Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Overpronation, The Truth

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Dieter Fellner, Nov 26, 2010.

1. we already have an understanding that the talus may move more in the transverse and sagittal planes relative to the calcaneus from the published reseach.. your point seemed to be about eversion/ inversion hence me directing my comments to frontal plane mechanics. My point being: it still moves in the frontal plane, as oppose to your earlier inference that it does not. As I pointed out to Ed recently it's more about the percentage of the total range than the absolute number of degrees. Do you see?

So 6.5 degrees in the frontal plane is not the same as zero then is it, as was your earlier contention?
    Paul, as you know, your images show the calcaneus not moving because they are static images... :bash: You measured calcaneal motion in your other subjects how? Why are you not showing them here? 6.8 degrees in which plane?- Frontal, right? Take a wild guess what the published research shows regarding frontal plane STJ motion? Here's a bandwagon- see if you can make it on board..

Slipping and sliding all the way down to you know where, Paul. More than happy not to be mowing the lawn.

2. musmed

musmed Active Member

Dear Mr spooner
    No I am not slipping and sliding the grass is quite dry thank you.

The 6.5 is the maximum variation in the 10 subjects. Two had a zero variation.

I have heard podiatrists tell me in workshops that is moves upwards of 30+ degrees.

I have reread what I wrote. I may correct myslef by adding the calcaneus does not move any where as much as people think it does.

These are standing images> You talk of Ground reaction force, is that not a ststic image? one moment in time?

Maybe if we were in the same room we may converse differently.

Do not freeze. off for a swim in Jervis Bay.
    Regards
    PauL conneely

3. I know my spag is pretty poor at times but I really wish you would check your posts Paul! A few typos (or speling errors in my case) is one thing but sentances like this

Are actually quite hard to work out! It makes it more difficult to see what you are trying to say and that affects your ability to communicate your ideas! I'm struggling to understand the point you are trying to make, not because of what you are trying to say, but because of how you are trying to say it!

Just to be clear, your contention is that there is less frontal plane movement of the calc than people think, because people mistake movement of the soft tissue around the calc for movement of the bone beneath. Is that what you are driving at?

4. musmed

musmed Active Member

Dear Robert
    maybe life would have been easier for me if we spoke together first.
    Yes, this is what
    i have been trying to say.
    Thank you for this posting
    Regards, it is still warm
    Paul Conneely

5. musmed

musmed Active Member

Dear Robert
    I write everything in word and correct it. we had a lightening storm at the time and I suggest that this has buggered the transmission. Nothing new where I live.
    We have had some of the worst weather I can remember since I was a kid in the 60's.
    thank you
    Paul Conneely

6. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Earlier we talked about situations where the shoe suggests more pronation- or calcaneal eversion- is occurring than there actually is.
    See below an example-

Attached Files:

7. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

This guy had many shoes, so was happy for me to take the band saw to one of them to highlight how the position of his heel is causing the heel counter to evert.
    What I am trying to highlight is how you cannot judge foot function purely by observing shod gait only... or unshod gait only for that matter. This subject had pretty good alignment and function, minimal supination resistance and little evidence of first ray functional restriction when static...
    I will try and figure out how to insert the video...

8. Nice pictures craig!

Best way to do a video is to upload to YouTube and post the link.

9. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

10. Fantastic videos Craig!! Looks like, as we originally said, that the horrible "overpronation" that was originally thought to be present by many early on in this thread, was, actually, only an optical illusion.

Here is my explanation from earlier, for those that don't want to read the earlier threads where many were wondering how Haile ran so well with such "horrible overpronation". If you want a good chuckle, go back now and read some of those earlier posts, now with your video in mind.;)

11. Here is Craig Tanner's first video:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  12. Here is Craig's second video:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  13. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

I find all of that fascinating.... but what is it that causes this in some runners but not all runners?