Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Fresh Foam Technology from New Balance Running Shoes

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    They coming thick and fast now! Following on from the "paradigm shift" proposed by Brooks; the springblade and Boost from Adidas; the Hyperfeel & Flyknit from Nike; the high social media attention on the Mizuno Wave Sayonara; the launch of Topoathletic; and the FaasFoam Cushioning Scale from Puma .... have I missed any? ... we now have the launch of the Fresh Foam Technology from New Balance

According to Sneaker Report, this was announced by New Balance at the Outdoor Retailer tradeshow in Salt Lake City:
    Full story

2. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

If it comes with a pint of "fresh foam" I'm in!

3. These shoes certainly don't look minimalist...they look more maximalist and Hoka-like to me!

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    At most Ultramarathons now, typically around a third of the competitors are running in Hoka's ... who stresses the tissues the most in a race? Who has worked out that maximalism is best for them? ... don't figure that minimalism was going to cure everything - runners are voting with their feet.

5. Simon Bartold just sent me an image of another Hoka-like shoe....the Brooks Transcend....we are now entering the era of the maximalist running shoe!

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  7. Dana Roueche

Dana Roueche Well-Known Member

Really?

8. Dana Roueche

Time to see if the frequency of knee issues increase.

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The last one I was at, it was >50%.
    Why would it lead to an increase in knee injuries?

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is a write up on this in Running Insight:

Attached Files:

11. Dana Roueche

Other self conducted surveys have produced far different results than a third or 50%.

I didn't say it it would, rather its time to see if it will. The stress from running needs to go somewhere. If it is not the feet and lower legs where it is believed to show when wearing minimal shoes, could that leave the knees and hips?

So are super bulky shoes the next fad a holy grail for running?

The shoe companies are just trying to sell shoes and change is good for sales. If someone really wants to travel faster and further under their own power, they should try roller blades or a bicycle. Running is not about putting something on your feet that will give super powers.

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    New Balance think:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  13. Dana Roueche

The promise of reducing gravity or its effect has been going on for 40 years. The primary difference now is that running shoes cost 4 times as much as they did in the 70's. Will the new, miraculous running shoes allow you to run faster, further, with less injuries? I doubt it. What is the absolute, most incredible, unbelievable, must have running shoe of today will be on the clearance rack for half price in 6 months to make room for the next incredible shoe.

Over the past 40 yrs and who knows how many models of running shoes I have had the experience of wearing, I can't think of a single pair that I believe actually contributed to improve my performance. I've had shoes that I felt took away but I've never felt running shoes made me a better runner. Instead, I've had shoes that have been too heavy, too stiff, too much cushion, too much heel, were too loose, too tight, whatever. All of which comprised my ability to run my best. I have never felt there was a single pair of shoes that made me a faster runner or enabled me to run longer. Shoes have always been a necessary means of protection that always came with some sort of compromise. On the positive side, I've never had a running injury so I must assume the shoes I have worn at least played a role in my physical health.

No, the next shoe to hit the market will not have magical powers.

14. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  15. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles: