Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Tight hamstrings

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 25th April 2012, 12:23 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Tight hamstrings

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Hi

I am currently a 2nd year podiatry students who is writing up one of his first bio patients. My patient has tight hamstrings and I have heard that this can be a contributing factor towards excessive pronation. What I would like to know is:

Is this statement accurate?

If so why?

and finally does anyone have any supporting literature for this?

I have done some hunting around but can't seem to find any decent explanations etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 26th April 2012, 10:06 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Re: tight hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumley View Post
Hi

I am currently a 2nd year podiatry students who is writing up one of his first bio patients. My patient has tight hamstrings and I have heard that this can be a contributing factor towards excessive pronation. What I would like to know is:

Is this statement accurate?

If so why?

and finally does anyone have any supporting literature for this?

I have done some hunting around but can't seem to find any decent explanations etc.
Hi Ben,

Usual admonishment about learning to search for answers yourself. Your last line didn't say where you were hunting.

Anyway, I can't think of any believable way that can link tight hamstrings to STJ pronation. If you were really reaching, you could hypothesize that medial hamstring firing could internally rotate the leg and this might cause STJ pronation. Or, it could just cause you to walk adducted without affecting STJ position.

Eric
Old 26th April 2012, 10:32 AM

About:

thanks for taking the time to reply eric :) its really appreciated

ben
Old 27th April 2012, 06:13 AM

About:

Blumley

Osteopaths would argue that the hams are a continuation of the gastrocs in the superficial back line facial chain and as such tightness in the hams can result in similar in the calf. Logically you would assume this would restrict ankle joint dorsiflexion which would be compensated stj pronation. Look at Tom Myers website anatomytrains.com for more on this.
Secondly a tight biceps femoris will pull the fibula proximally and alter the fibulas relationship at the ankle. Some including myself will mobilise the proximal fibula to improve ankle joint rom. Dananberg and Paul Connelly, both contributors to thus forum mention it somewhere.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post

Osteopaths would argue that the hams are a continuation of the gastrocs in the superficial back line facial chain and as such tightness in the hams can result in similar in the calf. Logically you would assume this would restrict ankle joint dorsiflexion which would be compensated stj pronation. Look at Tom Myers website anatomytrains.com for more on this.
It's not a very convincing argument. The distal attachment of the hamstrings on the femur is separate from and does not slide in sync with proximal attachments of the gastroc. They are independent. Lack of ankle joint dorsiflexion is not always compensated by STJ pronation. If there is a laterally positioned STJ axis, you will tend to see supination of the STJ.

Quote:
Secondly a tight biceps femoris will pull the fibula proximally and alter the fibulas relationship at the ankle. Some including myself will mobilise the proximal fibula to improve ankle joint rom. Dananberg and Paul Connelly, both contributors to thus forum mention it somewhere.

Hope this helps.
The manipulation is anterior to posterior and the biceps tendon pull is inferior to supierior, so the manipulation doesn't address the displacement that you would get from the biceps tendon.

Eric
Old 27th April 2012, 03:51 PM

About:

Eric. I must respectfully disagree. While the hams and gastrocs are not directly connected they are connected by fascia. They function as one only when the knee is extended. I reference Tom Myers book Anatomy Trains pg 81.
I would agree that lack of ankle joint dorsiflexion doesn't always result in stj pronation, but the question was...could it.

Lastly the proximal fibula can be mobilised both posteriorly and anteriorly. Perhaps any osteopaths on this forum may add to this as these are osteopathy techniques/theory's . I've just looked this up to be sure. I'm referencing Clinical Applications of Neuromuscular Techniques vol 2' Chaitow, DeLany.
Old 27th April 2012, 04:39 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:

Quote:
I reference Tom Myers book Anatomy Trains pg 81.
see this thread:
The Windlass Mechanism and Fascial Winding of the Whole Body

When it comes to foot stuff that book is really really bad.

There was also this thread on tight hamstrings and plantar fasciitis
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Payne For This Useful Post:
Lorcan (28th April 2012)
Old 28th April 2012, 10:59 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Eric. I must respectfully disagree. While the hams and gastrocs are not directly connected they are connected by fascia.
And that is relevant because?....

Quote:
I reference Tom Myers book Anatomy Trains pg 81.
Sorry, I don't have the book. Could you summarize the logic?

Quote:
I would agree that lack of ankle joint dorsiflexion doesn't always result in stj pronation, but the question was...could it.
The question was could tight hamstrings cause STJ pronation. Is there a connection between hamstring tightness and ankle dorsiflexion?

Eric