Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

working in the ststes

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by wdd, Mar 23, 2014.

1. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This was the original title of a thread currently being spun and which I thought might be interestingly persued in the more light hearted area of the breakroom, although I think that sometimes breakroom is a euphemism for torture chamber.

When I first read the title I thought that it represented a coded message that only a select few might decipher and decipher it I did.

Working in the 'ststes' clearly refers to working in 'altered states' and what is being asked is what do you think about podiatrists working in altered states?

To me it is axiomatic that the only way to work is in an altered state!

The author makes no attempt to differentiate between drug induced and psychogenic so let's include both.

Before you jump to the moral highground how many of you have, after an evening of alcohol induced 'altered state', done the arithmetic while lying in bed recovering, that lets you know roughly how much alcohol you will still have in your blood when you pick up a scalpel the next day. The formula I use is four hours to get into your blood and one hour for each unit of alcohol to get out of the body or at least out of the blood.

Let's say you knock back 20units of alcohol by the time you go to bed and that four of the units have already been processed by the time you go to bed. That means that you require sixteen hours to get rid of the remaining alcohol.

That also means that when you start your work the next day you are still in a considerably altered state and will be for most of the day.

I have said nothing about altered states induced by other types of drug or even by the raging argument you have just as you are leaving for work.

How do you prevent or at least alter these altered states to minimise their interference with your scalpel action, etc?

Bill

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi Bill

It could be argued that you have to be stark raving bonkers (at socio-psychological variance for the PC brigade) to practice pod anyway. - I'm off to the pub to try to break your formula!

Cheers

Bill

3. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Bill (s)

This is very interesting.

I have also been in an altered state and have made a couple of observations...if I may.

The main obstacle is not so much the rate of decrease in BAC/hr but what is the starting point, i.e., the maximum BAC, per volume, at which the calculation should commence.

Variables such as the metabolic constant, the water content by volume of the blood, the amount of alcohol per drink, number of drinks imbibed and over what time period all need to be quantified in order to obtain the peak BAC.

The other problem I have found is that the probability of a correct computation is inversely proportional to the peak BAC (although the degree of confidence by the subject performing said calculation is directly proportional)

Steve