Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Medial plantar nerve entrapment?

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 28th February 2012, 06:14 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Medial plantar nerve entrapment?

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Hi there,
I had a patient come in today, 55yo female with a painful medial foot, basically only when she uses the clutch or foot parking brake in her car. Pain is sharp/shooting, and doesnt occur regularly. It usually resolves within minutes. The location of pain is along the dorsal 1st metatarsal, but was unable to be palpated. There was no pain on active/passive/resisted movement only some slight discomfort on DF. She is able to do as much walking/activity as she wants without reproducing the symptoms
Biomechanically, the foot was abducted compared to the left but other than that no abnormalities. Ankle DF was restricted.
I am suspecting medial plantar nerve entrapment, but am keen to hear others' thoughts. Is there much conservative treatment for this if it is a nerve entrapment? Will stretching/improving ROM help symptoms?
One option was to get an automatic car :p
Rory
Sponsored Links
Old 28th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

About:
Default Re: Medial plantar nerve entrapment?

Related threads:
Baxter's Neuritis (Medial Calcaneal Nerve Neuritis)
Neurogenic etiology of heel pain
Radiofrequency thermal lesioning for 'neuritis' heel pain
Diagnosis for all heel pain "plantar fasciitis"?
Heel pain: Biomechanical and sensory differences
Old 28th February 2012, 08:58 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by house View Post
Hi there,
I had a patient come in today, 55yo female with a painful medial foot, basically only when she uses the clutch or foot parking brake in her car. Pain is sharp/shooting, and doesnt occur regularly. It usually resolves within minutes. The location of pain is along the dorsal 1st metatarsal, but was unable to be palpated. There was no pain on active/passive/resisted movement only some slight discomfort on DF. She is able to do as much walking/activity as she wants without reproducing the symptoms
Biomechanically, the foot was abducted compared to the left but other than that no abnormalities. Ankle DF was restricted.
I am suspecting medial plantar nerve entrapment, but am keen to hear others' thoughts. Is there much conservative treatment for this if it is a nerve entrapment? Will stretching/improving ROM help symptoms?
One option was to get an automatic car :p
Rory
Rory:

The medial plantar nerve supplies the plantar foot, not the dorsal 1st metatarsal. Both the deep peroneal and medial dorsal cutaneous nerves supply the dorsal 1st metatarsal.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

E-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
Old 14th March 2012, 06:46 PM

About:

Sorry, thinking about the case again, I'd meant to say that the pain was medial/plantar 1st Met, dont know why I put dorsal...
In terms of treatment/management what can be done if it is a nerve entrapment?
Regards
Rory
Old 15th March 2012, 03:55 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Rory,

I think you need to be solid about your diagnosis of nerve entrapment, medial plantar or otherwise before you embark upon a treatment plan.

Think what tests you can do to determine if your suspected diagnosis is correct. If they turn up to be negative, what are the structures that underlay the area of greatest pain. Build up your differential diagnosis and eliminate them.

Hope this helps(hint- Tinels sign/slump/SLR)