Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Live fish used to give pedicure

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Re: Are fishes replacing the scalpel?

Thank God for that, I personally would not like my feet to be sterilized.

While my feet cannot reproduce I don´t fancy the destruction of all living microorganisms.

2. What is this obsession with sterile? Assuming you have no open wounds you can wade through ankle deep slurry with no ill effects (apart from the smell). You don't sterilize the bathwater, the swimming pool or the sea. You don't sterilize your socks. You don't sterilize the still warm shoes at the bowling alley. You reflexologist does not sterilize his/her hands or bottle of cream.

This is a novelty, not a medical treatment. I really can't see what the fuss is all about.

3. I also think most get confused between very very clean and sterile.

Open your instrument packet no longer sterile just very clean.

Clean the feet with a skin prep, not sterile just very clean.

4. great marketing also.

They can claim sterile fish do the eating, most will go wow, cool must be clean, Ive no worries.

But all it means is that the fish can´t reproduce ............ :D

5. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D

6. Catfoot

7. magda66

magda66 Active Member

8. Lizzy1so

Lizzy1so Active Member

My best friend informed me at the weekend that she is taking her teenage daughter to one of these places as a "treat" and "something nice to do together"- is it just me, but I can think of many other things I would rather do in order to spend quality time with my daughter. I know for a fact she has fungal nails and a tendency to self treat a chronic ingroing nail (I have offered to treat for gratis - too stubborn). I have real concerns about cross infection, in my opinion this is on parr with the foot soup they try and make you put your feet in at the swimming pool.

9. peace

peace Member

Hello

I have tried this a few weeks ago and I have to say it really did get rid of a lot of my hard skin. A few weeks later my feet are still smooth and nice.

10. bondjanine

bondjanine Welcome New Poster

It appears to be very therapeutic, there is a fish spa in cardiff!

11. Catfoot

Bondjanine,

Would that be for the fish or the clients ? :confused:

CF

12. Dawn Thomas

Dawn Thomas Member

Fish pedicures

Hi, Has anyone had experience of their patients presenting with any infections or adverse effects following a fish pedicure. Had lots of patients enquiring re safety/ infections and true benefits. Went to have a session for " research purposes" and cant say I enjoyed the experience at all!!!!( Although my feet have been beautifully soft without applying my usual emollients)

13. Disgruntled pod

Disgruntled pod Active Member

Re: Fish pedicures

The best thing to say to people is that you can't comment on safety/ infections and true benefits. The fish may be very good for dry skin but not proper hard skin. For that you need proper chiropody!

14. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

15. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

fish tanks and feet

my receptionist just asked me why i dont provide the nice fish in the tank for the feet.After much thought and deliberation ive just ordered a 1500 gallon glass tank and 5000 ravenous amazonian piranahs the staff should have benefits after all

16. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

17. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    I missed this when it first came out:

Press Release:
    Fish pedicures unlikely to cause infection
    18 October 2011

18. Jose Antonio Teatino

Jose Antonio Teatino Well-Known Member

We present a photograph on the subject

Attached Files:

19. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

And l bet the "band-aid" on the left foot will stay on in the water to protect all that it is hiding too.

20. Jose Antonio Teatino

Jose Antonio Teatino Well-Known Member

Good observer ...

21. NewsBot

Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  22. NewsBot

Articles: