Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nanoparticles saftey and silver dressings

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Greg Fyfe, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Greg Fyfe

Greg Fyfe Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    More things to wonder about

recently heard about the unknown health effects of nanoparticles, used in sunscreens, cosmetics and some medical applications.

I wondered about the use of silver dresings on wounds in this context and if anyone had more info to offer.

from a brief websearch the below

From Wikipedia

Safety Issues
    See also: Nanotoxicology , Fine particles, and Regulation of nanotechnology
    Nanoparticles present possible dangers, both medically and environmentally.[20] Most of these are due to the high surface to volume ratio, which can make the particles very reactive or catalytic.[21] They are also able to pass through cell membranes in organisms, and their interactions with biological systems are relatively unknown.[22] However, free nanoparticles in the environment quickly tend to agglomerate and thus leave the nano-regime, and nature itself presents many nanoparticles to which organisms on earth may have evolved immunity (such as salt particulates from ocean aerosols, terpenes from plants, or dust from volcanic eruptions)[citation needed]. A fuller analysis is provided in the article on nanotechnology.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "Animal studies have shown that some nanoparticles can penetrate cells and tissues, move through the body and brain and cause biochemical damage they also have shown to cause a risk factor in men for testicular cancer. But whether cosmetics and sunscreens containing nanomaterials pose health risks remains largely unknown, pending completion of long-range studies recently begun by the FDA and other agencies."[23] Diesel nanoparticles have been found to damage the cardiovascular system in a mouse model.[24]

In October 2008, the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), within the California Environmental Protection Agency, announced its intent to request information regarding analytical test methods, fate and transport in the environment, and other relevant information from manufacturers of carbon nanotubes.[25] The term "manufacturers” includes persons and businesses that produce nanotubes in California, or import carbon nanotubes into California for sale. The purpose of this information request will be to identify information gaps and to develop information about carbon nanotubes, an important emerging nanomaterial.

On January 22, 2009, a formal information request letter [26] was sent to manufacturers[27] who produce or import carbon nanotubes in California, or who may export carbon nanotubes into the State. This letter constitutes the first formal implementation of the authorities placed into statute by AB 289 (2006) and is directed to manufacturers of carbon nanotubes, both industry and academia within the State, and to manufacturers outside California who export carbon nanotubes to California. This request for information must be met by the manufacturers within one year.

Interesting.

Cheers
    Greg

2. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Hi Greg,

As I understand it nanosilver is now impregnated into nurses uniforms, hospital curtains, biros, socks, Semmes-Weinstein Standard Fibres, insoles and food packaging. It kills microbes.

When the hospital laundry washing machine discharges, the nanosilver is discharged into the drains, killing microbes there. Then into the rivers...., then into the ocean....

The American Food & Safety Authorities have become aware of the threat to the environment and have moved to control its use.

I must ask, 'is the silver in wound/ulcer dressings nanosilver, or colloidal silver, or silver nitrate? All kill microbes, but are their actions the same?

(Apparently Romans BC would toss a silver coin into a barrel of water to keep it fresh)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  3. In my mispent youth, I worked for a pharmaceutical company that brought Silvadene (silver sulfadiazene - micronized) to market. The target market was for use in burn units for second and third degree burns. This product become the technology of choice over silver nitrate dressing, Betadine (not really a burn agent), and other products previously used in major burn centers.

Now we provide at our pedorthic shoe store socks with silver fibers woven into the sock material. The that claim to reduce bateria counts by 99.9% as well as a conductive stocking garment with silver fibers to delivery nightime electrostimulation therapy for diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

How should one explain the safety of these products to customers from the other silver products that are generating a concern for the environment?

PS I must confess that I have been a lurker at Podiatry Arena for several years and reaped a great deal of wisdom of the many postings that I have read over this time. Perhaps there should be a subgroup of Podiatry Arena members called Lurkers Anonymous with a 12 step program to address their situation.

4. I think the poster who said the safety of nano-particles has still to be quantified summed this up.Salad cream contains colloidal oil,are these nano-particles?If they are then I hope they're safe.