Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Leg stiffness asymmetry: clinical implications

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Simon Spooner, Jun 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ahh see what you saying.
    If looking from potential energy of both legs/springs it should be +/-0 there are 2 parts of the formula you adjust, spring stiffnes and displacement of CoM.

So the answer would be displacement of CoM in the question

0.04618m

2. An asymmetric CoM displacement pathway can offer the same potential energy storeage when the leg stiffnesses are different as a symmetric pathway can when the leg stiffnesses are the same, perhaps. Which makes sense from an evoutionary point of view.

So why does limping have a higher metabolic cost?

3. musmed

musmed Active Member

Dear team

a couple of things, if the patient has a leg length difference proven by CT ( I presume) it must be present when lying down and standing. The only difference is pelvic shift.

Dr. Kirby. I read a paper years ago, i think it was in 1996 where the Canadian ballet men's shoes were altered. They changed the depth of one of the shoes without their knowledge. They complained when there was a difference of 1/16th of an inch or greater. So yes the brain knows everything, it's just our ability to read the writing consciously.

Weird as it sounds I have been plagued all my life when I walk into a room where the floor is not totally level. I feel instantly nauseated.

Lovely day for winter, 23C here sunny little wind. 2 days ago blew at 130Km and cold!
    Regards
    Paul conneely
    www.musmed.com.au