Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Piriformis syndrome in knee osteoarthritis patients after wearing rocker bottom shoes

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Jul 3, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Piriformis syndrome in knee osteoarthritis patients after wearing rocker bottom shoes.
    Byeon GJ, Kim KH.
    Korean J Pain. 2011 Jun;24(2):93-9

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

l would like to see the shoe used in this trial, so many shoes are referred to as "Rocker sole" when that is the portion causing the least of the concerns

Is it the rocker portion or the S.A.C.H portion, that most of these products feature, causing this problem.

4. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

Agreed. Rocker sole shoe is a very vague description. What type of rocker sole shoe? S.A.C.H. heel or not? Where is the apex of the rocker? What is the degree of the rocker? It would seem to me that there are a wide variety of variables that could affect this study.

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

If you chaps send me your email addresses I will forward you a copy of the article - but beware, you may still have the same questions even after reading it.

IG

6. Lisa Preston

Lisa Preston Member

I would also like an opinion on readily-available soft mid sole 'rocker' shoes worn by so many women... when I observe them walking, over-pronation due to the collapsed midsole after even a short time of wear is very obvious. Have you seen more symptoms from this group of (primarily) women? arch pain, knee pain? When they go back into winter shoes are there symptoms worse or get better? Just out of interest it has been in my tiny mind for a while to ask some experts.
    Thanks.

7. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

I am not a fan of the soft, heel-to-toe rocker bottom shoes. It's not necessarily because I don't like the technologies, but I don't like the way they are marketed and sold. The brands under the greatest scrutiny advertise the fitness/toning/cellulite & fat burning benefits of the shoes. They are mass marketed via the internet and department stores with little or no fitting or consultation. Some brands provide instructional DVDs that emphasize the fitness and toning benefits, while minimizing or omitting precautions to take when wearing these shoes.

One company spent millions hiring retired football and basketball players, suggesting that wearing their brand of "unstable" rockers would help them launch a comeback. Could you imagine playing football or basketball in an unstable, heel-to-toe rocker sole shoe? It's a frontal plane injury waiting to happen.

When I see people pronating or supinating excessively in these shoes, I have no problems stopping them and asking them about their shoes. Almost everyone of them bought online or picked them up at an outlet or department store. They were completely unaware that it was their responsibility to overcome the instability built-into the shoes, and to also be mindful of the terrain they walked on. Nobody watched them walk, or "coached" them about the proper walking technique, and precautions to take.

This is a key reason why I prefer "stable" rocker sole shoes (Ryn, Finnamic, Sano, Aetrex BodyWorks, Chung Shi). These shoes have much better medial/lateral, frontal plane stability, are orthotic friendly, and the wearer also has a much better sense of control wearing them on a wider variety of surfaces. The "stable" rocker sole shoes are marketed as shoes that protect your body from the repetitive stress of walking on concrete, and they tend to be sold by independent, "sit-and-fit" pedorthic and comfort shoe retailers, instead of large, self-service department stores. It's a technical, consultative sale.

The right rocker-sole shoe, coupled with attentive service can provide very positive results for a wide variety of common pathologies. They are certainly not the panacea for all ills, but they can be a very useful tool in the hands of responsible retailers that know when to sell them, and when not to sell them.

8. Lisa Preston

Lisa Preston Member

I appreciate your comprehensive reply, and love the thought of you also stopping people in the street - I have been tempted so I need to get braver! I also prefer stable rockers and regularly explain the difference between a Finnamic and other softer soled readily available brands.
    Thanks once again
    Lisa

9. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

See: toning shoes

10. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

11. Lisa Preston

Lisa Preston Member

Thank you for this, I have noted your Facebook link and will share your blog, kind regards Lisa