Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: ,

'Runner's High' Played a Role in Human Evolution

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 23rd March 2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

About:
Marketplace reputation 45% (0)
Default 'Runner's High' Played a Role in Human Evolution

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
'Runner's High' Played a Role in Human Evolution
Quote:
Aerobic exercise triggers a reward system in the body of long-distance running creatures like humans and dogs, but not ferrets, a study led by UA anthropologist David Raichlen suggests.

In the last century, something unexpected happened: Humans became sedentary. We traded in our active lifestyles for a more immobile existence.
Full story
Old 27th March 2012, 08:34 AM
Banned

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Re: 'Runner's High' Played a Role in Human Evolution

This is indeed a fascinating article.

I am correct to infer by its description that I should either be a long distance runner or smoke some pot or both?

Dennis
Old 27th March 2012, 09:18 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,076 Times in 784 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeT3g7udho

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 27th March 2012, 10:40 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

I don't think they've got it quite right.

activity levels didn't increase "unexpectedly" last century. Labour saving devices in all their manifestations from car, to car park cheek by jowl with destination, washing machine, etc, etc, etc. Were designed into society because the were attractive to man.

Part of the direct or indirect commercial success of all these devices is based on the fact that, in general, man only takes exercise if he is forced by circumstances to do so. For me another self evident truth is that the more physically inactive man becomes the more he craves inactivity.

Fine. when primitive man went hunting he got some masochistic pleasure out the exercise but if he killed a mamoth, ie enough food for the next month he Would sit on his bum and eat himself silly for the next month and would feel absolutely no desire to go for a long run until the fear of starvation got him off his indolent butt.

The good feelings asociated with exercise are not enough to make the vast majoriy of people exercise. Good feeling plus imminent physical danger or the prospect of starvation is required to activate the vast majority.

It's been one of those days.

Best wishes,

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to wdd For This Useful Post:
drsha (27th March 2012)
Old 27th March 2012, 06:37 PM

About:

Dennis,

I think the take home message is that on the days you can't get out for a run, you should smoke some pot. Unless you are a ferret. And then you should just skip the run and smoke the pot. I think.

No, that doesn't sound right.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:11 AM

About:

Interesting article but I love the final paragraph: 'Raichlen also suggested that exercise could be a cheap solution to many medical conditions' Thanks for that one Captain Obvious lol
Old 28th March 2012, 03:20 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleArthur View Post
Interesting article but I love the final paragraph: 'Raichlen also suggested that exercise could be a cheap solution to many medical conditions' Thanks for that one Captain Obvious lol
the most common thing about common sense is that it is not very common

KINGSWOOD - Sucker Punch
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:20 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

I really do wonder sometimes at the quality of science that is allowed to be published (i.e. Journal of Experimental Biology), allowed to be associated with Universities & subsequently allowed to be viewed by the masses.

Humans like to run, so do dogs (observable fact that most children know)... uncooperative ferrets it would seem do not (well, look at the frontal lobe size of a ferret for starters). Hence the neurotransmitters responsible for “runner’s high” (endocannabinoid) will naturally/likely be found in the former two... I wonder about primates (why wasn’t a chimp used?); after all, doesn’t this species better fit the premise associated with the underlying reasoning – that of evolution.

I see anthropologist David Raichlen has taken a page out of anthropologist Lieberman’s book – i.e. let’s try & link our philosophical/historical view of origins to running... & pass it off as science. For evolution to be at least plausible, the conjecture needs to show evidence that its process can provide new information as well as complex, independent biomechanical pathways for starters (i.e. where did the likes of neurotransmitters & hormones originate, how, & for what reason for the speculated simple organism). Did the neuron, synapse, synaptic vesicles, chemicals etc... evolve together at once for example? Neurotransmitters & hormones are consistent with design explanation... they have a specific purpose, put in place by an intelligent source to allow many complex activities to take place all at once in various regions of the organism/body.

Evolution is nothing more than an historical myth & until the science community in general is allowed to see this & allowed to express this (without ridicule & discrimination) via following where the evidence leads, then we are going to continue to see research of this nature pop up from time to time (probably in the lame quest to secure grants??)... research/conclusions of which will also be lame, nonsensical & bankrupt of true scientific enlightenment.

There is a group/organisation which has been formed, known as “Friends of Science in Medicine” (discussed here on this forum). Frankly, the quality of the above research has the credibility standing of crystal healing, reiki therapy, new age mythology & the likes! The sooner it is gotten rid of - the better for science (& medicine).

... And then (as already discussed above) we have the bleeding obvious (for the 21st century). Probably admitted in an attempt to add some credence to the article...
Quote:
Raichlen also suggested that exercise could be a cheap solution to many medical conditions, improving our mental state through the endocannabinoids and our cardiovascular and pulmonary condition through good old-fashioned exertion.
Could” you say... there is a tonne of research pointing to the connection .

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift": Steve Prefontaine.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:10 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Double post
2014 Individual Member - Expert Witness Institute.

Email: dmholland@dunelm.org.uk

Correspondence Address: David Holland, The Nuffield Hospital, Scraptoft Lane, Leicester LE5 1HY.
.................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by davidh : 15th May 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: See above
Old 15th May 2012, 10:12 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Couple of points:

Ferrets, especially female ferrets (Jills) can move pretty quickly when they want to. Did they test the right ones?

Some of us experienced a "runners high" during our first acupuncture session. One point on my left leg was bloody painful when the needle went in - but I couldn't drive home afterwards, and the smile was with me for days.............
That was proper Japanese acupuncture mind, as used on Sumo wrestlers, and not this namby-pamby watered-down Western nonsense.

BH, where do chimps come into evolution?
Just asking.........
2014 Individual Member - Expert Witness Institute.

Email: dmholland@dunelm.org.uk

Correspondence Address: David Holland, The Nuffield Hospital, Scraptoft Lane, Leicester LE5 1HY.
.................................................. ..........................................
Old 16th May 2012, 05:58 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
Ferrets, especially female ferrets (Jills) can move pretty quickly when they want to. Did they test the right ones?
The research (if you could call it that) & subsequent assumptions (obscure to say the least) was based around endurance episodes contributing to those warm fuzzy neurotransmitters (endocannabinoid – anandamide) being released into the system... & apparently invoking our speculated ancestors to get up & start running (Ape man meet Forrest Gump). Hey, I'm a marathon runner... & I sometimes wonder if those warm fuzzy neurotransmitters are wearing thin on me these days... yet I still run. There are many reasons why I have continued running for the past 30 years - & it's not the "hit" (buzz) I get from those remarkable (inspired) neurochemicals. Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
BH, where do chimps come into evolution?
Just asking.........
In short... they don't. The above question portrays that "chimps" & their assumed relation with an evolution process is a valid relationship. It isn't. "Chimps" have naturally been subjected to Natural Selection which has likely contributed to some relatively minor changes only (compared to the assumed evolutionary changes speculated/required within primate history - heck - mammal history - heck - history of all life forms from some assumed "simple"... & needed "self-replicating" substance in some "primordial soup"... eons ago! ) - but that's it. They are not the ancestors of humans. Humans have always been just that - human ... & have always had the ability to run... for various reasons throughout history .

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift": Steve Prefontaine.