student at the time and not prone to questioning senior podiatrists actions! Perhaps it was one of the many times the ED was on byspass that year.