Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

End of Empire - America's terminal decline.

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Mark Russell, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Fascinating insight into the growing depravation in the world's "greatest economy". http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01c2y2b/

What impact on those needing podiatry care and can't afford the insurance .....?

2. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Don't you worry Mark we'll come around...just as soon as we find a way to package our debt and losses into derivatives, obfuscate their true value and sell them abroad to the unwitting ;)

Kidding of course. Great post thanks for sharing. For those who cannot view BBC feeds (you naughty Brits) here is a link to the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXaJKeYGzDU

3. Mark:

It's really terrible out here in California and the United States of America, home of "depravation", at least in some people's eyes.

Even though it is still winter, it's sunny, a very pleasant 55 degrees F and I am having a very pleasant afternoon off of work today here in Sacramento. In my 55 years of living, I have discovered that if you go looking for it, you will always be able to find problems with any country, any city, any community and any person. Instead, I try to focus on the positives in my life, and have pity for the less fortunate.

Of course, I'm sure your country, and all other countries of this world, have no "depravation". It's only the USA that has such conditions?:confused:

4. No of course not Kevin; people in other countries have been living in much worse conditions all their lives and have little or no hope of any improvements in their living conditions. What is different is the America that is often portrayed as the hub of civilisation is a mere facade of something much more nefarious and unpleasant and has a significant underbelly of citizens whose future is far from certain. I remember visiting Sacremento in 1989 and noting that my hosts - who had recently moved into a "gated community" - considerd living within the high barbed-wire fence an acceptable and desirable facet of modern American living. "Keeps the scum on the outside" as he so eloquently put it. I guess where you have great extremes in wealth in any society you will end up with the sort of problems you face today.

5. Mark:

I doubt your hosts lived in a community with a "barbed wire fence" around it. Please let's not be so ridiculous, unless the gated community you are speaking of is Folsom Prison.

Doesn't Buckingham Palace have a fairly tall gate around it to also? How long has Buckingham Palace's gate been around for? Or is it just royalty that is allowed to have a gate around their house?

By the way, I don't live in a gated community. And in Sacramento, probably only about 1% of the population does live in a gated community. What about the other 99%?

Every country has its problems, Mark. And I don't know where you get the idea that America is portrayed as being the "hub of civilization". All you need to do is listen to the 6:00 news on TV and read the daily newspaper headlines that we have plenty of problems of our own. Maybe you need to actually spend some more time here to get a sense of what it is really like instead of forming opinions based on what the news media likes to report on American life.

6. For the record, I've visited the USA six times now and I love it more on every visit. If I could get work out there as a podiatrist / lecturer / lab tech etc, I'd be happy to relocate with my family tomorrow. Love the place and the people. :drinks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCbOEZ8c8dM

7. No, it certainly wasn't Folsom Prison - but the analogy fits! And yes there are big fences and gates around Buckingham Palace, but I always thought they were there to protect the public from the residents - not the other way around.

I spent an enjoyable few years in the USA, Kevin, and just like anywhere else there are examples of good and bad living. I was based near Brockton just a few miles south of leafy Boston - yet it was far removed from the New England most people think of. Interestingly, many of the commentators and writers that I was lucky to have met during my time in the States have become staunch critics of the Federal Government and its institutions and are aghast at the turn of events during the past decade in both domestic and foreign arenas. I guess we all try and see the best of things most of the time - after all, we don't have to look very far to see the other side of humanity irrespective of where we live. But as the Japanese proverb says "mizaru, kikazaru, iwazaru"! I listened to Kevin Philips last week who surprised even me with his call-to-arms for every "true American Citizen". It's always good to be positive, but only when your eyes are wide open.

All the best

8. Mark:

Fortunately, I am an student of American history, and to a much lesser extent a student of European history. As such, we, as a country, have always faced adversity and have seemed to come out of our problems just as solid of a country, if not more solid, than before. My parents both lived through the Great Depression. My father was a radio man on the USS Pennsylvania during the attack on Pearl Harbor and saw, first hand, from a vantage point that few had that morning at the top of the battleship, the death and destruction that occurred that day. Somehow, however, we made it through these much more difficult times than we have today as a country, and, probably became stronger than ever.

Therefore, even though I understand your concerns about our country, also understand that the popular news media never reports on all the good things that happen in America. The popular news media never reports on all the good people, all the children who aren't abducted going to school every day, all the people who aren't kidnapped, aren't murdered, aren't raped, aren't bitten by sharks, aren't struck by lightning, aren't killed while flying in an airplane/jet, aren't involved in a motor vehicle accident and all the people who live happy, healthy and relatively uneventful lives.

As such, I would tend to doubt that all the 313,000,000 people that currently live in America are subjected to a significant amount of "depravation".

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

I'm the same. Love the place and people, and really love American sport. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could practice there.

10. Thankfully we share and rejoice in more than we disagree, Kevin - and in more important aspects of our cultures than politics and economics. The world may be ill-divided but it's reassuring and comforting to know that allegiances run deeper than the superficialities portrayed in the popular media. Where would we be without our music?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  11. Did we also get this famous scene from our friends across the Atlantic?;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  12. footpower

footpower Active Member

I am currently in the Japan attending the local Pedorthic / orthopaedic footwear congress. I visited the USA and many other countries attending Pedorthic / orthopaedic congresses. I found mostly good people in most places. My recent visit to the USA was to attend the PFA congress in New Mexico November 2011, very nice, very safe and I plan to visit the USA again. I wish to meet more people from the US at those international events in different countries.

13. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

For those with a love of american sport and good drama catch friday night lights great show about a high school football team (Tues 8pm sky atlantic in uk)
    Tim