Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Adhesive for Orthotics

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by overpronator, Feb 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. overpronator

overpronator Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a pair of orthotics and they are relatively new. However, the hard shell on the bottom is starting to separate from the spenco type top. It isn't serious but I want to do a simple repair to prevent any further damage.

What would be a good adhesive to bond the spenco type top to the plastic bottom?

Some one suggested super glue or shoe goo, but I am not sure they would be suitable for this purpose.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

2. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

How old are the orthoses? If they are relatively new as you suggest most labs have a warranty on top covers. Return it to the Podiatrist who will send it back to the lab for a refurbishment.

3. overpronator

overpronator Welcome New Poster

Honestly I am looking for a solution so I don't have to send them out and wait for more than 1 day (so the adhesive can dry). I am looking for a in-house or at home solution. Thanks.

4. N.Smith

N.Smith Active Member

Use any contact adhesive ie: Quick Grip. (you'll only need a small tube)
    If you've got any acetone, clean the old glue off first, then brush a small amount of glue, evenly on both sides of the Spenco. Make sure you keep the materal seperated! Wait for it to be touch dry then stick it down. For better results, heat the area (not too much!) with a hair dryer on hot before sticking it.
    Cheers,
    Neil

5. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Ok no problems - then take Neils advice above, he is one guy who would know!!!

:)

6. PodAus

PodAus Active Member

Quikgrip is quick, easy and effective. Add a pair of surgical scissors, 7mm adhevise felt, selection of 4mm Heel lifts, RF wedges and Met domes, a variety of top covers, along with a grinder, allows virtually any in-house orthotic mod / repair.

Any Practitioner whom interacts with prescription orthoses must be able and equipped to modifiy / repair them in clinic, usually during consultation.

Cheers,

Paul D

7. rob_orthotic lab

rob_orthotic lab Welcome New Poster

don't use a super glue or shoe goo. A contact cement is what you need. I fabricate orthotics and that is what I use. Also if the shell is smooth, rough it up with a 80 grit sandpaper to get a better bond.

Rob
    www.robsrepairshop.com

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  8. You want to use a contact cement on orthosis topcovers. You can use rubber cement but it won't last very long. I use Barge cement in the office. It is very durable. You can also just go to the local hardware store, ask for a contact cement, and use that....it will work just fine.

9. footdoctor

footdoctor Active Member

Hi Overpronator,

What part of the world are you in?

Reason I ask is that Kevin has recommended Barge cement, unfortunately it's not available in the U.K.

We currently use Renia colle de cologne, it works well for neo top cover to polypro shell.

I would recommend that you remove the old adhesive with acetone based remover and abrade the surface with high grit sandpaper then wash and dry thoroughly before applying a thin, even coat of adhesive to both the poly shell and spenco/neo topcover, wait till touch dry, heat reactivate and bond from distal- shell tip to proximally- heel cup, take care to avoid air bubbles.

Good luck

Scott

10. Jeremy Long

Jeremy Long Active Member

I agree with Scott. With much personal experimentation, the German orthopedic cements have been clearly more versatile and reliable compared to all the others we tried in our lab (Barge and Masters included).

Renia makes a cement called Ortek that is reliable and maintains its viscosity well. The good thing about Colle De Cologne is the flexibility in adding appropriate modifiers to it. This cement coupled with their PU primer is indispensable when working with modern orthopedic footwear. In your particular case I would expect the Red hardening agent would supply the hold you need while maintaining appropriate flexibility.

11. Zac

Zac Active Member

What is a good contact adhesive available in Australia? I have been using a product through a vinyl/material supplier but it is not always a convenient way to buy & I thought maybe a Bunnings or similar might have some suitable options.

12. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Any Neoprene based adhesive will do.

For a supllier try www.leffler.com.au good prices and delivery and if you are a member of the APMGFA you get an extra 20% off list price on all materials.

Also Algeos have some good adhesives too.

When we use a neoprene based adhesive we apply to both surfaces, dry a little with the heat gun and stick the cover on whilst it is still warm and its back in the clients shoe in 10 min. once it has cooled, very quick this time of year

13. Andy B

Andy B Welcome New Poster

So, I went to my podiatrist for custom orthotic insoles. They cost $300 and I was pleasantly surprised that insurance paid for them. Now, I wore them for a few months and brought them back and complained and they were able to rehab them (they originally asked for $80 but I had hardly worn them). The top coat is a thin layer that is glued onto the actual orthotic and as you wear them and the heat of your body loosens up the top coat, it begins to shift. It looks like they use rubber cement but I wonder if there is something more permanent. I have gotten some good ideas here, such as removing the old glue (but how much do you remove or only what is exposed when you pull up the area that has shifted?) and then put a little adhesive on and let it dry a little so it is tacky and maybe also use heat from a blow dryer. One podiatrist made his orthotics all in one piece which is preferable. I almost bought rubber cement for the repair but wondered if there is anything more reliable and dependable. I want to deal with it before the entire top coat shifts and not just the corner. Thanks in advance to one and all for your advice.

14. efuller

efuller MVP

Andy B,
    The advice up to this point in the thread was all good. Hardware store, contact cement. Apply cement to both sides of things you want to stick together. Let the solvent mostly evaporate to leave just the adhesive. The rougher the surface, the more points of contact for the adhesive to stick to. Rubber cement is not strong enough.