Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: , ,

Masters of Podiatry - advice please?

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 1st March 2008, 09:18 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Masters of Podiatry - advice please?

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
What options are there for a B.App.Sci(pod) who wants to pursue a masters degree? Who can give me the heads up on the best option for part time study?
Sponsored Links
Old 1st March 2008, 09:35 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Default Re: Masters of Podiatry - advice please?

The only options you have in Australia:

1. The coursework masters program at UNISA
2. A masters by research at any university
3. A courseworks masters in a different discipline (eg public health - a lot of podiatrists have done that, including me)
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 1st March 2008, 10:54 PM

About:

Thanks Craig
Old 13th March 2008, 02:04 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Baker View Post
What options are there for a B.App.Sci(pod) who wants to pursue a masters degree? Who can give me the heads up on the best option for part time study?

I was interested to see the University of London link and I know they offer a MSc in Infectious Diseases through their External System and which, I believe, would be very useful for Podiatrists interested in such to take on board.

The MSc (13 subjects or 9 subjects plus a Research Project) includes Biology of Infectious Diseases, Control of Infectious Diseases, Viral Infections, Bacteral Infections, Hospital Infections, Diagnostic Methods, Immunolgy of Infection, Parasitology, and the foundation course Principles of Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology.

A well rounded degree I think! In fact, I for one, am seriously considering undertaking this MSc - a Postgraduate Diploma (4 subjects) is also offered.

Peter Scottney-Turbill
Central Queensland University

Old 13th March 2008, 02:18 PM

About:

Thanks Peter. It's an idea I have been considering for some time. I go through fits of enthusiasm and then the practice gets very busy and I lose it for a while. I'm still very keen though at the moment.

Trent
Old 13th March 2008, 06:04 PM

About:

Quote:
Thanks Peter. It's an idea I have been considering for some time. I go through fits of enthusiasm and then the practice gets very busy and I lose it for a while. I'm still very keen though at the moment.

Trent
Yes, I would go for it because [1] you study at your own pace a range of fascinating subjects very relevant to podiatry practice and [2] being a professional practitioner the fees would be tax deductible under the self-education principle.

And...the University of London MSc in Infectious Diseases from the prestigious School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine would be one great ticket!!

Cheers

Peter

Last edited by scottneyturbill : 13th March 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: amendment
Old 13th March 2008, 06:25 PM

About:

You're selling me Peter. Are you sure you're not about to take up a position on the faculty? lol.
Old 13th March 2008, 08:39 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

[quote=scottneyturbill;34945]

And...the University of London MSc in Infectious Diseases from the prestigious School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine would be one great ticket!!
QUOTE]

And if only you could prescribe even a single antibiotic it would even be useful too. Having studied several units in Tropical Medicine at postgraduate level it was all very interesting but kind of pointless since we almost never see these things as podiatrists.

Sorry to sound cynical, but there's lots of other interesting higher degrees out there that might be more useful in day to day practice...

LL
Old 14th March 2008, 02:00 AM

About:

Quote:
You're selling me Peter. Are you sure you're not about to take up a position on the faculty? lol.
Selling?

Nah...the commission's not enough, besides I'm still in the last months of a PhD here.

But having perused the MSc information from London and in particular the synopses for each of the subjects offered, I was impressed.

Obviously, to see some of the infections studied one would have to work in a relevant environment such as within indigenous communities in northern Australia or in infectious diseases clinics in hospitals.

But all the same, if one is interested in infectious diseases, then why not undertake studies in such to broaden knowledge?

Who knows what the future holds for podiatry in Australia?

Cheers
Old 20th January 2009, 07:38 PM

About:

I always find this topic of Post-Grad study rather interesting. I guess I have two general questions regarding the UniSA coursework study...
1/ At what point is it beneficial to undertake the additional study (ie. Within a couple of years of completing uni...or well and truely after that?) I can see the benefit in both.
2/ Aside from the obvious (additional learning and furthering of knowledge) what benefit will this additional study give me professionally?
I'd really appreciate any feedback...
Old 20th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burris View Post
I always find this topic of Post-Grad study rather interesting. I guess I have two general questions regarding the UniSA coursework study...
1/ At what point is it beneficial to undertake the additional study (ie. Within a couple of years of completing uni...or well and truely after that?) I can see the benefit in both.
2/ Aside from the obvious (additional learning and furthering of knowledge) what benefit will this additional study give me professionally?
I'd really appreciate any feedback...
Burris.

My 2 cents:

Q1. Do it while the flame burns strong and you have little other family and financial committments.

Q2. At this time, very little. I predict though that as extended scope prescribing activities become widespread across the country, you will need to prove significant medical and pharmacology education - as this generally does not exist in most undergraduate degrees - so you will need the UniSA Master's or equivalent. Drug prescribing will be the most obvious medium to long term benefit.

Keep an eye on the UWA post grad courses though - once they open up to external students I feel they will be the degrees to have (ie the doctorate programs).

LL
Old 20th January 2009, 11:59 PM

About:

I have a diploma from S.I.T. and would like to upgrade to degree and eventually masters, but am restricted by mainly by time and money. I would like to further my education within podiatry.
Does anyone have any advice on suitable distance education?
Old 21st January 2009, 04:46 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLisfranc View Post
Burris.

My 2 cents:

Q1. Do it while the flame burns strong and you have little other family and financial committments.

Q2. At this time, very little. I predict though that as extended scope prescribing activities become widespread across the country, you will need to prove significant medical and pharmacology education - as this generally does not exist in most undergraduate degrees - so you will need the UniSA Master's or equivalent. Drug prescribing will be the most obvious medium to long term benefit.

Keep an eye on the UWA post grad courses though - once they open up to external students I feel they will be the degrees to have (ie the doctorate programs).

LL

Thanks very much for the words of advice LL. It's much appreciated. I've been thinking down this track for a while, and think that 09 might just be the year!
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:46 AM

About:

I have just completed my Master at Uni SA by coursework and found it to be interesting as you have a fair choice in the Podiatry specific subjects from which to choose, some of these require workshop type attendance at the campus for 4-5days.

There are some core subjects that must be completed and you can work at your own pace, so a good experience.I started one year post degree but as I am mature age it was keep going whilst the iron was hot.

Not sure if any immeadiate benefits to my current position but I certainly gained knowledge and developed skills in discussions and essay/ report writing and met more great Podiatry people.
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:24 AM
Podiatry Arena Rookie

About:

What about broadening your skills in a Master of Health and Medical Law either through the University of Melbourne or Sydney (MHealthLaw)? There is also another option at Uni of Sydney in Master of Health Humanities. Only drawback is there is no commonwealth support with regard to fees- most are full fee paying, which can result in a hefty contribution. I was tempted by the MHealth and Medical Law, but going overseas this year so have not yet signed up.
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:34 AM

About:

I think it is fantastic that the next generation of Podiatrists will have the opportunity to become Doctors of Podiatry and Masters in our profession.

I am afraid that I will not progress beyond what I have, I will still attend the National and State confrence if they have something new to offer and not bore me with stats that go nowhere to help me treat my patients. I require an income like all of us to survive and I cannot employ anyone to take over my practice so I can get another certificate to put up on my wall.

In the last 2 years I worked for 2 other Podiatists, it meant that they could concentrate on studies and attain higher qualifications. They are both doing well.

Don Scott
Old 22nd January 2009, 03:33 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaligned View Post
I have just completed my Master at Uni SA by coursework and found it to be interesting as you have a fair choice in the Podiatry specific subjects from which to choose, some of these require workshop type attendance at the campus for 4-5days.

There are some core subjects that must be completed and you can work at your own pace, so a good experience.I started one year post degree but as I am mature age it was keep going whilst the iron was hot.

Not sure if any immeadiate benefits to my current position but I certainly gained knowledge and developed skills in discussions and essay/ report writing and met more great Podiatry people.
Hi Malaligned... Do you mind me asking how long it took you to complete your Masters at UniSA? And how much time you were contributing to it throughout the semesters? It's always good coming from the horses mouth!
Old 25th January 2009, 07:27 PM

About:

Hi Burris,

happy to answer any questions.

It took me three years as I only had to gain 36 units (this is determined by the years spent on your podiatry degree , 3 or 4 years) and each subject is either 4.5 units or 9 units if a more complex subject.

the first year I managed three subjects = 13.5
second year one subject worth 9
third year three subjects, two worth 4.5 and one worth 9 = 13.5

but you can work this how you want and it also depends if the subject must be attended on campus, this requires more money and time.

hope this helps
Old 28th January 2009, 01:25 AM

About:

I have heard a rumour that University of Western Sydney is going to offer a Master of Podiatry in 2010. Might be worth checking out (& closer to home for you too!)
Cheers,
Kara
Old 28th January 2009, 03:19 AM

About:

Hi Kara,

Any idea if the Masters you mentioned has surgical subjects required by the ACPS?

Cheers
Old 28th January 2009, 04:00 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Yes - it contains all the core subjects required by the College.

LL
Old 28th January 2009, 04:54 PM

About:

Thanks Kara!

A masters at UWS would be just the ticket for me and many others. I don't know if it will happen though because of the podiatry school winding up! There have been several rumours over the last few years about courses which never eventuated.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 28th January 2009, 06:09 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara47 View Post
I have heard a rumour that University of Western Sydney is going to offer a Master of Podiatry in 2010. Might be worth checking out (& closer to home for you too!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyfoot View Post
A masters at UWS would be just the ticket for me and many others. I don't know if it will happen though because of the podiatry school winding up! There have been several rumours over the last few years about courses which never eventuated.
I have no "inside" information, but from what I understand, the rumoured masters at UWS is an entry level qualification.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 29th January 2009, 01:30 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara47 View Post
Cheers,
Kara
I think you will find talk of any Masters Degree at UWS currently would refer to the "undergrad" concept, and would not be open to inclusion of "post graduate" intake at this present time.

Although not impossible, at present I am sure talk/discussion/planning would simply be around starting a degree which could output students first - any tack on for post grads would come much later.

If indeed there is actually any talk going on at all.....if you know what I mean!
Old 29th January 2009, 04:24 AM

About:

Speaking of Masters programs, im just starting the unisa masters and was wondering if any one has any of the core subject textbooks they wish to sell?
Old 29th January 2009, 04:55 PM

About:

I knew it sounded too good to be true!
Old 30th January 2009, 02:04 AM

About:

Aussie Bec,

my advice is to borrow from library rather than buy the text unless is something you will use for podiatry practice. I found most available this way
cheers
Old 11th April 2012, 08:25 PM

About:

i too am thinking of going along this path. the Master in Podiatric Medicine in UniWA appealed to me, has anyone completed this or is presently doing this course? is it difficult to enter this program?
Old 12th April 2012, 04:15 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Brad why not do a Masters via Research at UWS?
Old 15th April 2012, 07:37 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bowles View Post
Brad why not do a Masters via Research at UWS?
Thanks Paul, I may just do that one day, but time and financial constraints make it a pipe dream at the moment!