Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Help with our bachelor assignment - choosing a running shoe from 3 different test's

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kapper86, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Kapper86

Kapper86 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

I read this forums thread "Optimal amount of pronation finally declared" (http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=33053)
    and thought you might be able to help us.

We are two students from Denmark writing our bachelor assignment at the moment. Our assignment is about choosing the right running shoe. We are comparing three tests’ to see if they all lead to the same type of running shoe. Test nr. 1 is The Foot Posture Index, which is a static assessment of the foot, to determine whether the foot is supinated, neutral, pronated or highly pronated. Test nr. 2 i a quality test, where we video tape the subject running in 3 types of shoes; a neutral trainer, a stability trainer and a motion control trainer. We will then determine which of the shoes we think fits the person best. Test nr. 3 is a quantitative test where we measure the angle between the heel bone and the calf, at the moment where the pronation of the subject’s foot is the most.
    At the end we are comparing all three methods to determine if there is a correlation between the results. If there is, it would be interesting, because the Foot Posture Index test is a much more simple test to perform and you don’t need a treadmill, video cameras etc.
    To compare the test we need to set up some cut-points in especially test nr. 2 and 3, from which we can determine, which of the three shoes are better.
    In the quality test we need cut-points on how the motion in the angle should look like, so we can do the assessment equal. An example could be, we think it’s better if the motion is smoothly, rather than the pronation movement is kind of a quick snap, as you sometimes see.
    Could you guys help us with your thoughts on which cut-points you would choose?
    In test nr. 3 we need some literature to specify a “optimal” angle between the heel bone and the calf. We know that this is a tricky question, because all runners are different and some might hyperpronate with no problems at all and so on. But perhaps there is some literature that gives some information about the subject so we can set up some cut-points. The literature could perhaps also be about a higher injury incidence in hyperpronated runners where the authors have measured the angle.
    Do any of you guys know of literature that could help us?

Best Regards
    Frans and Kasper

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

3. Kapper86

Kapper86 Welcome New Poster

Thank you Ian, I have just read your blog, and I think there is alot of the references we can use.

4. Griff

Griff Moderator

No problem - let me know if you want any of them.

While you're here, (and for what it's worth), I think that you have taken on a rather large task for a BSc project. You may find simplifying it all a bit is required. Just my opinion of course.

All the best

Ian

5. efuller

efuller MVP

You have run into some classic research problems: definitions. How do you know you have chosen the right shoe without your reason being circular. Suppose you decide that the right shoe is 6 inches longer than the longest toe. You then test the shoes and behold the shoe that is closest to 6 inches longer is the right one. You'll probably not have any nail problems in the shoe. You will do well in clown college. But, you may trip a lot. How do you know what is the right shoe?

How do you define smooth movement. It sounds like you might be describing pronation velocity.

Before you use lines on a heel, be sure that you can repeat the measurement. Then be sure that heel bisection line means something. A lot of people have used it, but why did they use it, and were they correct in using it. (Why is eversion bad? Is it bad?)

One way to approach this is look at how those three types of shoes differ in mechanical properties and then make your test relevant to those properties. For example, motion control shoes often have a dual density midsole that is designed to shift the center of pressure more medial. This, in theory should reduce pronation velocity at heel contact. The subtalar joint axis is quite variaible across feet. Different feet will respond differently to a medial shift in the location of ground reaction force. (I'm leaving a little theory out here). Supination resistance is a test that correlates with STJ axis position. The right shoe for a medially deviated STJ axis foot would probably be different than a foot with a laterally positioned STJ axis. Your measure could be pronation velocity at heel contact. If all you have is a video camera that can advance frame by frame, and its fast enough, you could use the number of frames as a time measure of pronation velocity.

Eric