Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mobilisation as an effective treatment for chronic plantar heel pain

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 8th May 2012, 07:09 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Mobilisation as an effective treatment for chronic plantar heel pain

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
I am currently undertaking a literature review and am seeking any unpublished studies or appealing to researchers in this area as to any research currently underway.

Thanks
Iona Millar
Old 15th May 2012, 05:31 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Re: Mobilisation as an effective treatment for chronic plantar heel pain

Nothing published (yet), but I have come to identify a subset of what appears as plantar fasciitis, but is really abd. hallucis muscle spasm. Manipulation of the cuboid can resolve this spontaneously.

On exam, the abd. hallucis is quite painful to exam and is just superior (as examined from the plantar surface of the foot) to the actual medial slip of the plantar fascia. The two can be carefully differentiated by exam. If it is the muscle belly which is painful, then trying a cuboid manipulation can provide immediate resolution.

Paul Connelly talks about dry needling of the abd. hallucis for the same purpose. Two different approaches to the same issue.

Howard
The Following User Says Thank You to Dananberg For This Useful Post:
moe (15th May 2012)
Old 15th May 2012, 06:27 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Re: Mobilisation as an effective treatment for chronic plantar heel pain

Hi Iona,
The presentation howard has outlined can also present and be confused clinically as a trigger point. Treating the trigger point can provide relief but usually is temporary at best. Cuboid and anterior talar displacements/stiffness are those most common etiological factors I've come across.

A couple of final year students at UniSA were undertaking a lit review last year in this area. I don't have their details with me presently but I'm sure Sara Jones could point you in their direction.

Cheers,
Ted
The Following User Says Thank You to TedJed For This Useful Post:
moe (15th May 2012)
Old 15th May 2012, 11:05 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
I am currently undertaking a literature review and am seeking any unpublished studies or appealing to researchers in this area as to any research currently underway.

Thanks
Iona Millar
Hi Iona,

No reasearch regarding plantar fascitis. However, I am working on the lateral talus and posterior innominate.
For mobilisation, you may want to look at anterior mortise for a large equinus.
Look for a lateral talus, and also you can find a posterior calcaneus.

Regards,
Stanley
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
moe (15th May 2012)
Old 15th May 2012, 12:06 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Hi Moe
Are you looking at joint or soft tissue tissue mobilisation or both.

If soft tissue then you may well find more information. Joint mobilisation may be more scarce.

In terms of joint however then Brian Mulligan's MWM's (mobilisation with movement) may be a source. Quite a lot of research has gone on with this technique.

In addition, if looking at joint work then you may need to consider whether the reported mobilisation technique of a joint in the literature is complete. For example the anterior and posterior fibular mobilisation is a common one used but, arguably, not completely done if the cephalad and caudad mobilisation aspect is left out. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Podia-Clinic
Southwick
England
www.podia-clinic.com
www.infigoeducation.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Linane For This Useful Post:
moe (15th May 2012)
Old 15th May 2012, 11:07 PM

About:

Hi and Thanks to all who have responded.
Howard I have spoken to Paul re Abd Hall, I will usually look at joint mobility of the foot as well as trigger point therapy of Abd hallucis I hadn't considered cuboid in isolation but will look for that. Thanks
Ted I grabbed the names of those students from a poster at the conference but as yet haven't yet contacted them. Thanks for the tip
Stanley I am aware of a few studies with limited evidence suggesting an association between reduced AJ dorsifelxion and CPHP so I think including the ankle mortice could improve my chances of finding information, but will look further. Thanks
Ian I had only considered joint mobilisation but as I have started looking at the literature soft tissue mobilisation keeps popping up. Thanks for the info I will follow that up.
Thanking you all kindly
Iona
Old 16th May 2012, 01:49 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Hi Moe
You're welcome and it has been interesting looking at others ideas as well.

One other thing occurred to me last night. Will you be differentiating between joint mobilisation and joint manipulation in your literature review. There can be a significant difference in their application and use.

Also, and it may be outside of what you are looking at any so ignore it if it is, but it would be rare, for me at least, that I would use a joint mobilisation in isolation from Soft Tissue work when treating plantar heel discomfort/pain. There are times when I might incorporate a joint mob into soft tissue work and vice-versa. In effect however they may be part of a single treatment session.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Podia-Clinic
Southwick
England
www.podia-clinic.com
www.infigoeducation.co.uk
Old 16th May 2012, 05:30 AM

About:

Hi Ian
I was looking specifically for joint mobilisation but will include manipulation as the literature looks bleak thus far.
Thanks again
Iona