Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

London - Olympics 2012

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 28th July 2011, 04:23 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)
Default London - Olympics 2012

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
So with a day less then a year, the London Olympics will be here sooner than you think.

Anyone besides Ian G excited yet!

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Sponsored Links
Old 28th July 2011, 05:47 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Re: London - Olympics 2012

As you know Mike - I'm a wee bit excited. Something very special about the Olympic games for sure.

There was a bit of a 'do' in London last night (you may have seen it on TV) to mark the 1 year countdown. Culminated with the first ever swim race (celebrity) in the newly opened Aquatic centre. I'm sure I'm not alone in those that are surprised how quickly (and early) the various stadia are being finished ; its most un-British of us!
Old 28th July 2011, 05:52 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
As you know Mike - I'm a wee bit excited. Something very special about the Olympic games for sure.

There was a bit of a 'do' in London last night (you may have seen it on TV) to mark the 1 year countdown. Culminated with the first ever swim race (celebrity) in the newly opened Aquatic centre. I'm sure I'm not alone in those that are surprised how quickly (and early) the various stadia are being finished ; its most un-British of us!
Ian did you get the ambassador/helper gig ?

Old 28th July 2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:

Ambassador? If all else fails I'll just wander round the athletes village with a tray of Ferrero Roche...

Medical team not being announced until September at earleist apparently.
Old 28th July 2011, 07:19 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Grouch Zone

I'm not excited. This is yet another metrocentricity scam. The black hole that is London is getting vast amounts of British tax payers money to run this London junket for which new facilities (such as the aqua centre) are being built when perfectly good facilities already exist elsewhere. If no-one had noticed, we're in a bit of fiscal downturn in the UK at the moment and can ill afford this stuff. So London local taxpayers will get all their money back via visitor's spending but the average mug in the rest of the country will not. When it is all over - well look, lo and behold, London will have spanking new housing (from the athlete's village), wonderful new sporting facilities and a superb new infra structure. Why is this important to the remainder of the population of the UK? It is, you know, so that we can go and spend our hard earned readies on London facilities, London transport, London food, London Hotels, London pubs (the beer is by and large foul), London clubs and even London Ladies of The Night (for those who are so inclined).

As I say, another London scam to the detriment of the rest of the country, and before anyone says that other areas will get some benefit, well, that's just crumbs from the rich man's table.;

Only half in jest

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to W J Liggins For This Useful Post:
twirly (29th July 2011)
Old 28th July 2011, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:

Time of the month Bill?
Old 28th July 2011, 07:30 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Nope. Just every day, every week, every month, year in year out of London this, London that, London everything.

Never mind, Ian. You'll get to stuff your cockney pockets!
Old 29th July 2011, 03:24 AM

About:

Whilst there are some great sporting arenas around the country - i think the games could only be held in London, when in China, there were vast amounts of unsold tickets across the board, but London is a tourist magnet around the world, people want to come here when there is nothing to do to begin with, but throw an Olympics into the mix and we are left with sold out venues across the games, combine that with London making use of already existing venues/makeshift venues (Wimbledon, Lords, Woolwhich Arsenal....list goes on) which other places wouldnt be able to do as well. All of this means the overall spend for what will be a pretty good legacy (maybe not in sporting terms but def in infrasturcture and design) is much lower than it could have been. Plus the Olympics in England! that alone should just be enough to make people excited!
Old 29th July 2011, 08:41 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Thanks, you make my point for me.

".....a pretty good legacy (maybe not in sporting terms but def in infrasturcture and design)".

However, it will actually be a pretty good sporting legacy - a huge arena to begin with to attract more people to London where, as I say, they will spend their money. So whilst the rest of the country suffers from unemployment, rising taxes (part going to the games), and an economic downturn, London just gets more and more and more.

Very nice for you. Go and stuff your pockets along with Ian but try to understand that there is still one year to go and the constant re-iteration of London, London, London from the London based media becomes tedious, not to say irritating.

Try Twenty Twelve on BBC2. That is a tremendously witty satire on the whole nonsense. Incredibly, at least two of the situations came true, long after the material was written.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:46 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W J Liggins View Post
Thanks, you make my point for me.

".....a pretty good legacy (maybe not in sporting terms but def in infrasturcture and design)".

However, it will actually be a pretty good sporting legacy - a huge arena to begin with to attract more people to London where, as I say, they will spend their money. So whilst the rest of the country suffers from unemployment, rising taxes (part going to the games), and an economic downturn, London just gets more and more and more.

Very nice for you. Go and stuff your pockets along with Ian but try to understand that there is still one year to go and the constant re-iteration of London, London, London from the London based media becomes tedious, not to say irritating.

Try Twenty Twelve on BBC2. That is a tremendously witty satire on the whole nonsense. Incredibly, at least two of the situations came true, long after the material was written.
Maybe in some distant time....so you can be a little less envious of the great city of London...they will have a Warwickshire Olympics......then you can stuff your pockets also.....

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

E-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
Old 29th July 2011, 09:30 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kirby View Post
Maybe in some distant time....so you can be a little less envious of the great city of London...they will have a Warwickshire Olympics......then you can stuff your pockets also.....
Interestingly, we have the Cotswold Olympics not very far away. These pre-date the modern Olympics by many a long year - but I digress. It's interesting that you should presume to think that I am envious of London, since you don't know me at all.

I do recall that you had the Olympics in California some years ago. It should, of course, according to you, have been held in Washington!

This light hearted banter is now becoming as tedious as the blasted 2012 Olympics, so I trust that you will forgive me if I bow out.

All the best

Bill Liggins

Old 30th July 2011, 01:32 PM

About:

I am trying hard not to get too excited as I might be disappointed when I go to see the archery and mens hockey..................No failing miserably am VERY excited and have started to plan our train tickets already
Old 31st July 2011, 03:29 AM

About:

Very, Very Excited - although totally lost out on tickets for the athletics.
Old 31st July 2011, 03:33 AM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
although totally lost out on tickets for the athletics.
... there is always the synchronized swimming!
Old 31st July 2011, 03:51 AM

About:

Actually Craig - I video that for analysis later (play on words there). I do have 4 tickets for the rowing at Dorney. But we have the worldcup first which I am super excited about. I did notice that England has been describe as a bunch of 'wannabes' by John Key - nice

Do you know who this dude is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danny carter england.jpg (12.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 31st July 2011, 05:16 AM

About:

I was reading an article in the observer about Lawrence Okoye Who is the World under 23 year old discus record holder from good old Croydon, there is a picture of him throwing and before he has released the discus his back foot is off the ground .This cant help ,or maybe it does ? I have never looked in to the mechanics of throwing , would imagine you drive of your leg and having your foot of the ground before you release would hinder rather than help.As for the rugby I would love to see England do well but cant see them winning .Maybe if we lent the Aussies our front row we could give the All Blacks a tight game?
Old 31st July 2011, 06:39 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timharmey View Post
I was reading an article in the observer about Lawrence Okoye Who is the World under 23 year old discus record holder from good old Croydon, there is a picture of him throwing and before he has released the discus his back foot is off the ground .This cant help ,or maybe it does ? I have never looked in to the mechanics of throwing , would imagine you drive of your leg and having your foot of the ground before you release would hinder rather than help.As for the rugby I would love to see England do well but cant see them winning .Maybe if we lent the Aussies our front row we could give the All Blacks a tight game?
Discus athletes don't stand in one place to throw the discus. They basically spin in a tight 540 degree circle to gain more momentum and, at the instant of the throw, they are at their fastest spinning velocity. Since spinning is like running around in tight circles, you certainly wouldn't ask why Usain Bolt's feet are off the ground when we wins the 100 m dash, would you?

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM

Private Practice:
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Old 31st July 2011, 06:55 AM

About:

Thanks , not sure about the soundtrack .Never took much interest in the Discus ,it is really explosive and their feet were not on the ground when the released it,I think i will follow it a bit more , is a very dynamic event.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:29 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Thanks , not sure about the soundtrack .Never took much interest in the Discus ,it is really explosive and their feet were not on the ground when the released it,I think i will follow it a bit more , is a very dynamic event.
Next to the pole vault and the hammer throw, the discus is a very difficult event to master. I didn't appreciate how strong those guys were until my skinny little distance runner body tried doing this event in junior high and high school. These guys are super human!

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM

Private Practice:
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Old 31st July 2011, 08:54 AM

About:

It was an eye opener I often watch athletics but just did not regster how dynamic and explosive these guys are, sorry to any shot putters out there but at my school it was won by some big fat bloke!I suppose It has moved on and with tight drug testing become fairer for the honest athlete. Any one out there who provides orthotics used by "throwing"athletes, the forces thru feet must be extreme. Sorry to ramble but that is how my brain works. Paula Radcliffe a famous English Marathon runner has a book on running where she recomends foot strengthening exercises, such as using a Thera band for resisted dorsiflexion. I have a few patients who are weak in this area( no spinal impingment), and have had good results in treating shin splints by improving their extensors strength. Do you recommend foot strengtening exercises ?
Tim
Old 31st July 2011, 11:33 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
It was an eye opener I often watch athletics but just did not regster how dynamic and explosive these guys are, sorry to any shot putters out there but at my school it was won by some big fat bloke!I suppose It has moved on and with tight drug testing become fairer for the honest athlete. Any one out there who provides orthotics used by "throwing"athletes, the forces thru feet must be extreme. Sorry to ramble but that is how my brain works. Paula Radcliffe a famous English Marathon runner has a book on running where she recomends foot strengthening exercises, such as using a Thera band for resisted dorsiflexion. I have a few patients who are weak in this area( no spinal impingment), and have had good results in treating shin splints by improving their extensors strength. Do you recommend foot strengtening exercises ?
Tim
I had the pleasure of treating, about a year before the Beijing Olympics, the eventual gold medalist in the women's discus in the Beijing Olympics. The injury that I was treating was simply due to the act of repetitive throwing which caused a painful lower extremity condition that was making it difficult for her to continue training at the intensity she needed to for her pre-Olympic workout schedule. I guess the treatment worked pretty well for her.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM

Private Practice:
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Old 31st July 2011, 12:23 PM

About:

Thats a feather in your cap!
Any advice on foot strengthening exercises?
Tim
Old 31st July 2011, 12:38 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Thats a feather in your cap!
Any advice on foot strengthening exercises?
Tim
Can you clarify? Also, it would be better, Tim, before we get into intrinsic versus extrinsic foot strengthening exercises, that you start a new thread on this subject, rather than divert further away from a discussion of the London Olymptics.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM

Private Practice:
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Old 31st July 2011, 12:52 PM

About:

Will do ,will put in the general bit.The young guy from Croydon had a stinker in the UK trials today and finished 5th !
Tim
Old 31st July 2011, 12:58 PM

About:

Im quite excited about the olympics coming to London next year!! @ Ian, I have also applied for the medical team. I cant wait for the announcement to be made
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:24 AM

About:

i just got tickets for the womens semi final beach volley ball, so i'm more than excited.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:10 AM

About:

Anyone been called to interview as pod for the Olympics yet?
Old 31st January 2012, 02:28 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod Shin View Post
Im quite excited about the olympics coming to London next year!! @ Ian, I have also applied for the medical team. I cant wait for the announcement to be made
Did you get selected for the medical team?
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:28 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

well the GB kit was released today

I guess Chambers and Millar are happy they are banned for life

Old 22nd March 2012, 01:33 PM

About:

Re: pod on sea

No I haven't heard about volunteering in the medical team. I think they made a farce out of it as I received an email to say I been chosen to become a driver which made me fall off my chair