Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ultrasound referring in Aus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by björn, Jan 11, 2011.

1. björn

björn Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I have on many occasions referred to my local radiological imaging for ultrasound without any issues. The patient pays for the services and then heads to medicare to claim some or most of the amount back. I was told by a radiographer friend, that I could refer to public hospitals where the patient would be bulk billed completely.

So, a patient of mine trots off to the public hospital, who inform him they can conduct the xray (achilles/ calc) but not the ultrasound? He would require a GP referral.

The argument was that because it's a public hospital (and they only bulk bill) a podiatrist referral cannot be accepted?

Have the public hospital stuffed up or is this correct??

Regards,

björn

2. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Unless it is a specific condition of Public Health Facility which it may well be. They should accept Podiatrist referrals. Dont be surprised though if the reason behind it is that Medicare rebate more for a GP US referral than a Podiatry written one - go figure!!!

3. björn

björn Active Member

Thanks Paul, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I will chase this up with medicare.

4. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

We refer regularly for ultrasounds to 4 imaging departments in public hospitals in Melbourne.
    They have stuffed up. I would ring them up and work out the reason. How frustrating for you, often that is where you get some of the best reports.

5. Mark_M

Mark_M Active Member

My local imaging company bulk bills my patients for diagnostic ultrasound, it could be worth checking a few other companies

6. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

I would ask to speak to the manager of the department. I would imagine this is a simple administrative oversight.

Public hospitals can be a bit slow to keep up with legislation, in my own local experience.

LL